SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Charging port

So as I look at my i2 SE, I notice the plastic door covering the charging port is missing. This appears quite common; does anyone actually ever replace these? Are they "just" cosmetic or help with water resistance?

Just polling the audience at this point
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Default Never replaced mine

My cover port broke off very early. I never bothered to replace it and have not had any problems. I think it does help with water proofing but I never take mine into standing water and get out of the rain as soon as possible.

I have seen some people make a cheep replacement by cutting off just the end of a power cord and inserting it in the space. Of course you must take it out and replace it with an intact power cord when you want to charge.
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

That door was missing from both of our I2's when we bought them. I think they remove the doors on purpose on many Seg tour rental machines because they're charging them several time per day and the doors can be a PITA

I bought new console covers for our Segs, mainly because I wanted the doors and they don't sell just the doors. Think I hunted around until I found the console covers for about $25 each

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
dmurphy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiMike View Post
My cover port broke off very early. I never bothered to replace it and have not had any problems. I think it does help with water proofing but I never take mine into standing water and get out of the rain as soon as possible.

I have seen some people make a cheep replacement by cutting off just the end of a power cord and inserting it in the space. Of course you must take it out and replace it with an intact power cord when you want to charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
That door was missing from both of our I2's when we bought them. I think they remove the doors on purpose on many Seg tour rental machines because they're charging them several time per day and the doors can be a PITA

I bought new console covers for our Segs, mainly because I wanted the doors and they don't sell just the doors. Think I hunted around until I found the console covers for about $25 each

Don
Thanks guys! I like the idea of making a power cord plug; anything to keep the water out is a Good Thing (tm) in my book. Goodness knows I've got plenty of power cords around here - one can make the ultimate sacrifice ...

... or, I get a new console cover. Now that I shipped it back to the seller to fix the charging issue, we'll see what the situation is... they may swap it for another unit - still TBD.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Sounds like an opportunity for someone with a 3D printer. A snug-fitting plug with a handle to pull it out.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
dmurphy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
Sounds like an opportunity for someone with a 3D printer. A snug-fitting plug with a handle to pull it out.
Hmm.... a friend-of-a-friend is pretty handy with a 3D printer. Maybe I'll have him make one for me as a prototype. Great idea!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #7
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Thanks MagiMike . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiMike View Post

Trigger is 12 years old now with over 12K miles and the cover was useless from the beginning and hasn't been around for 11 3/4 years. Trigger goes through rain storms, standing and running water on a regular basis and I've never had a problem with the charging port.

Nonetheless, a power cord is about to be sacrificed as I have too many and it sounds like a great idea to add some additional protection. Besides, if I leave a few inches of cord on the end of the plug, Trigger will now have a tail!!!!

Thanks MagiMike.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote