SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #51
MichaelEL
MichaelEL is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

"Does it handle side-slopes the same way as a segway (where you keep the stick in-line with gravity in order to hold still)?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Yes, the miniPRO has the same Roll Compensation feature as the Segway Gen 2 and SE models. I've been riding the miniPRO for about 10 weeks now, and I think it is a very, very good little machine.
New to forum, new to Segway. Have had a Segway MiniPro for a few weeks now, and very much enjoying it. As a total newbie to the ride, and at 76, and never having been on skateboards, surfboards, etc (balance sports), it is taking me some time to become comfortable. No hurry, no worry; having fun.

My biggest challenge, and I wonder how others handle it, is side slopes, even gentle ones like the curve for drainage on parking lots and streets. I've been trying to shift my uphill foot a couple of inches to the outer edge of the platform, bend my knees and apply more pressure to the uphill foot. On sideslopes, it seems risky to turn uphill, easier to turn downhill, but maybe that's not the way I want to go.

Flat surfaces are a breeze, like the middle of the street, but not the best place to ride. Until now, I never notices how much asphalt is sloped.

Interested in hearing how the rest of you handle this.
Michael
MichaelEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #52
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

IMO, Philip wasn't entirely correct. The miniPro has some amount of roll compensation, but it doesn't work like it does on a big boy segway, where if you keep the stick pointing straight up there is zero turning. On a minipro, there needs to be a large angle slope before it starts pointing downhill. If you use your knees to keep the bar in-line with gravity, you will actually start turning toward the incline instead of keeping straight ahead.

The fact that you can adjust the turning sensitivity tells me that there isn't a direct correlation between stick angle/gravity vector, forward speed, and turn-rate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #53
retrodog
retrodog is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEL View Post
"Does it handle side-slopes the same way as a segway (where you keep the stick in-line with gravity in order to hold still)?"

New to forum, new to Segway. Have had a Segway MiniPro for a few weeks now, and very much enjoying it. As a total newbie to the ride, and at 76, and never having been on skateboards, surfboards, etc (balance sports), it is taking me some time to become comfortable. No hurry, no worry; having fun.

My biggest challenge, and I wonder how others handle it, is side slopes, even gentle ones like the curve for drainage on parking lots and streets. I've been trying to shift my uphill foot a couple of inches to the outer edge of the platform, bend my knees and apply more pressure to the uphill foot. On sideslopes, it seems risky to turn uphill, easier to turn downhill, but maybe that's not the way I want to go.

Flat surfaces are a breeze, like the middle of the street, but not the best place to ride. Until now, I never notices how much asphalt is sloped.

Interested in hearing how the rest of you handle this.
Michael
I have the same concern. I've driven a Goped ESR750 hoverboard for years and always compensate for the side slopes. So I have been a little aprehensive about this lateral style of carrier. Most of the sidewalks in my neighborhood are sloped to the side at least a little. It's going to be a drag if I have to keep one knee against that steering column.

Well, in any case, I ordered one on Amazon today. Should have it for the upcoming weekend. I guess I'll be riding it all over the place before long.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #54
gregn
gregn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

On the subject of side hills. I use my Mini Pro on a farm with has all kinds of varied terrain. I find it does allow you to stand upright even if the base is on an angle. It is sensitive though when this happens and a small bump can make you turn. It also take a fairly noticeable incline to trigger the compensation. If you hit and angle fast you might not react in time and experience an unexpected turn. If I am going slow it works great. At speed is easy to lose balance and over react.
gregn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #55
mojskel
First Timer
mojskel is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default ninebots for use for disable person

Has anyone used the ninebot with a handlebar for mobility reasons? I have been using the first edition Segway from the day it was launched over 10 years ago, I think a light and smaller version like the ninebot would be better for me for traveling. I walk with one crutch. Any suggestions or thoughts on this?? Has anyone used it for mobility and find it safe??

Thank you
Mojskel
mojskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #56
dpbrew1
dpbrew1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Handlebar

I found using the knee control to be very fatiguing. I installed a handlebar and this is more comfortable and relaxing. I have fallen 3X: 2x going slow over a larger curb and a speed bump. Perhaps with speed I might not have fallen. I also was pushing the MP hard up a hill. It was protesting like mad till it shut off on me and I went down hard on my knees. I am a safer rider now.
6'4" 210 68 y.o.
dpbrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #57
SonomaRik
SonomaRik is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Latest Firmware updates

not having a great deal of luck for a thread just on Mini Pro firmware. Should I start a new section, with specific firmware as the topic headers?

Want to know the pro[sic]/cons of any firmware updates.

New to forum, we use ours a lot when away each weekend, and have turned our resort persons onto them over the last couple years. NOW they are everywhere.

PS: Would dearly love the follow-me update on current Mini Pros as I could use a mule at our resort to bring ice when I go to the local camp store: my hands and amount of ice preclude just me doing it...a 'mule-pro' would be nice to attach bags to.

rik - Sonoma CA
SonomaRik is offline   Reply With Quote