SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Google Chrome

Anyone else running Chrome for a browser? (I know, I know, the EULA sucks pond water, but other than that.....)

Pam
Old 09-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

As someone who builds websites, I s'pose I'm gonna have to install it just to see how websites are rendered. I hate it when a site looks different in Firefox than it does in IE. I already use those and Opera to check my code, so I guess I'll have to use Chrome too. A lot of people will use it just to be different, even though it uses far too many system resources.

Jim
Old 09-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I will say this, if you right click on the top bar, you can get a drop down box to check the task manager. And in the bottom of that box, there's a stats for nerds link that gives you a lot of information about exactly how those resources are being used. <G> They don't mean a lot to me, but I'm sure they'll mean something to someone.

Pam
Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
As someone who builds websites, I s'pose I'm gonna have to install it just to see how websites are rendered. I hate it when a site looks different in Firefox than it does in IE. I already use those and Opera to check my code, so I guess I'll have to use Chrome too. A lot of people will use it just to be different, even though it uses far too many system resources.

Jim
I hear you here, doesn't it just stink when you build a web site and then you test it in ie and it looks great, but in firefox everythings all jumbled around?? I've had this problem several times, always found a solution sooner or later! Never used chrome, but then again, I never use google either. I use Blackle, it has a black screen, which saves electricity and promotes it's green-ness. That only works if you use a CRT monitor, but my work computer has quad screen 19" LCD's but at home, I'm still on the CRT! Check it out, it gives the same results as google!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
pam
Last of the Early 30

I think Chrome was only released on Tuesday, so it's still a little early yet. I actually like it. Given the EULA, I'd be hmmm, cautious about putting my distance learning classes on it (through it, whatever) - I'll still use firefox and IE for them. They're obviously collecting information, but what browser doesn't?

Here's a link to a discussion about the legal issues of the EULA that a friend sent me. Something tells me that this is a case of the lawyers trying to cover all the angles (like we see with Inc), rather than the techs trying to get in our pockets. (Maybe I'm naive <G>).

Pam

Last edited by pam; 09-03-2008 at 07:58 PM..
Old 09-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

While Chrome has a higher demand for system resources upfront, its architecture makes it much more efficient than firefox or ie. It is much smarter about resources than the other guys. Also, it uses webkit for rendering, so it should look very similar to Safari, other than the fonts used.

My favorite feature: Pulling off one of the tabs and making it its own window. Yes, I am aware that safari does this too.

The most important feature: Blazingly fast javascript performance makes using JS-heavy webpages much, much snappier.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
I think Chrome was only released on Tuesday, so it's still a little early yet. I actually like it. Given the EULA, I'd be hmmm, cautious about putting my distance learning classes on it (through it, whatever) - I'll still use firefox and IE for them. They're obviously collecting information, but what browser doesn't?

Here's a link to a discussion about the legal issues of the EULA that a friend sent me. Something tells me that this is a case of the lawyers trying to cover all the angles (like we see with Inc), rather than the techs trying to get in our pockets. (Maybe I'm naive <G>).

Pam
The update at that link indicates that the problem with the EULA has been fixed -- by removing the offending language entirely and replacing it with a simple sentence stating that you own your own content.

As for system resources -- when my system gets slow, the first place I look is for the usual culprit -- Firefox. Firefox 3.0 is a bit better, but it STILL hogs memory and CPU. I'm usually more concerned with the CPU -- and better Javascript performance will help a lot.

As for IE / Firefox compatibility -- it's usually IE that's at fault, since Microsoft has ignored standards when it suited them. Hopefully they've learned their lesson, but it'll take many years before we stop having to worry about IE7 compatibility. Probably somewhat less time for Firefox 2.0 compatibility.

Anyway, I find it more productive to create and test in the most standards-compliant browser you have available, and then test in non-compliant ones, and apply workarounds for the non-compliance, rather than develop in IE, and try to make it work in a standard way while not breaking IE. The workarounds for IE are well known and well-documented. Less so the anti-workarounds!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
As for IE / Firefox compatibility -- it's usually IE that's at fault, since Microsoft has ignored standards when it suited them. Hopefully they've learned their lesson, but it'll take many years before we stop having to worry about IE7 compatibility. Probably somewhat less time for Firefox 2.0 compatibility.
Oh, joy! Something to look forward to...

"Consuming twice as much RAM as Firefox and saturating the CPU with nearly six times as many execution threads, Microsoft's latest beta release of Internet Explorer 8 is in fact more demanding on your PC than Windows XP itself, research firm Devil Mountain Software found in performance tests. According to the firm, which operates a community-based testing network, IE8 Beta 2 consumed 380MB of RAM and spawned 171 concurrent threads during a multi-tab browsing test of popular Web destinations. InfoWorld's Randall Kennedy speculates that Microsoft may be designing IE8 for the multicore future. But until your machine sports four or eight discrete processing cores, IE8 will remain 'porcine,' Devil Mountain's Craig Barth says."
Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Flags View Post
Oh, joy! Something to look forward to...

"Consuming twice as much RAM as Firefox and saturating the CPU with nearly six times as many execution threads, Microsoft's latest beta release of Internet Explorer 8 is in fact more demanding on your PC than Windows XP itself, research firm Devil Mountain Software found in performance tests. According to the firm, which operates a community-based testing network, IE8 Beta 2 consumed 380MB of RAM and spawned 171 concurrent threads during a multi-tab browsing test of popular Web destinations. InfoWorld's Randall Kennedy speculates that Microsoft may be designing IE8 for the multicore future. But until your machine sports four or eight discrete processing cores, IE8 will remain 'porcine,' Devil Mountain's Craig Barth says."
Well, OK, maybe they've learned their lesson on standards...
Old 09-05-2008, 05:09 AM   #10
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I'd reserve judgement on IE8 until it is released. Microsoft are nolonger resting on their laurels when it comes to browsers and I would hope any poor performance issues will be resolved - it knows its competition.

But, I find myself wondering, apart from competition driving the competing products forward (a benefit to the end user), what is in it for Google, to create yet another new browser? Why bother? It'll be free, no ads in it (I'm guessing, I don't use Chrome). Perhaps just to drive traffic to their site to download it? I don't understand browser wars. Is it the case they believe "he who controls the largest web browser marketshare controls the web"??