SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #21
BrettCMSmith@gmail.com
BrettCMSmith@gmail.com is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Exclamation

Hi Karl, Thats pretty much what I had in mind . To have a dropped axle just like your cart as well as raised ends to eliminate bottoming out. Based on whats been offered as a design do you think it could work Karl??

Thanks, Brett.
Edit: Thanks for going out in the rain too !

Last edited by BrettCMSmith@gmail.com; 11-07-2007 at 12:38 AM..
Old 11-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #22
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Honestly, I cannot imagine it working at all.

If you were planning to tow it from a segway, then you would be adding a level of stability. The kids could still stand on it, and it could act like a trailer and a kiddy segway, but the trailer tongue would add the stability you want.

If you plan to use it like a razor scooter, or a scate board, or the like, I do not think it would work at all.

I suppose it might be possible to stand on it for a short glide, or coast down hill, but it would be difficult to stop (Other than stepping back and allowing the trailling edge to bottom out.) and harder yet to do it while on it.

Good luck, and I hope I am wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:01 AM   #23
BrettCMSmith@gmail.com

5 yr Member
Exclamation Honesty is the best policy unless the M.I.L. asks you a question.

Hi Karl,
Thanks for your honest opinion.
Many people just trash a new idea with little regard for the person behind the post but you didnt and I thank you for hearing me out.
I will take onboard the advice and thoughts you and the other guys have offered and I will do my best to make it happen.
Thanks to everyone for their input, I'll get back to you with a progress report as it happens !!

Best wishes and safe gliding guys....
Brett.

P.S. Dont forget anyone can email me if you have something to add or a question about the project.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 AM   #24
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

One thing I've learned over the years is never to underestimate an Ozzie.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #25
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Hey Brett Welcome to SegwayChat.

Maybe this is more of what you are thinking of
http://www.google.com/patents?id=LTp...A18&dq=1585258

Its been a favorite of mine for awhile and I too want to build something similar. I don't know if any exist or were made but it looks like fun. I have a bit of a different twist to how I would design it, tho.

I suppose you could add a second wheel with this set up with a skinny platform in the middle to push it along. I have several different versions in mind yet.

Karl and I, and several others have had many discussions on this subject. I found a McDonalds toy the other day that had a McKid? in a tub like two wheeled tandum device, that works on the same principle as Karls dragon/Godzilla does. It is also weighted but does sway back and forth as it stops, tho.

Last edited by GadgetmanKen; 11-07-2007 at 11:25 PM..
Old 11-08-2007, 12:25 AM   #26
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetmanKen View Post
Hey Brett Welcome to SegwayChat.

Maybe this is more of what you are thinking of
http://www.google.com/patents?id=LTp...A18&dq=1585258

Its been a favorite of mine for awhile and I too want to build something similar. I don't know if any exist or were made but it looks like fun. I have a bit of a different twist to how I would design it, tho.

I suppose you could add a second wheel with this set up with a skinny platform in the middle to push it along. I have several different versions in mind yet.

Karl and I, and several others have had many discussions on this subject. I found a McDonalds toy the other day that had a McKid? in a tub like two wheeled tandum device, that works on the same principle as Karls dragon/Godzilla does. It is also weighted but does sway back and forth as it stops, tho.

I looked at your link, and have to guess that if there was a potential for that device, it may have been built since the 1923 date on that design.

I say again, there have been several designs that have worked and actually been built, but most require motors, engines, counter balance weights, and much more just to make them potentially useable. A simple machine of this sort, while an interesting idea, has a basic problem with physics to work. If you could suspend the basic rules of balance, then it is a great thing...

Look at that one wheeled thingie from england. It found itself with the need for a small caster added to the end of the platform to remove the rotation and oscillation that I mentioned originally. Segway uses high tech AI smart logic, and full time positive drive. THe Q uses 2 hidden casters under the back of the platform. No one has overcome the ability to balance without a great deal of technology or a cheater caster or two...

THe only thing that comes to mind that may work, is an actual pendulum platform that the kid stands on, and has the front upright bar and handlebar attached... This must be suspended below the axle height, but also above the rigid "floor" of the device. If the floor is weighted beyond the weight of the kid rider, so that his weight shifts do not affect the stability of the device.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 11-08-2007 at 12:48 AM..
Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 AM   #27
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default Neat patent....

There was a picture on segwaychat about a year ago of something similar. I think it was called 'the faceplant machine'. It was just the front fork and handlebar assembly of a bmx bike, and it had a small platform attached to either side of the wheel about 3 inches about ground level. I tried looking for it but I couldn't find it.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:12 AM   #28
BrettCMSmith@gmail.com

5 yr Member
Lightbulb We all agree its not as easy as it seems.

Thanks for the sweeping compliment of myself and my countrymen Polo, Great setup in your avatar too.

GadgetmanKen thank you for the welcome, its been good here, and Im grateful for the sensible posts from all the crew.
Your link to the patent had me worried for a moment till I saw that it has only one wheel similar to the Magic Wheel, and it seems that for a non-motorised 'Segwee' the system of having the rider stand on a platform(s) that are lower than the axle is an absolute must-have for stability.
..."with a skinny platform in the middle to push it along".... is exactly what I had in mind too ! I listed that as an option earlier in the thread and it keeps popping up in my drawings as the most realistic position of the platform/footrest. Something quite similar to the Razors footrest dims of 11" X 4".....
The hardest part of positioning the footrest/platform in that position, size and orientation is that it restricts how it can be attached to the rest of the vehicle. But thinking thru a problem can develop into a unique design.
If you and Karl have been throwing this idea around for a while I'd guess you know a lot more than you are letting on....?

Karl, your last paragraph is on the money for me and I agree that it is hard to avoid a third wheel or caster like the Magic Wheel, it a delicate 'balancing act' between the forces of acceleration and stability.

cmonkey,"The Faceplant Machine" ! ,lol, its a great line, I've googled it and cant find anything but I'll search the archives.
Thanks guys, I'm trying to get a solid design worked out on paper so I can start welding. But I have built 2 frames to test the principles of balance and I think its possible or close enough.
Best wishes to you guys, Brett.

Edit: Hi GadgetmanKen, I checked out your site, you've got the resources to make your own version of something new ! How about making a pram that functions like a Segway so its easy to push the offspring around town??
You've got some really interesting ideas and pictures of different Segways on your website. Brilliant !

Last edited by BrettCMSmith@gmail.com; 11-08-2007 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Spelling. But not Tori !:P
Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 AM   #29
ian purvis
ian purvis is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettCMSmith@gmail.com View Post
Anyone else from Australia out there? Someone else must love Segways in Australia?
G'day Brett

I live in Newcastle but spend 19 of every 28 days in NZ working. My i180 has travelled back and forth across the ditch with me twice a month for over 2 years.

Our antiquated laws seem to follow those in the UK, drawn up in the days of horse and carriage.

all the best with your project

XXX XXXXXX (I don't want the authorities to know who I am)
Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #30
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Hi GadgetmanKen, I checked out your site, you've got the resources to make your own version of something new ! How about making a pram that functions like a Segway so its easy to push the offspring around town??
You've got some really interesting ideas and pictures of different Segways on your website. Brilliant !
If you only knew! Those pics of the different Segways are not mine, but of fellow SegChatters here on SC. Some of the renditions are mine except the police ticket and the treadmill, one. The pop up sign is mine, which will become a real product before long now that I've gotten some more sources, and resorces. Did you happen to see a link to my gas powered, chainsaw/belt driven, three speed, inverted push scooter? I don't know if its still on there or not. But I could give you a link if needed. I am an idea man with little resources. I do have a small work shop but would love a CNC, 3D modeler and such but they are way out of my league financially.

If you could only see some of the stuff I'm working on. I got a cool different Segway frame set up model that I would love to show and get suggestions on, but by then, some engineers about, would probably have the answers to my design dilemas and run with it or something. I know, paranoia... but it happens and has happened to me before, but I don't think it made anyone rich. Time and money are my biggest foes. Go figure.

Oh. and if you read the patent description of how its supposed to work it says that it has a ratcheting mechanism where you push the handlebars forward and pull towards you and it propels you forward. Quite interesting to, for at least that time period. I think the problems with that design are that it looked like it may have been difficult to turn and stopping.

Last edited by GadgetmanKen; 11-13-2007 at 10:10 PM..