SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Tarkus
Senior Member
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL/ Mantoloking NJ
Posts: 2,081
5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Exclamation Please File Your ADA Violation Complaints

It's important that anyone who has their civil rights violated under Title III file an ADA Complaint. I am not naive or believe that these complaints are followed up on an individual basis, but the violations have to be a matter of record and numbers can't hurt.

http://www.ada.gov/t3compfm.htm

This will be of great importance as the DOJ reviews the issue.
Please pass this info along anyone you know that uses a Segway as a mobility aid.

Be Big,
AMAC
__________________
***************************************
Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. We apologize for any errors .


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Lily Kerns
Member
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SW Missouri, near Springfield
Posts: 875
5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
It's important that anyone who has their civil rights violated under Title III file an ADA Complaint. I am not naive or believe that these complaints are followed up on an individual basis, but the violations have to be a matter of record and numbers can't hurt.

http://www.ada.gov/t3compfm.htm

This will be of great importance as the DOJ reviews the issue.
Please pass this info along anyone you know that uses a Segway as a mobility aid.

Be Big,
AMAC
A couple weeks ago I filed a Missouri Human Rights complaint and an ADA complaint against the Missouri Department of Conservation. They had no policy in place last Feb when I first raised the question and have only now formed a committe to study the matter. I think it will meet in a day or two...

Their latest solution was a plan to to set up a permit system for using a Segway as an EPAMD and it sounded like they did not want to include nature trails or anything except areas already meeting ADA accessible standards. And there are all too few of those considering the size of this state...especially if you are not a hunter or fisherman.

I have no compaint with the local officials but their hands have been tied...

I tried to get it worked out without going formal but my 180 day window for filing was rapidly disappearing....

I thought these did get considered or maybe they are not all considered significant enough to deal with at least in a newsworthy fashion.... guess I am naive. The Missouri Human Rights complaint warned that it would be several months before you hear anything--and please don't call us in the meantime!
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
segsurfer
Senior Member
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all
 
segsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 1,357
5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Talking I'm going to enjoy this...

The national gallery of art is first on my list. You hear that ladies and gentlement, that's the sound of thousands of pens, pencils, computers, and all manner of writing accoutrements in working in unison. I love that sound, sounds like victory.
-segsurfer
__________________
Life is not a Roadrunner cartoon, and you are not the Roadrunner!.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Tarkus
Senior Member
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL/ Mantoloking NJ
Posts: 2,081
5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default My Bad !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
A couple weeks ago I filed a Missouri Human Rights complaint and an ADA complaint against the Missouri Department of Conservation. They had no policy in place last Feb when I first raised the question and have only now formed a committe to study the matter. I think it will meet in a day or two...

Their latest solution was a plan to to set up a permit system for using a Segway as an EPAMD and it sounded like they did not want to include nature trails or anything except areas already meeting ADA accessible standards. And there are all too few of those considering the size of this state...especially if you are not a hunter or fisherman.

I have no compaint with the local officials but their hands have been tied...

I tried to get it worked out without going formal but my 180 day window for filing was rapidly disappearing....

I thought these did get considered or maybe they are not all considered significant enough to deal with at least in a newsworthy fashion.... guess I am naive. The Missouri Human Rights complaint warned that it would be several months before you hear anything--and please don't call us in the meantime!
Lily,

I should not have implied that the complaints go without consideration, poor choice of words on my part. The complaints get read but government moves at it's own pace...

It's still important that you filed your complaint. In the end numbers count.

Be Big,
AMAC
__________________
***************************************
Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. We apologize for any errors .


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Tarkus
Senior Member
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL/ Mantoloking NJ
Posts: 2,081
5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default

To ease the process of filling a complaint you can now do so on the new DRAFT website:

http://www.draft.org/DisabilityRights.aspx

Remember you do not have to be denied access at the door, denial over the phone, email etc. is the same as at the door.

Be Big,
AMAC
__________________
***************************************
Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. We apologize for any errors .


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
JM Wilber
Junior Member
JM Wilber is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: riverside ca.
Posts: 72
5 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
To ease the process of filling a complaint you can now do so on the new DRAFT website:

http://www.draft.org/DisabilityRights.aspx

Remember you do not have to be denied access at the door, denial over the phone, email etc. is the same as at the door.

Be Big,
AMAC
this is for vets olny right
JM Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: teh Ether
Posts: 559
5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Wilber View Post
this is for vets olny right
No, it's for anyone who uses a Segway for a mobility aide. The ADA is part of federal civil rights law for all American citizens.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
David Moran
New Member
David Moran is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CO
Posts: 1
5 yr Member
Default Hey Everyone

I'm David from the CO High Country. I'm disabled with a mobility disability.
I don't have my Seg yet but hope to get mine soon! And engage in your forums here about learning more and hope to help make the Segway considered a recognised mobility device for Seniors and the Disabled. It is working for Disabled Vets now and If we work at it..I think we can get them listed!

You'll see me chime in from time to time...glad to be a part of this...cant wait to Glide the Rockies!

Dave
David Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Greg_Immethun
New Member
Greg_Immethun is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Posts: 2
5 yr Member
Default You will love it if you get one

You will love it if you get one. I bought my i2 about 3 years ago and use it everyday now. I walk, but very badly due to a spinal cord injury. It totally altered my way of thinking when it comes to trips to the store, parking, etc, etc. Still there are some barriers, but if you are extra courteous people will let you use them just about anywhere. I figure they are kind of startling the first time people see them, but if you give a good impression they will like you and have no reason to complain. Greg
Greg_Immethun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:50 AM   #10
thomas4
New Member
thomas4 is on a distinguished road
 
thomas4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: india
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Immethun View Post
You will love it if you get one. I bought my i2 about 3 years ago and use it everyday now. I walk, but very badly due to a spinal cord injury. It totally altered my way of thinking when it comes to trips to the store, parking, etc, etc. Still there are some barriers, but if you are extra courteous people will let you use them just about anywhere. I figure they are kind of startling the first time people see them, but if you give a good impression they will like you and have no reason to complain. Greg
"I've been enjoying using my Segway, model i2, for about 3 years now." Walking has been impacted by a spinal injury that has affected my walking, and it has changed everything. Everyday tasks such as shopping and parking are easier. Some barriers persist, but showing courtesy goes a long way. People may be initially intrigued, but a good impression matters greatly.- Greg Congratulations to Greg.
thomas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 PM.
Copyright 2002-2023 SegwayChat.org.
All rights reserved. Not affiliated with Segway Inc.

FreshBlue vBulletin skin by
VayaDesign
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SegwayChat Archive