SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Segleulux
Segleulux is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Wheel Spinner for Advertisement & Promotion

Hy,
We have to sell "Wheel Spinners" for all models of the Segway PT I2.
Spinners are made of PVC (2mm.), dia. 41cm. and a warehousing with bearing made of aluminium. They can be fixed to your I2 within a few seconds.
Price: 99,00€ + Shipping
More infos and orders under: segleulux@gmail.com

Segleulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
MowTin
MowTin is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I wonder if there is data from those who ran this test.

[/QUOTE]
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
I wonder if there is data from those who ran this test.

[/QUOTE]

I feel that data is useless. It appears the segway was being pushed on a trolley, so it was not acting like a segway. You could have used a plastic or metal weight and gotten the same reaction.

If the segway were under its own power, when the handlebar hit, it would change the power to the wheels. I don't personally think it would react quickly enough to instantly stop moving forward, but it would clearly change the follow through very much.

This is a dangerous kind of video in that it appears to me to be a lie, but people may not know it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member
Default Helpful Segway Tips

I've been thinking of doing a video of helpful tips for a while and this collection is the result. It's based on my six years of gliding including both seated and hands free knee steer usage.

There are other tips I'm sure. I felt these were important to new or beginner users.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

I feel that data is useless. It appears the segway was being pushed on a trolley, so it was not acting like a segway. You could have used a plastic or metal weight and gotten the same reaction.
I disagree, because I don't think there is such thing as useless data. You could substitute one heavy thing for another but that doesn't mean the result would be the same.
Quote:
If the segway were under its own power, when the handlebar hit, it would change the power to the wheels. I don't personally think it would react quickly enough to instantly stop moving forward, but it would clearly change the follow through very much.
I definitely agree with you on this point however. The segway is fast, but I don't think it is fast enough to do much about the impact, but it would certainly do something different after that. The segway updates the signals to the wheels every hundredth of a second. A segway going 12.5 mph is going ~5.6 centimeters in that period of time. That base is still going to hit with some force.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Bob,

I saw your video. Some of it I liked, some not so much.

I also took the trainer course offered by the factory. On the points where you differ from the factory's position as to what should or should not be done, do you feel your personal information is better than theirs?

On tip #6, where you tell others that they can control a segway from the ground, I have a question. I know that if I grab the handlebar of a bike as it slowly rides past, I can very much affect that bike, and the day the biker is having.

If you were to teach someone how to ride a bike, would you also tell people they can manipulate the bike from the ground, as much as the bike rider can? That seems a bit dangerous to me, bike or segway.

Your view on helmets is laudable, but I do not agree. You came on pretty strong there.

You also state that the helmet is the most important safety item, and again, I do not agree. Wrist, knee, elbow protectors may be more important in many falls. Knowing what you are doing trumps them all as a safety tip.

Each and every demo and training I have done includes a short ground school before anyone gets on the machine. I find that to be very important to their safety.

All in all, I appreciate your efforts and clip. I would add a disclaimer that it make more sense to get training from a qualified trainer and not depend on your clip alone. Even the manual that the segway comes with has important tips that are not in your clip, so if the clip is offered for safety, I would also include that.

GGGG,

Data that misinforms or misleads is of no use to determine a particular outcome, even if it can serve as a bad example. In context of trying to understand how a segway will interact with a pedestrian, hurling a dead weight on a trolley at them will offer nothing of value. Even if the dead weight looks like a segway.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

<
My disclaimer as such is that the TIPS are aimed at "new owners" and" beginner Segway users". I do not expect everyone to like the TIPS so much.

< I also took the trainer course offered by the factory. On the points where you differ from the factory's position as to
< what should or should not be done, do you feel your personal information is better than theirs?

Could you be more specific as to which points you feel I"m at odds with?

< On tip #6, where you tell others that
< they can control a segway from the ground,

I'd like to hear from others their interpretation of TIP #6
Additionally, the point is two-fold. We've all heard the comments and seen the expressions of pedestrians who fear having a Segway run into/over them. The flip side is making the Segway user aware that as more pedestrians learn and understand how a Segway works, there is potential risk anytime you are within grasping rreach of a (fill in the blank) pedestrian.

<< I have a question. I know that if I grab
the handlebar of a bike as it slowly rides past, I can very much affect that bike, and the day the biker is having.

That's one of the major points regarding control of the Segway while within the reach of a pedestrian. Like yourself, there will be some who disagree with my interpretation.

<< If you were to teach someone how to
ride a bike, would you also tell people
they can manipulate the bike from the
ground, as much as the bike rider can? That seems a bit dangerous to me, bike < or segway.

Not everyone will understand and some might even misinterpret the points in the video. That is a very simple little explanation of why there are thousands of "accidents" going on in life every day.

<< Your view on helmets is laudable, but I do not agree. You came on pretty strong there.

GOOD, and I hope it does some good for others.

<< You also state that the helmet is the
most important safety item, and again, I do not agree. Wrist, knee, elbow
protectors may be more important in
many falls. Knowing what you are doing trumps them all as a safety tip.

"Knowing what you are doing" is a paramount point and one I myself practised in my years as a tractor trailer driver. I learned also of the variables involved in life which affect the "Knowing what you are doing" Sounds like you're saying common sense trumps them all, and I agree. Oh but those little variables of life.

<< Each and every demo and training I
have done includes a short ground
school before anyone gets on the
machine. I find that to be very important to their safety.
I too have a short "ground school" where, as demonstrated in my video, I have them "push back and away " the Segway repeatedly. I feel the understanding (even if only in some small way), helps ease the anxiousness of the user and understand the potential danger that a pedestrian presents to their safety.

<< All in all, I appreciate your efforts and
clip. I would add a disclaimer that it
make more sense to get training from a qualified trainer and not depend on your clip alone. Even the manual that the
segway comes with has important tips that are not in your clip, so if the clip is offered for safety, I would also include < that.

That is why it is titled "helpful Segway tips" but, maybe I should have included:
"(some or a few) helpful Segway tips" but some will simply choose not to understand.

AGAIN I WILL SAY:
Not everyone will understand and some might even misinterpret the points in the video. That is a very simple little explanation of why there are tousands of "accidents" going on in life every day.

Thanks Karl.

Based on MY experiences, the video is what it is. I don't believe the "factory" will think my video is at odds with their suggestions or recommendations.
We shall see.

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

The only way that data could me misinforming is if you make assumptions about what it is supposed to show. If you look at what it actually is showing, there is nothing misinforming about it. What it shows is a Segway without power hitting someone at speed, and that is the take-away.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob yarbrough View Post
I've been thinking of doing a video of helpful tips for a while and this collection is the result. It's based on my six years of gliding including both seated and hands free knee steer usage.

There are other tips I'm sure. I felt these were important to new or beginner users.
Hi Bob

I liked your video. Some good thought has gone into those tips. I have tried to create instruction manual type material myself (I wrote an eBook on it!) and you will get people who like it, agree with some/all of it, or hate the idea that someone is telling them how to do their thing. Some people claim to follow the advice of the factory (because they know best) but then choose not to follow some advice because it doesn't suit them. It takes all sorts and it's all fine so long as we all take responsibility for our own actions. Complaining you had an accident because some guy on YouTube suggested something is not taking personal responsibility. But good on ya. And I really like your Pony.