SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:00 AM   #1
Brandis
Brandis is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Redundancy of motors

I was wondering how the redundancy of the motors works. I thought that each motor is connected to one wheel only. So if one motor fails, how can the other take over? Wouldn't you just start to spin because only one wheel is further turned?

Marc
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:14 AM   #2
solotrek
solotrek

5 yr Member

Hi Marc,
Here's a link for more info.

http://www.segway.com/segway/component_details.html
solotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:34 AM   #3
Brandis
Brandis is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Thanks!

My mistake was to think of redundancy between the two motors, but now I understand that EACH motor has 2 separate windings where one can take over the load if the other fails.

Marc
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Falling down

Has anyone actually been on a Segway when they're sure a motor winding failed and the system saved them by switching over to the spare winding on the motor? I'm curious how "smooth" the transition is.

ps - As many people have pointed out on this board before, don't go into alot of details if things didn't go well. We'd like not to be the source of bad press.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plomoh
I'm curious how "smooth" the transition is.
It doesn't switch to the other motor winding and keep going, it switches AND shuts down. Safety shutdown would be initiated as soon as the winding fault was detected. It has to use the other winding to accomplish the shutdown. A user experiencing this symptom would get a red wrench, and the HT probably would not re-start unless the open winding was intermittent.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
Dragan
Dragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant future

5 yr Member

Can't say that I have, nor do I know of anyone who's had that unfortunate experience. If I read your question correctly, it implies that the expectation would be that the machine would just transition to single motor operation and continue on it's way.
Not the case; if a motor fails the dual windings will allow the fully functioning system to take the load while bringing you to a controlled stop in a safety shutdown. The redundancy here is not multi-layer..you can't expect safe performance with that much systems degradation, so the best thing for your safety is to stop and shut down
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default Three rules of robotics

"To protect the human"

If a motor fails, I would hope the rest of the machine would do what it could to save my life.

Thats why there are 'crumple zones' in cars, the heck with the car
... protect the human

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something rightâ„¢

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default clarification

I was aware that upon winding failure the segway does a safety shutdown. I was trying to avoid saying that term as I delved into this type of problem.

But since my vagueness led to some confusion, I'll be more explicit. When a winding in the motor fails, a segway will go into safety shutdown. This is a very jarring event if you've been travelling at top speed. I was curious if this type of safety shutdown would was more "dramatic" than other safety shutdowns.

Upon losing a winding, I'd think that that motor would momentarily lose some ability to deliver torque to the wheels. Hence as you glide to a stop, would one motor deliver less power causing a turn? Or would their be a sudden jolt (due to less power being delivered to one motor) beyond the usual jolt associated with a safety shutdown?

Maybe I just need to apply my "shorting wire" to the frame and keyport and try out some safety shutdowns on some cushy lawn around here, eh? (Though I'm not sure how I'd cause a motor winding shorting out!)
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plomoh
Upon losing a winding, I'd think that that motor would momentarily lose some ability to deliver torque to the wheels. Hence as you glide to a stop, would one motor deliver less power causing a turn? Or would their be a sudden jolt (due to less power being delivered to one motor) beyond the usual jolt associated with a safety shutdown?
Well, you know..... the control boards in the Segway HT have 3 times the power of a PC, and has for 5 years now! Thats pretty impressive considering how much faster PC's have become in that time. </snark>

But seriously, if they are updating the wheels 1000 time per second, I doubt there will be any noticable difference between a winding-related Saftey Shutdown and any other shutdown.
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Regarding loosing a winding,

The following is speculation.

The "other" winding may not be completely idle while the HT is in operation. The controller boards may switch windings at their discretion. Perhaps when one winding is running hot (has higher resistance), the controller switches over to the other one until the temperature evens out.

The precedent is that the batteries are used in an alternative fashion. The controller boards draw power first on one battery, then the other. That way, when one battery gets low, the other can be used for shutdown. Also, when one battery has more "juice" left, it can be used for a higher percentage of the time (say 60/40) until it evens up with the lower one.

In addition, the blinky range indicator always shows the range of the "lower" battery pack. Range estimations are made while using each pack, and the lowest one of the two is sent to blinky.

If the batteries were used in parallel, a shorting fault in one would cripple the other and the safety redundancy would be lost. Therefore power is only being drawn (at any given instant) from only one pack at a time.

Since there are no high power connections between the two controller boards other than the six power wires going to the motors, I would conclude that the way the HT "alternates" using each battery, is in fact, to use the alternate windings of the motors.

Just my observation, it could be incorrect.

I have thought up a way to test the open winding fault. It involves opening the powerbase, adding a relay, and a little soldering. If you're interested, let me know and I'll post it.

Last edited by bystander; 08-04-2006 at 01:52 PM..
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote