SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #21
mario-ramos
mario-ramos is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Wonderful. Would you be upset if I ask you to scan page 3 (specifications) again in a size that is readable?
Or send me via e-mail ( mario-ramos@uol.com.br )
Old 04-27-2006, 07:00 PM   #22
mario-ramos
mario-ramos is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Oooops... Forget. I saw the expand button...
Old 04-28-2006, 02:27 AM   #23
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Thanks for posting those!

When looking at the specs it immediately becomes apparent that size is a major drawback...height, width, length, AND weight.

However, the design "wow" factor is there, especially on the apparent 4-wheel version on the last page (laid back model only!)

While I still believe there are major hurdles for the iSwing so overcome before adoption, this does validate the Segway. Now the pressure is on Inc to expand OUR horizons!

Steven
Old 04-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #24
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

That's the cool part Steven, the laid back model is the upright model. It's a convertible, so to speak.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #25
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Citi,

I realize that they are the same model but the difference between the upright and laid back models is huge....sort of like the difference between a Trabant and a DB9!

Steven
Old 04-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #26
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Trabant?!
hmmm... lets see, ah there it is.

Wow! You weren't kidding. Those Trabant's are some pretty hot stuff!

Now if we could just find a way to have the DB9 look like a Trabant only when it was parked...
Old 04-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #27
Sleepy
Sleepy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

They had video of both models at the show. I think both are too big for sidewalks though. The i-Unit would definitely help with parking.

-Alex
Old 04-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #28
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The specs say 330 pound curb weight and a 485 pounds gross weight. This seems to consider a 155 pound rider - certainly not ready for the America market. <grin>

The specs say maximum speed of 5 MPH in 2-wheel mode and 12.5 in 3-wheel mode. The specs also seem to indicate tested speeds of 6.2 in 2-wheel mode and 31 MPH in 3-wheel mode. The 2-wheel mode speed is not very impressive, but then again, it has to balance a 485 pound machine.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #29
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

My interpretation of the higher speeds (6.2 & 31) is that it would be for a future upgraded model. I don't think the current battery technology will allow for this 485 pound vehicle to travel at 31 mph (with starts and stops) for very long. Is it telling that there is no "Range" listed on the Specifications page?

On the "Vehicle preface/Specification" page, I suspect the phrase "Official Evaluation" was mis-translated. Notice that some of the text on the other pages hasn't been "idiom translated", as switches are marked "Out of use", rather than "Not used". My hunch is that the word "evaluation" is a mis-translation of the word "evolution", indicating an intended future development. Just a hunch, though. I could be wrong.

Also, it's fairly obvious that i-swing & i-unit will not be traversing flights of stairs. Once it was said that the HT would encourage cities to be built to accommodate gliding patterns. Turns out the HT & i-bot are somewhat compatible with existing cities (and staircases) as-is, and the i-swing & i-unit positively require a redesign. Unless cars and trucks are eliminated, which I don't see happening anytime soon.

How about they point a camera backwards and put virtual rear-view mirrors on those retractable side displays? Technological overkill, I suppose.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #30
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Default Gov Daniels in Japan tries out the I-Unit

The other day our Governor was in Japan trying to drum up some business for the state, and was with the Secretary of Commerce. They went to Toyota, Subaru, and other auto makers trying to get them interested in building more plants in Indiana. They are seen here at this link trying the Toyota I-Unit. Be sure to hit the zoom button below the pic. I didn't realize that it had bright neon triming around it. Thats kinda cool.
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...73248574272663
I think this I-Unit looks like an Emporers mobile throne/ chariot. Much to big for side walks even if it does bow down and go much faster. I do like the I-swing better.
Here is another much better pic of it in the low position from Wikipedia

Low rider position
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:T..._passenger.jpg

Upright position
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:T...h_position.jpg

Last edited by GadgetmanKen; 06-23-2006 at 09:29 PM..