SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmailhos View Post
I didn't read all the stuff from the link in the original post but glanced through it and didn't see any pricing information... Where did you find that?
It mentions the price on the spec sheet ~$3500.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
AggiePhil
AggiePhil is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetmanKen View Post
Oh according to another video link at the last one, it's to be sold for under $4 grand and they are going after the police response market.
Judging from the YouTube videos I saw, I'll take the Segway over that thing any day. Interesting though.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

The latest podcast from Ryno starts to discuss Segways and, despite me liking the Ryno, they unfairly comment on the Segway - almost as if to belittle it. It was unnecessary to do that and at some points, some of the comments are factually incorrect.

I still like the concept but my faith in its developer has been shaken a little.

The address is: http://rynomotors.files.wordpress.co..._134804391.mp3

Listen to it all or skip 10 mins in for the Segway bits.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
The latest podcast from Ryno starts to discuss Segways and, despite me liking the Ryno, they unfairly comment on the Segway - almost as if to belittle it. It was unnecessary to do that and at some points, some of the comments are factually incorrect.

I still like the concept but my faith in its developer has been shaken a little.

The address is: http://rynomotors.files.wordpress.co..._134804391.mp3

Listen to it all or skip 10 mins in for the Segway bits.
The wholr concept of the Yike bike scares me. I would like to try this one...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

This one scares me far more than yike, but neither excites me. I am curious however.

On this one, although he does not know how to ride a segway, he misses a very important point. He says you pull back on the handlebar to stop a segway. I believe he also mentions that you have to lean back.

At that point, the conversation goes on to a hand break lever, and eventually a disk brake.

At most any speed, if you apply a binder break like this to the one and only wheel, your momentum on the top of that wheel will require that you move forward and the brake will assure that the tire does not, and the result is a face plant every time.

If you lean back like on a segway, the braking may work, but a lever in your hand at the front of the unike, like on the handlebar, and no requirement to lean back, means that he must have some sort of device on this unike that can suspend physics. There are laws to mass and movement that simply will not allow for a binder style disk break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

He CLEARLY said that when you grasp the brake lever the software is still fully in control of the braking. This includes automatically leaning back and using whatever electromechanical device is employed to control the wheel's speed, be it motor or disc brake or both. The rider at no point has directly control of the brake mechanism.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
He CLEARLY said that when you grasp the brake lever the software is still fully in control of the braking. This includes automatically leaning back and using whatever electromechanical device is employed to control the wheel's speed, be it motor or disc brake or both. The rider at no point has directly control of the brake mechanism.
Yes, he said that, but if you lean forward and press a lever, it is not the same as leaning back.

One of the regular complaints about the segway software is that so much potential speed and power is saved for emergency. I would guess from what has been published, close to 50% of all available power from the motors is kept in reserve to regain balance in emergency situations.

This is with the operating process that necessitates leaning back to brake. If the process allows you to lean forward while braking, it would be similar to pushing both feet down on the accelerator and brake pedal at the same time.

Most all devices that use a lever to engage the brake, also engage a lever to accelerate. It is not difficult to mechanically link these two, so that the engagement of the brake either dis-engages the accelerator, or negates it. Most drive by wire cars do just this.

Again, to accelerate by leaning forward, but brake by pulling a lever, you are using two distinct processes, and it is far harder to have one out-do the other.

The end result is that an even higher percentage of total performance must therefore be reserved for emergency braking. This seems wasteful and inefficient to me.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 03-28-2011 at 08:00 PM..
Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

It is literally exactly the same effect as engaging the speed limiter on your segway. On this machine, you press a lever to do it. On a Segway, you just go too fast. I used to slow down my Gen 1 all the time by removing a foot instead of leaning back. Segway coordinates its rearward lean in tandem with its deceleration, just as the ryno. I don't understand how you are inventing the scenario of leaning forward and trying to slow down. It is just as silly as trying to go 12.5 mph in turtle mode. Quit hatin', haters!

Edit: I do see what you're saying about leaning forward to accelerate and squeezing a lever to stop. That is a little mentally unintuitive. A little. A very, very little. About as unintuitive as having one of the levers on a motorcycle operate the clutch while another lever operates the brake.

Of course, this is moot because the ryno uses a twist throttle to go and a lever to stop.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man