SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:39 AM   #1
JaredHT
JaredHT will become famous soon enoughJaredHT will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Windows Vista

Anyone have any experience with the September build of Microsoft Windows Vista? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts!~

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier

Segway of Ohio
330.535.2200 (office)
330.903.4100 (cell)
JaredHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The September build seems to be a lot slower than the Beta 1 build. It sure is pretty in Aero Glass mode though

There are some great features in there, not the least of which is the updated security model (least-privileged-user).

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

It's about time Win users got a taste of decent security!
Ya'll deserve it for all you've been through these past years.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Segway Chat Member since July 2003
Segway Owner since August 2003
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
JaredHT
JaredHT will become famous soon enoughJaredHT will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Slower? Interesting! I ran the previous Beta 1...my laptop is decent for aps (64bit, 1Gig ram) but doesn't have the graphics to run 'glass'.

The updated security model looks great on paper. Can't wait to see it at launch. If anyone else has info, I'd love to hear it.

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier

Segway of Ohio
330.535.2200 (office)
330.903.4100 (cell)
JaredHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

Jared,

I think that Microsoft may have taken out a bunch of the "debug" code in Beta 1, which isn't there in the September "limited release" build.

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 04:48 PM   #6
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by salkulkarni

It's about time Win users got a taste of decent security!
Ya'll deserve it for all you've been through these past years.
Perhaps when the MacOS gets the same sized audience as Windows, we'll find out how many security holes it contains. Until then, I guess you can sleep tight - and the majority of the world will continue to enjoy the cheaper, more compatible, and greater support offered to Windows users.

As for Vista, I really can't wait to see how it shapes up. I'm not brave enough to install the beta, but sure like reading about those brave enough to do so. Shame they've dropped go-live support of WinFS though - sounds like the next big thing.

-

To segue, or not to segue, that is the question.
gbrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gbrandwood
Shame they've dropped go-live support of WinFS though - sounds like the next big thing.
It certainly was the next big thing when BeOS did it years ago.

--
swiftly flying
citivolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:40 PM   #8
Sal
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gbrandwood

Perhaps when the MacOS gets the same sized audience as Windows, we'll find out how many security holes it contains. Until then, I guess you can sleep tight - and the majority of the world will continue to enjoy the cheaper, more compatible, and greater support offered to Windows users.
LOL, it's not like I haven't heard that one before. But I think there's more to it than the age old userbase retort to viruses.MacOS X based on UnixBSD has had something that Vista finally adds to it's subsequent userbase. Root level authentication for any app install etc.

But in any case, you're probably right, if and when the Mac userbase hits that of Windows, we may yet see a plethora of viruses, etc. But until then, I'm secure in knowing that Apple users are virtually immune.

I actually intended my initial comment(s) very sincerely. I use a WinBox at work, and we have had COUNTLESS hours of idleness due to network(s) being down, and a couple of viral infections. And that network is by no means a fly-by-night operation.

So I DO mean with all sincerety, I hope M$ finally gets it right for all of you on the Win side.

:-)

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Old 10-03-2005, 12:15 AM   #9
Sal

Ugh, "rootkit" techniques are becoming prevalent in virii and spyware, I hope both Apple and M$ will have protection against such surreptitious attacks.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Old 10-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #10
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I know you were sincere, Sal, but it does get my goat when comments regarding Windows security are unfairly framed.

As you infer in your second reply, root level authentication is not the be all and end all of security issues. Critical mass is the biggest issue here, imho. And you've heard it before because it's true, and you'll continue to hear it for the foreseeable future.

Look at how Firefox is starting to show cracks in its security now more people are using it. Same deal.

The mac has its place and excels in certain areas - our design team loves them. But being happy that you're almost immune to attacks because of a lack of success is not something I'd, or Apple, would be proud of.

Windows has its fair share of problems, but its exposure makes security issues known quantities - and known quantities can be worked with.

And in places I've worked, the majority of major network down time is due to a lack of adequate skills in configuring, loading and securing networks. Whilst Windows gets the blame, it's more often than not a cover up for a poorly configured setup.

The are lots of factors involved in choosing suitable OS's, security, support, availability of skills (user & admin)/training, available software, compability... Windows excels in all these areas.

These are simply my beliefs based on my experiences. I'm not an SA by any means and I enjoy learning more about the mac and other platforms/OS's. And I'm looking forward especially to Windows Vista... I don't want to hi-jack this topic too much (sorry Jared!).

-

gbrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote