SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #11
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGlaude View Post
unfortunatly i am not over 16 i am only 12 but i am the only one in my school who even likes segways so i really couldnt find any one else to learn this info from

btw i posted my location in my profile
Well well well, a young enthusiast!! Some have called me a young enthusiast but I am 19!!! Good to see someone your age taking an interest in the Segway!! There are many knowlegable people on this site so any questions you have should be answered! You also have a nice network of dealers here so any problems you encounter can often be fixed without taking your seg in!!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 04-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGlaude View Post
unfortunatly i am not over 16 i am only 12 . . . btw i posted my location in my profile
Admins, does the location not show while new member is on moderation?

CGlaude, you are a well spoken young man (I assume you are male). Are you and your parents aware that Segway recommends that riders be 16 years old and weigh at least 100 pounds?

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #13
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I think the location shows up once it's put in and saved. It's possible it didn't get saved...

Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
CGlaude
CGlaude is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
CGlaude, you are a well spoken young man (I assume you are male). Are you and your parents aware that Segway recommends that riders be 16 years old and weigh at least 100 pounds?
Yes we know and i am over 100 pounds i am 115 but i still dont get y u have to be over 16? i can see y that would be with some of my friends but its not really like driving a car its like the same basics of riding a bike isnt it? i mean u go places on it and its faster then walking
CGlaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The age suggestions is because the manufacture cannot guess the maturity of younger folks... Some could easily deal with gliding in public on a segway, and some much older folks only make a nuisance of themselves...

One problem with this is that once a bad reputation is made for such a new device like a segway, it can easily lead to local restrictions and other problems... The responsibility to be a good segway ambassador may be far greater than you had considered...

As far as it's function, I understand how you may compare it to a bike, but because many see the motor a major change, it may be more appropriate to compare it to a smaller vespa scooter, or perhaps a moped.

It is legal in many states to be on the sidewalk like a pedestrian, where bikes are usually not allowed. It is also legal on many streets and in bike lanes, so you need to deal with the responsibilities and dangers of being amongst cars on the road...

I do know some 12 year olds who can handle this level of responsibilities, but I also know some 15 year olds who cannot.

Many states regulate the age of moped drivers as well...

Good luck with this new adventure. Segways are expensive, but also a great deal of fun. I think you may find many more of your fellow students are more excited about them than you may know, but someone needs to break the ice...

If you do get one, I suggest spinning chrome hubcaps. Mine are very popular with the younger crowds, including my kids and nieces and nephews...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
LibertySegway
LibertySegway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player

Hi CGlaude

I agree the 16 year age recommendations doesn't make a whole lot of sense. My two sons ride all the time. Douglas (16) and Ben (11) and myself usually glide together although Douglas often glides solo. We all started gliding last year when the Segway tour guide in Oahu (at the fabulous Hilton Hawaiian Village) allowed both boys to glide at ages 10 & 15 even though their policy is 16 and older. We had a great time and even took a private tour the following day. Wound up buying 3 Segways from Norris at Segway of Sacramento a week after we got back.

Glide safely and courteously and you'll have lots of fun.
LibertySegway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
CGlaude
CGlaude is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

OMG I can't wait to get my segway!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SO EXCITED but i don't know when im getting it i really hope i get it soon!
CGlaude is offline   Reply With Quote