SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default miniLITE

So we go from the i2 to my son's miniLITE ...

Long story short - I'm trying to remove the kneebar from his miniLITE so I can install the Made4mini handlebar. I took the two screws on the front of the kneebar off, but it just. won't. budge! I've tried prying up on it, wiggling it, all to no avail. In fact, I scratched the paint on the bottom of the kneebar trying to get it off. (I'm OK with that as it won't go back on anytime soon.)

Any suggestions at all? Anyone with a miniLITE taken off the kneebar?
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
dmurphy

5 yr Member

UNCLE. I can’t get the danged bar off. I tried everything from vice grips to a crowbar to a rubber mallet to a stem puller. The good news is that I don’t ever worry about it separating!

So I just ordered another miniLITE. I’ll put the handlebar on the new one, and give this one to my nephew. He’ll love it. I scratched the paint on the bar but that’s just cosmetic - still completely sound.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Interesting that the bar comes already assembled on the Lite. A big box? The Mini Pro had to have its control bar attached/assembled by the owner when they opened the box.

That bar might be glued on. The Mini Pro version has had owners let the bar clamp get loose, then break the interlocking pin, so it would fall off the next time they pick it up by the control bar. The Mini would be damaged and they would want a new one. Making it non removable would solve many support center headaches.

You could try blow dryer heat to soften any glue and expand the control bar a bit.

BTW, there is a lady on youtube doing an unboxing of a Lite. She demonstrates it by riding it around her living room. But, you can see the tail lights are in front and she is unknowingly riding it backwards. I don't understand how she could stay upright on it with the steering reversed. Funny stuff.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Please post a link to that video.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
dmurphy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
Interesting that the bar comes already assembled on the Lite. A big box? The Mini Pro had to have its control bar attached/assembled by the owner when they opened the box.

That bar might be glued on. The Mini Pro version has had owners let the bar clamp get loose, then break the interlocking pin, so it would fall off the next time they pick it up by the control bar. The Mini would be damaged and they would want a new one. Making it non removable would solve many support center headaches.

You could try blow dryer heat to soften any glue and expand the control bar a bit.

BTW, there is a lady on youtube doing an unboxing of a Lite. She demonstrates it by riding it around her living room. But, you can see the tail lights are in front and she is unknowingly riding it backwards. I don't understand how she could stay upright on it with the steering reversed. Funny stuff.
Sadly, it wasn’t pre-assembled. I installed it out of box - just two simple screws. Really didn’t seem like a big deal when I put it on; two screws to install, two to remove. The screws come out easily enough - but the bar feels like it welded itself in place. When the new one comes, I’m going to check it to make sure there’s no barbs or anything inside the bracket that would cause it to catchnor be a one-way attachment. But I sure as heck am not going to put it on. :-)

Ah well - I’ll give this one to my nephew for his birthday; he’ll love every second of it. It’s not like the thing isn’t fully functional - just that my son wants the handlebar so it’s like a real Segway. (And given how many bones he’s managed to break in the last few years, I’d say that’s a good idea!)

Ps - yes if you have a link to the video I can use a laugh too! The LITE is surprisingly stable and works really, really well. I did turn on the reverse beeping (like a truck) so in case my son does get on it wrong, it’ll warn him. Surprisingly easy to do, actually.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Ah, that is why you were sure the another minilite would solve the problem. The girl in the video held up a tall box so I thought the control bar was pre-installed.

This is the girl unboxing a minilite and riding it backwards by mistake. And riding decently. 1700 views for that video? I put more quality into my videos and have far less views. But she does post alot?

Last edited by Pescador12; 01-14-2018 at 11:51 PM..
Old 01-14-2018, 11:44 PM   #7
Pescador12

5 yr Member

I can't see the link show up on the post so go to youtube and search for Segway MiniLITE by Kristina Plisko Vlogs. I put in the link but the website hides it, I guess?

Last edited by Pescador12; 01-15-2018 at 01:07 AM..
Old 01-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
slowstark
slowstark is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I've been looking at the same one
slowstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
Thomas Russell
Thomas Russell is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Solution?

Hi guys. I had this problem after I ordered the Minipro with the Go Kart Kit (via Indiegogo) and they changed the deal half way through and supplied the (very similar but not identical) Ninebot S and Go Kart Kit instead.

I could not remove the handle from the Ninebot S with the tool supplied as part of the Go Kart Kit - a sort of simple wrench that was designed to apply pressure, via a screw, to a two-pronged piece that inserted into the two screw holes in the front.

Nothing I could do would pull the bar out. I even hung it from a tree by the bar and hung my whole weight off it and it would not move.

Then I looked at the removal tools and realised they were designed to force the two-pronged thing into the screw holes. So I put it in the screw holes and hit it with a hammer. To my amazement, I saw it get deeper and deeper into the handle with each blow. This was in fact the handle separating from the body. It was then a simple matter to pull off manually.

So, long story short, put the two-pronged thing that comes with the Go Kart Kit (looks like this from the side: ⊨) into the screw holes, carefully drive it in with a hammer, and the handle should just wriggle off.
Thomas Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:49 AM   #10
MojoGrip
MojoGrip is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Since I stumbled upon this post I figured I'd chime in with my success. The kneebar joint may be stuck due to metal on metal oxidation. Regardless I was able to get it off by wrapping the bar with a towel and then beating on it with a standard household (heavy) hammer as close to the junction where it inserts as possible. It took a few good whacks but it popped out after the 4th or 5th try.
MojoGrip is offline   Reply With Quote