SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 12-09-2002, 09:58 AM   #21
Blinky
Blinky

5 yr Member

I think with a broken Segway, unless you have the skills to fix it, will find your self mailing the darn thing back to Segway LLC to get it fixed. This is in the event one of them breaks beyond simple repair.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 08:24 PM   #22
BBBix
BBBix

5 yr Member

I bet that there would be a lot of money in renting Segs in airports. If you could some how get a contract with the airport, you could rent them to passengers within the secure aera (like the do with those Smart Carts). I bet late travelers would rent one to get to their gate faster. It would also probably work well at large airports (like Denver or Atlanta or Dallas) where the distance from gate to gate is large.

Whaddya think? Would it work?

Bill B.
BBBix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 08:36 PM   #23
drucilla
drucilla

5 yr Member

what about rentals by the larger hotels in cities..tourists and guests would welcome a chance to get out and have a look around. Let's say a couple has gone to a convention and only one attends. The partner could go out into the city and be a little less grumpy when they reunite, making for a pleasant evening...

mind if my segway and i pass?
drucilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 08:44 PM   #24
BBBix
BBBix

5 yr Member

That too is a great idea. We need to find a way to monopolize the segway rental buisness!

Bill B.
BBBix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:45 PM   #25
emanresu
emanresu

5 yr Member

It's going to be everywhere, of course. And the operators of these businesses will be, for the most part, the same people who operate similar businesses already. From the large rental places to the National Park concessionaires, these people already understand the markets that are unique to them. They understand pricing (simple, based on capital outlay, with demand and overhead factored in), they have access to insurance already. The Segway will just be a rational fit for them, and frankly, anyone who thinks they can re-invent the wheel just because Segway did, is sadly mistaken. If you want to get into the rental business, the mere existence of Segways should probably not be your motivation.
emanresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 05:19 PM   #26
zeppo123
zeppo123

5 yr Member

Hey guys I am bouncing around some ideas with renting here at the beach and offering corporate rentals for events. I would love to hear from any members considering a rental business to share thoughts and help amongst ourselves.
zeppo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 05:28 PM   #27
Karamozov
Karamozov

5 yr Member

Zeppo:

There is some basic information on renting Segways at the below site.

www.segcenter.com

I recall having contact with a gentlemen who was considering a business that would provide technical and administrative support for Segway rental businesses. I thought his website was www.segwayrentalcompany.com, but I see that the domain is for sale.

"Any town that doesn't have sidewalks doesn't love its children."
- Margaret Mead
Karamozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 05:37 PM   #28
fredkap
fredkap will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

This rental deal reminds me of a family friend who had a business of trampolines by minature golf courses. Great business until the first person got hurt. Same problem occurs with renting $20,000+ sail boats, the liability far exceeds the ability to charge and insure. You can't absolve liability with any type of contract. If LLC requires 2 hours of training, then you had better do exactly the same before you let anyone glide off. I give lots of demos but I also know that I could get sued for doing so.

Happy gliding!

Fred
fredkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 05:52 PM   #29
Stutoonz
Stutoonz

5 yr Member

Don't forget the training!!! What are you going to do in an airport? Say "Here's a Segway, drop it off at your gate?". "and oh:by the way, you can't carry your hand luggage and ride at the same time".
I personally know of someone who was going to rent Segways but must wait for state legislature to OK the non-commercial usage.

SO IT GOES !!-Kurt Vonnegut, author ---IMAGINATION IS BETTER THAN KNOWLEDGE -Albert Einstein
Stutoonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 06:55 PM   #30
cstull
cstull

5 yr Member

If rental Segways take off too early, we'll end up with a bunch of people who have no investment in the product and who have little or no training. That translates into renters being hurt and a big black eye for Segway as the renters mow down people in crowded areas.

I'm sure we will see rental units. I hope I'm wrong about how they will be used. I guess I have seen too many rental cars abused (like that one in the hotel swimming pool... but that's another story!)

craig
cstull is offline   Reply With Quote