SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-07-2023, 03:24 PM   #1
Pete1942
Pete1942 is on a distinguished road

Default Help, Error 042 after loosing power for three days

With the power loss, the PT was plugged in charging mode. Found one set at 5 volts and second set at 7 volts, re-conditioned and both came up nicely to 60 volts. Installed and got the above error.

Have more detail but need help on where to go from here.
Pete1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 11:43 PM   #2
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

If the packs were actually being kept fully charged by the PT up until the point when the power went off for 3 days, the packs would not have over-discharged down to 5v & 7v in such a short time as that. Therefore the built-in charger must have been "asleep" for some time, and the packs will have over-discharged over a period of several weeks or months. The exception could be if the packs are old, and were completely flat when you put the PT away last.

Are you certain that your built-in charger is working? Do you have a plug-in power meter/watt meter to test if the charger is working? It is possible that it has blown up, yet still can give solid green LEDs (but not actually be able to push any charge into the packs).

When you say the packs came up to 60v when reviving, did you then reattach the packs to the PT and give them a long recharge (12+ hours) before trying to start up the PT? The nominal (unloaded) voltage of recharged packs when measured with a voltmeter across the terminals is ~76v. Packs with some dead cells in them can come up to ~60v but won't get much higher.

If you try to start the PT up with packs measuring only 60v it will not start up. It will give an error, and E042 is probably the code you'd get. That said, E042 can arise from a faulty CU or faulty BSA.

If both packs are up around ~76v and you're getting E042 then try swapping the packs around (front-to-rear) and then try starting up the PT....is the error code the same or different (such as E04A). The the problem moved with the pack, then the pack is the problem (not the CU or BSA). If the problem is still E042 then you might have two bad packs, or a bad CU or BSA - its impossible to tell, you need to borrow a couple of good packs to rule out battery/batteries being the cause of your problem(s). But if the PT was working OK up until the power cut, the problem is most likely battery-related.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #3
Pete1942

Default Help, Error 042 after loosing power for three days update

thank you for your inputs
I have since reviewed my own trouble shooting and realized I was creating the error 042 because I read the PT would charge a single pack.
so for update,
I reconditioned to 60 volts both packs and after 4 to 5 hours of green they turn red. remove and measure and I find them at around 50vdc. this indicates to me that I have no charge supply voltage.
second symptom, I external charged each pack to near 70 volts, installed and powered up the pt. got both audio and visual indication that the ac power was plugged in when it clearly was not. shut down and got a smiley face.
these two symptoms are solid and repeatable.
My next step is to shotgun repair with replacing the two main controller boards as I think both symptoms come from them.
Any advice you might have would be most welcomed.
thanks Pete
Old 05-16-2023, 06:50 AM   #4
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Yes, I agree it is possible that your built-in charger has failed.

The most efficient way to get to the bottom of your situation is to beg, borrow, loan or steal a known-good pair of batteries, even just for 5 minutes.

Use a plug-in power meter to measure the watts in the mains power cord when you have sold green (or red) LED(s). This will tell you if one, both or neither of the channels of the built-in charger are working.

Once you confirm it is working you can determine if reviving and fully recharging one or both of your packs is possible, or not.

It is certainly possible your charger is not working (or not working properly). Remove it. smell it, and look for blown components.

I doubt the situation you are describing is being caused by the CU Boards.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:26 AM   #5
Pete1942

Thanks,
One thing I neglected to mention was the loss of power also caused the loss of heat in the workshop, thus both the Segway and the shop were well down to freezing when power was restored. That was well below the 50F the PT is specified for low temp charging.

while not finding anything obvious, we are now focused on the Power Board.
I am sure I have no charge, and the second symptom of signaling that the a/c supply is connected when it is not, logically points to the power management system.

I have been trying to find a replacement board, but seams the part number is in question. A search on 23371-00001 returns nothing, and the service manual points to 23483-00001 which also points to light pipe. Similar looking products have different part numbers.
If some one can help me sort this out, please help.
Old 05-21-2023, 03:09 PM   #6
Pete1942

ok, clarification, the part number is 23371-00001 as printed on the board.

I find no sign of damage, but pre condition board is ok and I am assuming post circuit boards are ok.

Now to find one, I have searched every way from Sunday and cannot find a replacement. Is their anyone out there willing to part with one or know of where I can find one?