SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Stuff to Buy and Sell

Notices

Stuff to Buy and Sell Classified ads for anything Segway-related accessories, products and sales.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
mondaylover
mondaylover is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Either selling 2 i2's without batteries or looking to buy replacements batteries

Hi folks

I recently loaned two Segways to an Ambient Media owner in Glasgow. This chap decided to charge the Segways on a generator and killed the batteries on both Segways. When I asked him to pay for the cost of replacing the batteries he said I didn't warn him against charging on a generator. This is true but I wasn't aware that you couldn't. I also trained his guy to charge the Segway in the normal wall socket.

Anyway I'm left in the position of having two i2's without batteries. I either need to buy new batteries for both of them or try and sell the Segways without batteries.

So 1. Would you be interested in buying one of them or both or 2. Can you recommend somewhere I can buy replacement batteries.

Segways are in excellent condition and work perfectly when replacement batteries are added. I borrowed some batteries for a promotions job we did recently from the lovely guys at Segway Ireland but had to give them back.

I will sell Segways without the batteries to the best offer. I could potentially deliver to mainland UK or anywhere in Ireland for a fair sale price on the Segway(s).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dean (www.ilovemondays.net)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Are you a monday lover?
mondaylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I am not aware that you cannot charge them with a properly working generator... If I were you, I would check with a good battery company first… I know one reads this forum and posts here from time to time…

You may be able to salvage those batteries, and save yourself a great deal of money…

Of course, you may have already done the research, and are right and they are no good…

Either way, I would love to know why they can or cannot be charged by generator, and why…

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Email Sent

Hi Dean

I have sent you an email message, via your website.

Cheers
Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
coaster
coaster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I am not aware that you cannot charge them with a properly working generator...
Either way, I would love to know why they can or cannot be charged by generator, and why…

I too would like to know why a generator can not charge a Segway.

That was one way I was thinking to extend the range by towing a Gen. in a trailer to charge up.

Anybody want to buy a famous Segway
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thoughts from someone who's actually worked on power circuitry as an electrical engineer...

There is no inherent reason you cannot charge batteries with a generator.

I think it quite possible there is an entirely different cause. Or, it could be a defective generator -- obviously, a generator that puts out too low a voltage won't get the job done. But the type of charging circuitry on a Segway is pretty forgiving; it can handle a significant range of frequencies and voltages (I don't have the specs in front of me).

But it's likely the problem is just that the batteries weren't charged at all. He may not have known how to use his generator, or may have expected to charge them with just a few minutes of charging, then left them fully discharged before returning them to you. The generator may have been too noisy! Self-discharge would then have taken them down below the point where they would accept a charge.

In any event, it's likely the batteries can be revived.

I would not hesitate to charge my Segway from a generator. I've seen a small portable generator charge many Segways simultaneously for Segway Polo.

But I *would* verify that my generator was actually working properly. That's very easily done.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #6
mondaylover
mondaylover is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Dead Batteries

Hi folks thanks for the replies.

I did take the batteries to the main dealer in Dublin and he managed to get 2 of the 4 batteries to work for about a day or two. Then the other 2 just gave out as well.

I have no way of knowing what the chap in Glasgow did to kill the batteries. All I can guess was that it was due to the generator as this is the only thing he said he did differently than me. They use generators all the time to put air into inflatable billboards so they should theoretically know what they were doing.

We had no agreement in place about things like this so I had no legs to stand on and he has been less than gentlemanly about it.

Reviving the batteries would be such a coup!

I've e-mailed Michael who posted here and we'll see what happens. If I can't sort within the next few days it's more than likely that they will sell on the current listing on eBay. Gutted to have to sell them like this.

Thanks again

Dean

Are you a monday lover?
mondaylover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, i2 for sale, segway ireland, segway without battery