SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
jimbo74
jimbo74 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default i167 IRC tires question before purchase

I am interested in purchasing the IRC tires and or the MFG "enhanced traction" type, but have a few questions.
My tires are originals, and though I'm disabled I do enjoy the challenge of riding the dirt and sandy trails up in the foothills near my home. My old tires are slipping if I'm not extremely careful. What can I expect from a new set of better tires?

1. How do they do indoors on smooth clean floors as regards squeaks and leaving marks? I often use my machine in malls and stores and even art museums.

2. I watched the video on Youtube for installing them, but suspect I don't have the dexterity or strength to complete the change to my own rims. Local bicycle and auto shops won't even try to change a Segway tire. (friend attempted) Suggestions where to buy or swap a set with my old ones?

3. Do they require a tube on ALL machines?

4. Can they be slimed? We have goat head spiky plants here that puncture everything in site but the green slime prevents this.

Jim
jimbo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
BoscoBob
BoscoBob is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
I am interested in purchasing the IRC tires and or the MFG "enhanced traction" type, but have a few questions.
My tires are originals, and though I'm disabled I do enjoy the challenge of riding the dirt and sandy trails up in the foothills near my home. My old tires are slipping if I'm not extremely careful. What can I expect from a new set of better tires?

1. How do they do indoors on smooth clean floors as regards squeaks and leaving marks? I often use my machine in malls and stores and even art museums.

2. I watched the video on Youtube for installing them, but suspect I don't have the dexterity or strength to complete the change to my own rims. Local bicycle and auto shops won't even try to change a Segway tire. (friend attempted) Suggestions where to buy or swap a set with my old ones?

3. Do they require a tube on ALL machines?

4. Can they be slimed? We have goat head spiky plants here that puncture everything in site but the green slime prevents this.

Jim
I can address the first question: My IRC tires squeak less than my original tires. Grip is fantastic. My local store is all linoleum and not a single mark. I do notice that they will leave tracks, more than the originals, when wet. They will grab area rugs and entry rugs if a turn is made.

I have tubes in my tire, no slime. The rubber seems "harder" and I worry less about punctures, although we do not have the evil goat's head stickers here (does small blessing after remembering barefoot in a patch of those @#%!ers).

I have noticed range is decreased due to higher rolling resistance. I run them at 22PSI which seems to help and still gives a decent ride.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
jimbo74

5 yr Member

Good grip, no squeak, check and check,, your perspective is most appreciated, and enough for me to have just placed an order for some IRC's on i180 rims. I understand the wheels are interchangeable on the first generations?.

Can't wait!

Jim
Old 05-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
felix_fetche
felix_fetche is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

i put 21x7x10 tyres without tube.
maxxis razr2 is also extreme tyre, extra grip and nice look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0341.jpg (99.8 KB, 39 views)
felix_fetche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
jimbo74

5 yr Member

Received the IRC tires mounted on 180 rims. I've taken my 167 up some pretty steep trails in the past but did also find it's traction limits too.

I could feel the difference of grip and comfort immediately. This is a very significant upgrade which provides increased comfort, safety, and all around enjoyment to new levels.

Very very pleased indeed!! :-)
Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
vantramp
vantramp is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks for the quick review Jimbo, I have been thinking about doing this too. You said the comfort was increased, by that do you mean the ride is softer or more forgiving? Or is it just due to increased confidence about the traction?

I tend to ride my seg all over the ranch and still take it in town fairly often so just increasing the traction without going all the way to the bigger XT type tires will be a good move for me too I think.

-Mike
vantramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
jimbo74

5 yr Member

My pleasure Van,
Though, it would be true the increased traction definitely allows a greatly improved sense of "I can handle this environment more safely", it is also a softer, more yielding ride. The sidewalks near me have cracks and height drops which previously felt jarring despite my knees slightly bent "shock absorber posture", and now it is like there is a high quality comfort mat under my feet, shielding me as I ride. I do want to state that I have not confirmed what the shipped tire pressure actually is from the dealer, which could be attributed, but from the first glide I could feel it was positively different than the stock tire by a wide margin.

Jim
Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
vantramp

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks Jim, That is exactly what I was hoping for. I guess I will move these up on my list of priorities

-Mike
Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
jimbo74

5 yr Member

And when you do, let us know please!

BTW I had a Roadtrek too. Lots o fun

Jim
Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
vantramp

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I will do that Jim, maybe even with pictures Of course I still haven't taken any of the i2 lower cargo frames I put on a while back(they look great on the i167). I don't seem to be very quick with my camera these days but I will try and get after it.

Very cool about the RT, they are such great rigs made even better with a Segway hanging on the back!

-Mike

Tags
enhanced traction, irc, tire