SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New Battery/ies or a New Segway?

Hi again, gliding family. It's been awhile because my one of my Segway batteries died, so it's been used as a coat hanger and I've been squished in NYC subways (cry for me).

I'm considering buying a new battery, although I am not sure it's wise to buy one instead of two. OR maybe I'll upgrade.

I'm conflicted because I don't see the point of investing thousands (2 batteries for $2K) into an i2 when there's a new Segway model available.
But if I only buy one new battery, I'll worry about the reliability of the existing one while on the go.

If the new Segway is about $3-4K (I haven't checked prices), I may buy one. If more, maybe battery replacement is the way to go.

I bought my i2 for about $5K and have rarely used it due to NYC regulations and being kicked out of the bike room at my job. So I don't see myself making such an investment again.

Thoughts?
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

As you likely know, the segway will defer to the weakest battery, so if your current batteries are more than 5 or so years old, I would agree that a pair makes sense.

I would be surprised to find the price of a new segway at 3 or 4 thousand. I have not heard of that, I would guess more like 5 or 6.

One consideration you may make would be to have your current batteries re-packed. I would check with MTO before doing any major battery investments, if I were in your situation.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
As you likely know, the segway will defer to the weakest battery, so if your current batteries are more than 5 or so years old, I would agree that a pair makes sense.

I would be surprised to find the price of a new segway at 3 or 4 thousand. I have not heard of that, I would guess more like 5 or 6.

One consideration you may make would be to have your current batteries re-packed. I would check with MTO before doing any major battery investments, if I were in your situation.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the suggestions and info, KSagal.

I watched this vid which is making me want to just hold out and save up for a new one.

We'll see
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:56 AM   #4
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

Default Go for new batteries

Nice to see you back, Lilyc!

You may be surprised to find that new i2SEs are going for around $6500. You didn't say how many miles you have on your i2, but if it's in the 5-6K range, and it's still in decent physical shape, I'd opt for the new batteries. My oldest i2 has logged 11K miles, and is still running great on its original set of batteries, so based on my experience, your machine might have many more miles left in it. Just my opinion, but that's what you asked for. ;-)

BTW, I still think it sucks that you're not allowed to park with the bikes.

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
Hi again, gliding family. It's been awhile because my one of my Segway batteries died, so it's been used as a coat hanger and I've been squished in NYC subways (cry for me).

I'm considering buying a new battery, although I am not sure it's wise to buy one instead of two. OR maybe I'll upgrade.

I'm conflicted because I don't see the point of investing thousands (2 batteries for $2K) into an i2 when there's a new Segway model available.
But if I only buy one new battery, I'll worry about the reliability of the existing one while on the go.

If the new Segway is about $3-4K (I haven't checked prices), I may buy one. If more, maybe battery replacement is the way to go.

I bought my i2 for about $5K and have rarely used it due to NYC regulations and being kicked out of the bike room at my job. So I don't see myself making such an investment again.

Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #5
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

After 13 months (1 month after warranty expiration) one (1) battery failed and I had to purchase a new one to keep Trigger going. An expensive and disappointing experience. It's been 8 years now and while the batteries clearly are degraded from optimal performance levels, Trigger performs his daily chores adequately.

OEM suggests replacement of batteries in sets and I can see that that is appropriate if the batteries are older than three (3) or four (4) years; otherwise you risk the lesser of the batteries controlling the operating parameters of the better battery. In my situation, it worked because the surviving battery was relatively new and the performance between the two (2) was not that dramatic. I wouldn't do that today after eight (8) years however.

As far as replacement, MTO looks to me to be the best option whether it's one (1) or two (2). The performance upgrade with the much lower upfront cost and the quality rep. that MTO has, convinces me that that is the way to go when I need replacements. Remember, a fair amount of electronics are embedded in each battery and, if they are still good, only replacing the Li-Ion cells can be cost effective.

Good luck and hope to hear that you're back on the road soon.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Yes Batteries, No new SE

Another one for Battery replacement or refurbishment (both batteries).

If the SEG is OK except for the battery issue it's difficult to justify the extra cost of a new SE model, more so with your reduced gliding miles.

Thank you for posting the Pacific Beach i2 to SE comparison video link. The presentation has changed my view of the SE design changes.

While none of the changes are must haves they are not as don't what as first felt. Initial negatives were the lean steer style change, commuter bag change, and loss of the Segway Brand Cable Lock point (lock no longer an accessory option). Lean steer change is practical after all if not as stylish IMHO. Original commuter bag is still (for now) available as an accessory. Standard bike cable lock can be used {had thought the SE lean steer base section was solid}.

P.S. As others have said Welcome Back to the forum. Past posts of your NYC adventures have all been enjoyable reads.

= = =
i2 Miles now at 7,914 over 4-years 2-months of gliding
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

From where I sit, the changes from I2 to I2SE are directionally correct, but relatively inconsequential.

The change to the LeanSteer frame mounting is useful for those who regularly remove it. It's easier, and keeps one from having to deal with the re-centering of the LeanSteer frame onto the base.

The reduction in height of the center console is probably the best change. The speaker says it helps you mount the Seg, but I think the big advantage is that the console has less tendency to trap your feet if the Seg goes one way and you go another.

Considering a low-mileage I2 needing batteries, but otherwise in good condition, I would opt for the batteries, rather than a new I2 SE machine. We're talking a couple of grand for two rebuilt batteries, versus $6k plus for a new machine. Even if you have to get new tires (or a gearbox or motor!) you're still thousands of dollars ahead, and you've essentially got the same machine.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
JW Hunter
JW Hunter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default i2 SE Battery Timer

Any word on whether they've corrected the charging issue on SE?

They were sending timers to purchasers to keep their batteries from going bad....there were other QC issues with the SE as well.
JW Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW Hunter View Post
Any word on whether they've corrected the charging issue on SE?

They were sending timers to purchasers to keep their batteries from going bad....there were other QC issues with the SE as well.
Timers? Charging issues? Please elaborate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, segway