SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member
Default Toyota's i-swing personal mobility concept

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4730/

Toyota's i-swing personal mobility concept

October 12, 2005 Toyota has released details of the i-swing, a new personal mobility vehicle in the same vein as the personal mobility models (such as the PM , i-unit and I-foot ) Toyota has exhibited previously but one that takes the concept several steps further, with the capability of operating in a similar manner to the Segway in two wheeled mode at walking pace on a footpath so it takes up little space, or transform to a three-wheeled mode for road speeds. In addition to the joystick control, the i-swing can be controlled by body weight movements with a feeling reportedly like turning as if on snow skis. The i-swing concept proposes using Artificial Intelligence to enable it to learn the habits and preferences of users.

In addition to the joystick control, the i-swing can be controlled by body weight movements with a feeling reportedly like turning as if on snow skis. The i-swing concept proposes using Artificial Intelligence to enable it to learn the habits and preferences of users.

The single-person vehicle package boasts an individual design with a "wearable" feeling. Its low-resistance urethane body is covered in cloth to soften any impact while operating near people, and an LED illumination panel can be customized to display an image to suit your mood. When travelling in a bustling street full of people, the i-swing can operate in a two-wheeled mode that takes up little space, so that it is possible to travel while keeping pace and talking with someone on foot.

When there is a need to move quickly, the i-swing can change to a three-wheeled mode, which is fun to travel in. In addition to the stick control, a pedal control can be used to provide a fresh cornering feeling, as you shift your body weight as if you were on skis. The i-swing proposes the concept of using A.I. communication to enable it to grow, learning the habits and preferences of users by storing relevant data about them.

JohnM
Anything worth doing for 2 hours is 10 times more worthwhile if done for 20 hours.
RUSA #235
Old 10-12-2005, 12:21 AM   #2
drolsinatas
drolsinatas

5 yr Member

no thanks

This thing rules.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
Neelix
Neelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Wait, so, it balances?

Also: Teh HUGE!

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight
Old 10-12-2005, 01:28 AM   #4
Tappedout
Tappedout has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

Man you would have to be a huge nerd to buy one of those silly looking things! :-)

Shane

Shane Latham, CEO/President
www.technicallywireless.com
[image]http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/Tappedout/blingbling.jpg[/image]
Old 10-12-2005, 02:51 AM   #5
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Well, it certainly looks like market validation (especially for the Asian market) when Toyota wants to build an EPAMD

Chris
Old 10-12-2005, 05:19 AM   #6
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Hey, now I know what to make my HT into for Halloween this year!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #7
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

This is half-baked and stupid.

How many different models will be required to fit how many body sizes? What's the weight of such a contraption with all of its parts and gizmos? What kind of body activation will be possible if one is cradled in such a plastic coccoon? What kind of power source for what kind or range? How the hill will we "share the road" with something like this? Who besides the "Travel Gnome" would consider going faster than 10mph in it? (Am I going to die?) How could such a thing be less costly than an i180? How does the "looking silly" factor not trump this (dim bulb) "bright" idea? It's amazing the lengths a large company will go to to arrogantly squander funds to avoid patent infringement, in a feeble attempt to "outdo" the Segway.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JohnM

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4730/

Toyota's i-swing personal mobility concept

October 12, 2005 Toyota has released details of the i-swing, a new personal mobility vehicle in the same vein as the personal mobility models (such as the PM , i-unit and I-foot ) Toyota has exhibited previously but one that takes the concept several steps further, with the capability of operating in a similar manner to the Segway in two wheeled mode at walking pace on a footpath so it takes up little space, or transform to a three-wheeled mode for road speeds. In addition to the joystick control, the i-swing can be controlled by body weight movements with a feeling reportedly like turning as if on snow skis. The i-swing concept proposes using Artificial Intelligence to enable it to learn the habits and preferences of users.

In addition to the joystick control, the i-swing can be controlled by body weight movements with a feeling reportedly like turning as if on snow skis. The i-swing concept proposes using Artificial Intelligence to enable it to learn the habits and preferences of users.

The single-person vehicle package boasts an individual design with a "wearable" feeling. Its low-resistance urethane body is covered in cloth to soften any impact while operating near people, and an LED illumination panel can be customized to display an image to suit your mood. When travelling in a bustling street full of people, the i-swing can operate in a two-wheeled mode that takes up little space, so that it is possible to travel while keeping pace and talking with someone on foot.

When there is a need to move quickly, the i-swing can change to a three-wheeled mode, which is fun to travel in. In addition to the stick control, a pedal control can be used to provide a fresh cornering feeling, as you shift your body weight as if you were on skis. The i-swing proposes the concept of using A.I. communication to enable it to grow, learning the habits and preferences of users by storing relevant data about them.

JohnM
Anything worth doing for 2 hours is 10 times more worthwhile if done for 20 hours.
RUSA #235
"Segway Dan" Swanson
727-403-2628
www.segwayclearwater.com
Old 10-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #8
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Old 10-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #9
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I dunno. I think it looks interesting. But then I like wierd looking vehicles LOL. Personally, I think comparing it to the HT is like apples to oranges, but what it does say to me is that although joe sixpack may yell slurs at us as we ride, the major transportation manufacturers are taking the HT and alternative transportation models very seriously - which I consider a good thing for the environment. Now, all that said, I'm not trading in my HT for one of these (even if it will keep me dryer) .

Pam
Old 10-13-2005, 01:10 AM   #10
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

Very important question: Has one of these things been built or is all of this just drawings?

Stan Dobrowski