SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

sorry to derail your topic jeff- I've already PM'ed you about this, but you should really considering changing that username of yours before it gets indexed by malicious bots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:33 AM   #12
julesdarcy
julesdarcy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Laurenzano
Jeff give me a call any time. I just folded up a rental biz, like to know why?
805-550-2075
Tony Cenrtal Coast Segwave Rentals.
I'd like to know why too, seeing as your sharing.
julesdarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #13
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Yeah, we'd all like to know.
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:02 AM   #14
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default I've got free info for you

Looks like there's a couple of us going in the same direction. I'm looking into starting a rental business over here in the UK. Segway's are not legalised for street/pavement use so will need to do things kind of different to our cousins across the pond.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it, good, bad or indifferent.
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #15
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy
Looks like there's a couple of us going in the same direction. I'm looking into starting a rental business over here in the UK. Segway's are not legalised for street/pavement use so will need to do things kind of different to our cousins across the pond.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it, good, bad or indifferent.
I guess that means gliding on private property. I'm sure there's a market for that, especially where one can't drive a truck or car.

For whatever it's worth, here's some basic advice from someone who doesn't have a rental biz:

Even if you don't want to follow a strict budget, you really need to write a business plan so you know what your limits and priorities are.

Understanding your market(s) is neccessary if you want to succeed. You must become the customer.

Who or what is your competition? How can you differentiate your business from them?

People like value, no matter how expensive something is. A wealthy couple I know who likes to eat at very expensive restaurants frequent one in particular because they offer "extras" like free valet parking.

People will abuse rented objects. Tom mentioned something along this line earlier. Understanding that is key when you write your business plan.

If your renters don't go through the proper training, renting out to just ONE casual prospect in a hurry with a £20 note is irresponsible. If someone gets hurt, even on private property, and it gets in the press, it's a bad thing for all of us, especially the person who got hurt.

Good luck. Come on back and let us know how things go.

Tim
Old 09-29-2006, 05:18 AM   #16
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timezkware Tim
I guess that means gliding on private property. I'm sure there's a market for that, especially where one can't drive a truck or car.

For whatever it's worth, here's some basic advice from someone who doesn't have a rental biz:

Even if you don't want to follow a strict budget, you really need to write a business plan so you know what your limits and priorities are.

Understanding your market(s) is neccessary if you want to succeed. You must become the customer.

Who or what is your competition? How can you differentiate your business from them?

People like value, no matter how expensive something is. A wealthy couple I know who likes to eat at very expensive restaurants frequent one in particular because they offer "extras" like free valet parking.

People will abuse rented objects. Tom mentioned something along this line earlier. Understanding that is key when you write your business plan.

If your renters don't go through the proper training, renting out to just ONE casual prospect in a hurry with a £20 note is irresponsible. If someone gets hurt, even on private property, and it gets in the press, it's a bad thing for all of us, especially the person who got hurt.

Good luck. Come on back and let us know how things go.

Tim
Thanks for the input.

Gliding on private property is exactly it.

This incurs additional costs etc so the business plan (and sticking to it) is clearly important.

I have had a brief discussion with the UK imported who will allow me to come in on his public liability insurance (I will be classified as an official dealer, of which there are currently just a handfull). As Segways are not common here (to say the least) , a lot of insurance companies don't understand the issues.

I have researched the competion, and know where they are (currently only 2) and what their costs are. I am at least 100 miles from the nearest.

The abuse to machines is a big worry, I'm hoping that some of the rental guys might give me some examples. I plan to keep all rentals under supervision. I see that vast majority of rentals as 5 - 10 minute glides, probably like a go kart track scenario.

Training is key, as you say, so I need to look at this element of time against the rental. Not enough training could spoil the experiance as the renter will not get the full benefit.

I'm looking towards 1st Qtr 2007 as a start up, finances willing. Also, as I write, there are not any Gen 2 machines in the country. I want to start with these, as my research (via these pages) seems to indicate they are the way to go for 1st timers.

I sure will let you know when it all happens.

Thanks again for the input, it is much appreciated.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:08 AM   #17
Timezkware Tim

5 yr Member
Default One more thing...

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

Gliding on private property is exactly it.

This incurs additional costs etc so the business plan (and sticking to it) is clearly important.

I have had a brief discussion with the UK imported who will allow me to come in on his public liability insurance (I will be classified as an official dealer, of which there are currently just a handfull). As Segways are not common here (to say the least) , a lot of insurance companies don't understand the issues.

I have researched the competion, and know where they are (currently only 2) and what their costs are. I am at least 100 miles from the nearest.

The abuse to machines is a big worry, I'm hoping that some of the rental guys might give me some examples. I plan to keep all rentals under supervision. I see that vast majority of rentals as 5 - 10 minute glides, probably like a go kart track scenario.

Training is key, as you say, so I need to look at this element of time against the rental. Not enough training could spoil the experiance as the renter will not get the full benefit.

I'm looking towards 1st Qtr 2007 as a start up, finances willing. Also, as I write, there are not any Gen 2 machines in the country. I want to start with these, as my research (via these pages) seems to indicate they are the way to go for 1st timers.

I sure will let you know when it all happens.

Thanks again for the input, it is much appreciated.
When I suggested to study the "competition", I meant whatever other transport means people are using now, not just other Segways. My friend lives on several acres in the North Valley (hills and pastures) that he monitors by Cushman cart. A Segway could do the job faster and cheaper.

I'm no expert on training, but 20-30 minutes is not an unreasonable amount of time to train a renter. Perhaps Segway Inc has a standard. In any event, it would be prudent to have a regular training session for everyone to insure safety and avoid nasty litigation when something goes wrong.

Again, good luck, Nick.

Tim
Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #18
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
...I see that vast majority of rentals as 5 - 10 minute glides, probably like a go kart track scenario.
Nickyboy,

We have this same "rental" scenario running in two (2) locations here and it is quite popular. SOme advice:

1. Get some form of handlebar guard (I recommend the Segway produced versions.

2. Create a course layout that keeps rider contact to a minimum.THIS IS IMPERATIVE for both safety and to keep your units in good condition much longer.

3. Create a "start / stop" area in which every rider gets trained, starts the course and winds back to end it.

4. Helmets, helmets, helmets.

5. Pricing is very critical. Find the pain point and price just under it. You will likely also be able to sell units so we provide GPRS CC machines.

In more than 1.5 years of operation we have seen three (3) accidents. One was caused by a kid hotdogging it and the other two were Gen1 turn related issues (they turned the turn ring in the wrong directio).

This is a good business that has been fun but it is very hard work...

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:15 AM   #19
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg
Nickyboy,

We have this same "rental" scenario running in two (2) locations here and it is quite popular. SOme advice:

1. Get some form of (I recommend the Segway produced versions.

2. Create a course layout that keeps rider contact to a minimum.THIS IS IMPERATIVE for both safety and to keep your units in good condition much longer.

3. Create a "start / stop" area in which every rider gets trained, starts the course and winds back to end it.

4. Helmets, helmets, helmets.

5. Pricing is very critical. Find the pain point and price just under it. You will likely also be able to sell units so we provide GPRS CC machines.

In more than 1.5 years of operation we have seen three (3) accidents. One was caused by a kid hotdogging it and the other two were Gen1 turn related issues (they turned the turn ring in the wrong directio).

This is a good business that has been fun but it is very hard work...

Steven
Steven,

Thanks for the advice.

I certainly take on board the handlebar guard and "start / stop area", these are things I had not considered. I think the insurance implications will probably einforce the helmets issue.

I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to be of assistance.

Nickyboy
Old 09-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #20
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Liability exposure for an importer is far different that it is for a rental operation. In America I don't think you can just ride on someone else's liability insurance. You should pay careful attention to setting up your business and workmans compensation insurance.

Good luck....