SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:14 PM   #31
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
True.

You would have to send it back to a service center for repair. The cost and down time is still cheaper than another hoverboard fire, this time due to a shorted wire instead of overcharging.
A fuse (internal or external) would only "blow" in the event of an overload - that is, excessive current.

Battery pack fires are usually caused by either physical damage to one or more cells, or catastrophic failure of one cell - which initiates catastrophic failure in adjacent cells, etc. Neither of those events would be stopped by a fuse.

Catastrophic cell failure may occur during charging - but charging is relatively low current, so the fuse wouldn't stop that either.

Of course, I do agree that having to send it back to the service center is far preferable than having a fire.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:48 AM   #32
mathiegi
mathiegi is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I am afraid NineBot will stop make great, durable and safe Segway PTs in end of 2018...
After only cheap and unsafe NineBot stuff will stay on the market.

I will do service and repair Gen1/2 und SE until i die...
mathiegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #33
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

This is all sad news. I absolutely LOVE stepping on my i2. In the past, I have wondered if original Segways will become collectors' items. To me, the i2 is an essential part of daily life. I'm glad I didn't spring for an Elite. I love firing up my i2 and knowing it will be ready to take me wherever I want to go. The Ninebots sound scary!
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #34
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ions82 View Post
This is all sad news. I absolutely LOVE stepping on my i2. In the past, I have wondered if original Segways will become collectors' items. To me, the i2 is an essential part of daily life. I'm glad I didn't spring for an Elite. I love firing up my i2 and knowing it will be ready to take me wherever I want to go. The Ninebots sound scary!
I guess most don't know, or have completely forgotten, these started out as cheap Chinese knock offs.....Got some success, Segway sued them for copyright protection and patent infringement.

Then Ninbot bought them off, and out!

It's about money, that's all.....If they can sell an inferior product and make a great profit, they will............If keeping the legacy of Segway alive and well, they will need to make a profit off the "classic" Segway....

You all should be well aware of this practice, it happens every day.....Cheap junk always wins...
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #35
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ions82 View Post
Glad you like your i2. They look very comfortable.

Scary? Is it because people are comparing death and injury rates for Elites vs. x2's? I think people are trying to make Ninebots sound scary. As if Segway i2's, x2's, and such, haven't killed people and seriously injured others. Their high price has not made them safe as many have found out the hard way.

Advance tech in Ninebots can be frightening, for some. Modern electronics, new batteries, and brushless motors, mean Segway type devices no longer need cost $7,000 or weigh 100+lbs. It is no longer a boutique product bought by a small group of customers and the unlimited budget government.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #36
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
Advance tech in Ninebots can be frightening, for some. Modern electronics, new batteries, and brushless motors, mean Segway type devices no longer need cost $7,000 or weigh 100+lbs. It is no longer a boutique product bought by a small group of customers and the unlimited budget government.
The concerns are with the quality and safety tradeoffs made to reduce price and increase profit. For instance, as reported:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarlson79 View Post

...I took it to the carpark to test with 4 bars and then with ZERO warning I lost ALL power and fell backwards and opened up my elbow.

... Each battery ... their own BMS onboard. I found that the BMS had tripped on both battery packs which left the system with 0v to try and balance me.

...So moral of the story is that it IS INDEED possible for the system to cut ALL power with no vibrating, stick shake or beeps, just BOOM no power.

Honestly, after looking at the poor LG battery cells they use in the 450Wh packs and the poor SAMSUNG cells in the 670Wh packs, what a terrible decision. Each time they have gone for the cheap low AMP cells, where for an extra $0.30 per cell ($18) they could have put REALLY good LG or SAMSUNG cells like the Samsung 30Q.

But anyway, the fact they have separate BMS inside the battery box that can be triggered without being controlled by the motherboard is a bad design.
And consider units with only a single bettery.

These are quality/performance/safety/cost tradeoffs that the manufacturer made. Understanding them is helpful in evaluating purchase decisions.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #37
electrijim
First Timer
electrijim

5 yr Member

The two guys "Pob" and "pcarlson" in this thread each said he had a Ninebot Elite. That model wasn't sold in the USA. I have a Ninebot PTR Elite Plus (sold by Segway USA). Ninebot's website claims that the Plus is redundant:

"Dual-Redundancy Supports Rider Safety
The safe operation of the Ninebot E+ relies heavily on the unit's dual redundancy. The unit's key features include two sets of components – one for standard operation and the other that remains on standby. In the unlikely event that a malfunction or failure occurs with the original components, the other will take over immediately. At the very same time, the rider receives an update on the unit's status. These types of safety measures are costly to implement, but at Ninebot, safety is our top priority."

Also, More4Mini.com, who is a Washington DC Ninebot dealer, also mentions that pcarlson's Error 37 means the battery has no charge, and that it may not happen on the Elite Plus. I would like to post the link, but SegwayChat won't let me. You can Google this to find it: Ninebot Elite Error 37

Jim Nichol
electrijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #38
PeterThups
PeterThups is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Ninebot Elite problems

does anyone know the easiest way to get these frickin solenoid pins out?
PeterThups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #39
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrijim View Post

"Dual-Redundancy Supports Rider Safety
The safe operation of the Ninebot E+ relies heavily on the unit's dual redundancy. The unit's key features include two sets of components – one for standard operation and the other that remains on standby. In the unlikely event that a malfunction or failure occurs with the original components, the other will take over immediately. At the very same time, the rider receives an update on the unit's status. These types of safety measures are costly to implement, but at Ninebot, safety is our top priority."
That statement makes absolutely no sense, technically. Try thinking of some component for which it makes sense. Batteries? Motors? Wheels and tires? Steering sensors? Balance sensors?

You don't want things on "standby". And, even if discussing electronic controls, there would be the question of how the "standby" component would know that the original component had failed.

And you certainly would not want a second battery to be on "standby".

There may actually be dual components, but if so they don't operate that way.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #40
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Semantics, perhaps. "Standby" is acceptable, as long as the standby systems kick in quickly enough to keep you upright.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote