SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
bgeoffreyburnham
bgeoffreyburnham is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway rental advice in DC

I am going to be in Washington. DC April 8-13 and wanted to know if anyone had recommendations based on experiences renting a Segway in that area. Previously, I did a tour with Capitol Segway which lists itself as the only "Official Segway" tour facility in the area. I thought the tour was great but one thing we didn't do on the tour was to actually go into any of the tourist areas. Rather, we drove to them and by them. This year I would like just to rent a Segway and take some time and actually go into some of the places. On their website, Capitol Segway indicates they don't rent Segways except as part of the large group tour. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.... Also, if anyone knows of a service that will do a private Segway tour, I would be interested in that as well....Thanks

Geoff
bgeoffreyburnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
doctorkurtschleg
doctorkurtschleg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

You might give these folks a call: http://harborsegs.com. They are located just south of the DC beltway in National Harbor on the banks of the Potomac River. I know they do tours from there into Old Town Alexandria, VA, but I don't know if they rent Segways.
doctorkurtschleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
otis
otis is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Segs in the City www.segsinthecity.com rents segways in DC. They also do private tours. The one issue in DC is that the National Park Service does not permit segways on the National Mall which may explain why your tour did not do these things.
otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
zzcarolyn
zzcarolyn will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default caritol segs private tour

Capitol Segway will do private tours. They have to schedule it around their group tours, tho. Call and ask them. Weekdays will be easier to schedule.
zzcarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default We have great tour operators in DC

As has been mentioned. One that has not been mentioned is City Segway tours. All of them work with the local Segway owner's community.

Capital Segway is the Segway dealer in DC - which is where you get the authorized tour from.

City Segway Tours is one of the orginal tour operators in town, and works with lots of folks.

Segs in the City is a long time tour operator in DC and elsewhere.

Harbor Segs is on the southern edge of the beltway and works closely with another local Segway dealer, Segway of Annapolis.

If you are looking to rent a Segway for use, not just a tour, try any of them, but be aware this is prime Segway Tour season, so Segway rentals may not be cheap or readily available.

But in Downtown DC Segways are not allowed on the sidewalks in the central business district (thanks to one of the Segway tour operations - and I will not mention which one) nor are Segways allowed on National Park property (especially during peak cherry blossom time.)

Now if you are handicapped (really are, and not pulling someones leg - which people tend to do) you will be approached by the park police, but they are very understanding. Though they ask you do not use Segways in the busy mounment grounds areas like the WWII moument, or on the tiny trails where around the tidal basin.

Enjoy your trip to DC, and remember on a Segway there is so much more to see in DC than just the downtown and national mall area.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote