SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:42 AM   #21
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

After viewing the video, I have to admit that it does move gracefully for what it is, a glorified electric tricycle. Poor lateral and rear visibility, partial cover from the elements (if you're going to be partially covered, why not go all the way and not be covered at all [segway], captive driver, no definite position as far as where this thing could be used (it's larger than a person, and heavier than a true "personal" transporter -- Why the 2-wheel function at all?)

It's definitely a work in progress. I think maybe if they stick to the three wheeled fuction, it could be decently urbal roadworthy, but it's definitely NOT a pedestrian friendly device.

And what's with the lava lamp ish capsule on the front? LOL

-Sal

Segway Chat Member since July 2003
Segway Owner since August 2003
Old 10-27-2005, 12:45 AM   #22
Neelix
Neelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Okay. I think I get it.

I was expecting something.... practical. I dunno...

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight
Old 10-28-2005, 01:33 PM   #23
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

I kinda hate to say this, but there may be some inspiration to be found in the Toyota enclosure design that Segway can learn from.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:40 PM   #24
Sal
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

I hear what you're saying GyroGo, but my opinion is that one of the best "safety" features of the Segway is it's in fact it's open design. Though it doesn't protect from the elements, it's that feature which creates an escape route for crashes, accidents.

-Sal

Old 10-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #25
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Segway OPTIONAL enclosure?
Old 10-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #26
Sal

:-)

I guess that's what I was getting at, apologies... If the optional enclosure was somehow designed to detach, and not hold the rider captive in a unfortunate accident, that would be a good safety mechanism.

But one thing that makes the Segway different is that both our arms are available (sometimes) to work, gesture, etc. And our legs can bend, and allow our bodies to sway in turns. Without the enclosure, the Segway does become an extension of our bodies, something one wears.

Though I havet to say that whatever enclosure INC designs would be HOT and SLICK!

-Sal

Old 10-28-2005, 02:39 PM   #27
GyroGo

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by salkulkarni

Without the enclosure, the Segway does become an extension of our bodies, something one wears.
But whatever you're wearing, sometimes it's nice to have that extra buffer from nature's elements: an umbrella, a windshield, climate control, sound control..... Nice to have options on cold windy rainy days.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #28
Sal

Very true! :-)

I remember once, for the heck of it, trying to use an umbrella while gliding...

It made for a great sail! he he he!

-Sal

Old 10-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #29
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

It doesn't look like it would be to hard to fully enclose the I-swing, as is. Did you notice when he backed up that he assumed their was no one behind him? He didn't look, albeit, he was just passing thru that area. There were no rear view mirrors that I could tell. It might be good to have mirrors, if your rear vision is somewhat obscured.

Also, I think that if you were to hit a hole or bump, that small front wheel might not take it so good. It seems that the small front wheel doesn't turn, but the turning is actually done thru a tilt of one side or the other, from the rear wheel, which cants the whole body over to one side and tilting the front wheel as well. At least in the third wheel mode. I imagine in the two wheel mode its done by slowing or braking one wheel. Don't know for sure. I wonder if they are using the same gyro mechanisms as the HT has for balance in the two wheel mode?

I think I know how the HT can be enclosed and still be able to escape "the cocoon", if need be. The getting out quickly from the rear isn't the problem tho, its the being flung forward, thats the tricky part. I believe the solution would be the same for both. I will work on a design, but, some one will need to test it. Seeing how I don't have an HT, "YET". Any locals want to help?

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"