SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:55 AM   #31
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I had the same thought when I wrote that. I might ask the seller if he knows the story. The top AirWheel model is now for sale in Harrods (in store) so I hope it is not a shameless copy.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #32
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

There's so many other brand of the single balancing wheel transporting device in Asia, I think there's more then 10 brands on the market and there's also the two wheel variant.

I found using the training rope is easier to get the hang of it, but overall experience is still hard to handle and nowhere near the relax glide of Segway.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #33
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

It appears the Airwheel is actually more advanced, sporting the equivalent of our speed limiter and audible warnings. The solowheel instructions say something like "be careful about leaning too hard as there might not be enough power to keep you up."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 08-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #34
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
It appears the Airwheel is actually more advanced, sporting the equivalent of our speed limiter and audible warnings. The solowheel instructions say something like "be careful about leaning too hard as there might not be enough power to keep you up."
I didn't get a manual with mine but the ones I have found online have all been poorly translated. It has the ability to slow you down when the battery runs low but the manual warns about starting it up again afterwards in case there is not enough power to manage a safe shutdown. A bit like a V10 Segway before the first recall (v12), I think.

I managed a couple of laps of my estate just now - which is a fairly quiet residential area with gentle turns. This followed lunchtime practice at work trying to slalom around some lampposts (fairly unsuccessfully). I feel like I am getting there but my ankles are sore (and red) and the side of my shins are also surprisingly sore. Speed bumps are manageable but stones might be enough to cause a mishap.

At this point, I think it will be a long time before I am totally relaxed - if ever. My goal is to become competent enough to operate on quite pavements so I can have a go at riding to work via the train station, a journey I made several times on my Segway (but from a different house which was about 2 miles closer to the station). So, I will focus on turning and then slopes.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #35
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amimoto View Post
There's so many other brand of the single balancing wheel transporting device in Asia, I think there's more then 10 brands on the market and there's also the two wheel variant.
Airwheel offer two two-wheel models (their Q range) - mine is part of the single wheel X range. The two wheel version is supposedly much easier to learn requiring less balance skills, but I imagine also lacking something in fluidity. Not sure what would happen if you lean to the side and one wheel lifts...
Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #36
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

It seems to me that a folded Brompton isn't much larger or heavier a package than the airwheel / solowheel, and infinitely better dynamics and utility...
Old 08-07-2014, 04:20 AM   #37
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

If all you are looking for is a way to get from A to B (with maybe some public transport involved) then the folding Brompton would certainly be an option - a fine option for many people. But not nearly as interesting or fun as something a bit more 'gadgety'. There are pros and cons for both and we have debated these when considering a bicycle versus a Segway, many times over the years. In this instance, the turning circle of the Airwheel is much bigger than the Segway - but probably smaller than a bicycle. Top speed is less than a bicycle and a Segway but still much quicker than walking. The range is infinitely less than a bicycle and most models offer less range than a Gen2 Segway, but there is much less exertion involved on the Airwheel than a bicycle (about the same as a Segway, once mastered) and practically no folding to be done. It's smaller and lighter than a Segway but less suited to people who need more stabilisation. And of course, as I'm finding, it is taking time to learn. A Segway was very quick for me. Can't recall how long it took me to learn a bicycle! The new Airwheel/Solowheel models posted by Luckie look really cool - especially the Orbit
Old 08-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #38
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Okay, getting there. Managed to ride to a coffee shop on campus, step off outside, carry it in, lean it against the wall and placed my order (to go). Carried my coffee and the ride back outside and started it up (was a bit tougher with an audience and the coffee in hand). Rode it back to the office... "like a boss"!

I hit the speed limiter for the first time today. I felt a bit more confident so tried to go faster. The speed limiter acts a lot like the Segway one does. It pushes you back - or rather it tilts the platform back so you only feel it in your feet (as there is no handlebar) - but it also beeps. I did as I was told and slowed down.

I can start and stop better now. If I could juggle I think I'd definitely try for a career in the circus!

I'm still using the training strap but not needing it so much. I think maybe in a week it'll come off.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #39
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Okay, getting there. Managed to ride to a coffee shop on campus, step off outside, carry it in, lean it against the wall and placed my order (to go). Carried my coffee and the ride back outside and started it up (was a bit tougher with an audience and the coffee in hand). Rode it back to the office... "like a boss"!

I hit the speed limiter for the first time today. I felt a bit more confident so tried to go faster. The speed limiter acts a lot like the Segway one does. It pushes you back - or rather it tilts the platform back so you only feel it in your feet (as there is no handlebar) - but it also beeps. I did as I was told and slowed down.

I can start and stop better now. If I could juggle I think I'd definitely try for a career in the circus!

I'm still using the training strap but not needing it so much. I think maybe in a week it'll come off.
Have someone take a video for us to see? I know with my balance problems no way...but would be cool to see how a Seger makes the transition! Be safe
Old 08-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #40
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

My issue with this device would be evasive maneuvering / emergency stops. On the segway there have been countless times I have needed to turn and/or stop quickly and accurately to avoid something unexpected. I can't see how this can be accomlished as effectively (or at all) with a solo/air wheel.

Tags
crash, onewheel, ouch, solowheel