SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:32 AM   #1
Novato
Novato

5 yr Member
Default How do you Segway?

I am considering buying a Model 'P' for my wife who has MS. Currently she walks around the house but will use a wheelchair when we go places with much walking. We had the wonderful opportunity to try an 'I' model and I was amazed at how quickly she was able to use it. (Thank you Fred and Jerry)

I am trying to envision how she will use the segway in day-to-day life. Does it work well around the house, in yard, for shopping, etc. Can anyone share how you use your segway in typical day.

Thanks

Roger!
Novato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:42 AM   #2
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Roger,

It's very feasable to use a p-series HT around the house, in the yard, for shopping, etc. I use mine just about everywhere I go. Friends often joke that I never go anywhere without her

That said, I would seriously look at the i-series vs. the p-series for your wife. If she feels completely comfortable on the p-series and will be using it in the house, etc., the p-series should be perfect. But the i-series does add a bit of stability and industrial-ness that you don't get with the p.

As an example, I was playing with a friend the other day, riding his i-series around. When I stepped on my p-series, it almost freaked me out: it felt like I just stepped on nothingness; psychologically, I couldn't believe for a moment that it would hold me up Of course, I was wrong. The p-series is really an amazing machine. Of course, the whole p-i-e family is pretty amazing.

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:16 AM   #3
Novato
Novato

5 yr Member

Chris,

Oh no, you have thrown a curve to my thinking. After reading up I was quite convinced that the P was a better option for my wife. 1. it is smaller and easer to move around the house. 2. It is less of a step up.

I agree that that "I" would be better for outdoor use, but all and all I think she will use it indoors and on paved surfaces. I have not tried a "P" yet. I will see if I can find a place to demo it in the CA Bay Area. I am still leaning toward a P but I'll rethink the "I". Thanks for the input.

Roger
Novato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 03:29 PM   #4
fredkap
fredkap will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Roger,

Welcome to SegwayChat! It was great meeting you and your family in Santa Monica. Your wife is petite and the P will be fine for almost all functions except the I will work better on sand, hiking trails with roots and snow. The P model will be easier to transport. I have riden both machines and I think the slight loss in the P model's performance is far outweighed by its easier ability to transport it. As an example, it is far easier to put a P in a taxicab than an I. There are several members of this forum that own both and several of those have elected to sell their I and just have a P. I have no doubt that owning a Segway will enhance your wife's mobility and you will have no regrets.

Finally, contact Poohbear from this forum, who also has MS and has had a P for about a month.

Best regards,

Fred
fredkap is offline   Reply With Quote