SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
Bvzijverden
Bvzijverden is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question New Ninebot ES1 with extremely low range and strange noise from motor.

Hello community,

First and foremost let me introduce myself since I'm new here.
My name is Bob, born and raised in Holland but living in Spain. I'm a professional basketball player for my profession but always had a huge interest in electronics and opening everything I lay my hands on.

Because of my work and the travelling it brings with it I can't really own any big items, such as a moppet, car or any other form of transport other than a bicycle and now for the first time an electric scooter.
The reasoning behind picking a ninebot and not for example the hugely famous Xiaomi Mija was the option of hooking up an extra battery since this was going to be my main form of transportation.
However since receiving my Ninebot last week and only being able to try it yesterday, I have been noticing some very strange things that I would like to hear your guys' take on.

1) Very low millage. I have 2 main example for this claim; I have purchased the additional battery and updated the firmware on it correctly.
With the help of google maps I calculated the exact data of the journey today.
After riding 7.7km with no uphill the percentages dropped from 100% build in batt and 80% add batt to 61% build in batt and 63% add batt.
That is an overall decrease of 39% build in batt and 17% add batt.
I am fully aware that the advertised milage is rarely met but if this drop continues I would have a total millage of around 20km, a little too far away from a potential 40km.

I thought perhaps the add batt is faulty and it takes down the build in batt with it.
So I took off the add batt and rode to the bakery and back, a total roundtrip of around 1.1km, yet again the build in batt dropped down a bit too much for my liking; 100% to 90%.
This would mean that on the build in batt the autonomy is around 10km (goes hand in hand with the potential 20km with the add batt attached).

2) Strange sound coming from the hub motor. Now I'm very familiar with 18650 cells, BMS's and the whole lot that comes with battery packs. Yet I'm far less familiar with DC motors and even less so with hub motors.
So I can't really do anything else but look on Youtube to see if I hear any similarities but so far without prevail. So I turn to the good ol' forum
I posted a 10sec video on Youtube for you guy's to have a listen.

LINK: edit I can't post links nor images due to being a newbie haha on Youtube the title is Ninebot ES1 hub motor strange noise

Again, apart from knowing how they work, I don't know much about the behavior of hub motors and the sounds that come with them.

I have contacted Gearbest (where I made the purchase) about this whole thing yet since the scooter was delivered over 7 days ago i would have to pay for any potential return (not feeling that since it will probably be have to send back to China).
What is your guys' take on all this, simply a matter of keep using the scooter to break in the batteries or is there more to it?

Any thoughts or advice will be much appreciated since I'm a bit clueless about what to do.

Kind regards from sunny Spain!
Bvzijverden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
iMak
iMak is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi mate, welcome on board, a newbie here too. Sorry to hear your problem. But may I ask why your purchased the ES1 and not the ES2?
iMak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, motor, ninebot, problem, scooter