SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 04-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #21
RC Mike
Account Suspended
RC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai
I don’t recall loosing thousands of soldiers with tens of thousands of our boys (and girls) maimed in Clinton’s war. At least he was up front about his "nation-building". No real oil there either, right?

http://www.nytimes.com/specials/bosn...us-troops.html
Was reading this story, and found it hilarious. You say Clinton was "nation-building," but as this section of the article shows, there was no nation-building going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
The officials who give the orders to commanders want to keep the American troops protected to the point that they are reluctant to expose the soldiers to the dangers they might encounter if they actively pursued the indicted war criminals who are known to be at large in Bosnia.

Restrictions on the American soldiers are such that after six months in Bosnia, few have ever spoken to a Bosnian. Most of them can only see the country over the razor wire encircling their camps, or from convoys and patrols sent out under strict orders not to stop at a corner store for so much as a soft drink. Flak jackets are required attire off base.

"I'd kind of like the chance to talk to the people I'm over here to help," said Sgt. Steven Miller, of Louisville, Ky.

The sergeant and Pfc. Joe Antu were having Pepsis at a base snack shop located between the workout room and a dirt field loaded with trucks and Bradley fighting vehicles. That has been pretty much the extent of their world for the last half year.

Antu, from San Antonio, said: "I went home on leave and my buddies asked me what Bosnia is like. I told them I have no idea."

When American soldiers arrived in Bosnia, in freezing temperatures, and before the local armies were ordered to stay in their barracks, GIs had fewer complaints about not being able to move freely outside their bases.
So it seems that the entire purpose of the Clinton "adventure" was to provide profits for (you guessed it) Halliburton who did the base construction over there. Any comment Josh?

Mike
RC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #22
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Mike,

Now you done it...You done tarnished Ole Bill with the Halliburton brush.

Of course, I'm sure this is just another right wing conspiracy to defame such a great (choke, choke) man.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #23
RC Mike
Account Suspended
RC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

The funny thing is that those bases are still there, still manned by American troops, still operated by Halliburton, paying for Cheney's retirement, and you hear nothing from the left wing about the fact that we have been occupiers for 10 YEARS. Why is it OK to occupy Bosnia but not Iraq? Oh yeah, cause Bill did it and they did not protest then, so to protest now would show the world their hypocracy.

Mike
Old 04-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #24
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

History is always a better read when you have the chance to re-write it, editing out the parts you don't like.

Bosnia always is a forgotten war 'cause you can't hammer the right for it. And Josh, before you get to far ahead of yourself, yes, I supported that war too.

Steven
Old 05-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #25
RC Mike
Account Suspended

5 yr Member

Lets see.. Italy, 1944-2006... 66
years
Germany 1945-2006.... 65 years Japan 1945-2006 65 years S Korea 1950-2006 56 years French Indochina AKA Vietnam 1955-1974 19 years

Iraq 2003-2006 3 YEARS

Mike

Last edited by RC Mike; 05-01-2006 at 01:13 AM..
Old 05-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #26
Buckaroo Banzai
Buckaroo Banzai is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Talking Bush sang anthem in Spanish in campaign...

When I find the video of this, someone owes me a beer! Lol.

Bush sang anthem in Spanish in campaign
Also: Revelation that U.S. sought Spanish national anthem in 1919.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/05/02/...panish-anthem/

Viva Bush!

Sorry guys,

Been crazy busy lately. (2 jobs and fathering duties)

Will try to counter all the points soon as I have time. If this is no longer fun for us I am more than willing to go back to Seg talk but these are interesting times and history is being made as we speak. I am pledging now to try my best to keep our dialogue positive and steer away from personal attacks. Please don’t take all my posts literally. I’ll attempt to be more clear from now on regarding my "sweeping statements".

IMO, The land belongs to god, we just lease it for a while.

My understanding of the “nuke test” coming up is that calculations are being made to see how much nuclear material is needed to have the same result as the conventional explosives being used (for "bunker-busters").

As for “labeling people”, sounds like a political correctness debate to me. Symantics, IMO. More later, ok?

“Yep, I'm hard-core. But rules are there for a reason...why don't we just follow them?”

- Because sometimes our kings, queens and presidents are wrong and laws must be changed for obvious reasons. (Slavery, voting rights, segregation)

The "browning" of America is real. Just saying some folks should embrace it, IMO.

To be continued.

Last edited by Buckaroo Banzai; 05-03-2006 at 12:34 AM..
Buckaroo Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:49 AM   #27
RC Mike
Account Suspended

5 yr Member

Quote:
The whole “national anthem should be sung in english because it’s our national languageas one nation under god” thing is horsesh*t base-pandering tripe used to COMPLETELY DISTRACT otherwise sane people from the original issue that was hovering two inches in front of their face. You’re left with the residual odor and no substance.

Proof: congress is discussing deporting 12 million immigrants, but the white house is discussing what language to sing the baseball theme song.

When Bush finally departs the mortal coil and wisps his way to heaven, I expect the big man to meet him at the gate and say “ARBUSTO, NO MAS!” before he descends to his fiery doom.

Comment by Drew Mackenzie — May 2, 2006 @ 2:58 pm
I'm glad you feel this way. BUT Most of America feels we should have a constitution which deals with citizens and with illegal people on our land, and that the law should prevail.

Mike
Old 05-03-2006, 06:58 AM   #28
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Law???

Sorry, Mike, but although I might agree in principle, I have to grin at your statement a bit - there are so many areas these days where the law doesn't prevail, particularly in this administration. Law is a very flexible thing these days, apparently.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:16 AM   #29
Desert_Seg

5 yr Member

Ah, but that is what this issue is all about. Either we enforce the immigration law or we change it. And the only way to change it is to enforce it once we change it.

Unfortunately, we have looked the other way for so long that it has become a 12M (or is it 14M) person problem. Of course enforcing it is going to piss somebody off, including the 12M (or 14M) people who are directly affected by it and the countles others who are indirectly affected.

Questions -

- Do you realize that the number of illegal immigrants accounts for 5% of our nation's population?
- Do you the percentage of public assistance (not just welfare but all combined) that is expended on illegal immigrants?
- Do you realize how much money illegal immigrants send out of the country every day, money that could be staying here?

Most people only look at the "people" side of this issue. They don't look at the economics, they don't look at the repurcussions of letting an unabatted stream of illegal immigrants enter the country.

While the tired argument that the illegal immigrants only do the jobs that "you and I" don't want is partially true, the reason "you and I" don't want them is because of the low pay, and the low pay is because the illegal immigrants can't complain about the pay, so "you and I" (who believe we are worth more and will complain) won't take the job. It is a vicious circle, played out over and over and over again.

If you look at much of the research done over the past few years, the damage done to our nation, economically and otherwise, is huge.

We do have rules...now let's enforce them properly.

Steven
Old 05-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #30
Buckaroo Banzai
Buckaroo Banzai is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Talking Post: Bush to disobey more than 750 laws

This is getting comical again. LOVE IT!
Obey the law?? Lol. Lol. Lol.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa...dreds_of_laws/

I'll try to get back here later today.

Peace all.

Viva America!

"If you look at much of the research done over the past few years, the damage done to our nation, economically and otherwise, is huge."

Like a bogus war costing a trillion dollars? “The war will pay for itself.” Who said that again? Hmmmm. Lol.

Someone once explained a trillion like this:

If dollars were seconds; a million is a few days, a billion is over a month and a trillion is 217 CENTURIES! Thanks George. I don't think our immigrants are the problem but they sure are easy to scapegoat.