SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #21
twowheels
twowheels is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

You can use screw extractors which will damage the screw but at least you'll get it out. Put a new one back in that will match the thread. I've had great success with reverse drill bits. Drill the middle of the head and it will back the screw out. A normal drill bit will tighten the screw down. Available at good hardware stores, industrial supply houses like Fastenal.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #22
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You can use screw extractors which will damage the screw but at least you'll get it out. Put a new one back in that will match the thread. I've had great success with reverse drill bits. Drill the middle of the head and it will back the screw out. A normal drill bit will tighten the screw down. Available at good hardware stores, industrial supply houses like Fastenal.
Do they make them that small?
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #23
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Do they make them that small?
Yes. For instance, http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bol...in-metal-index

The smallest one in that set is listed for M3-M4.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #24
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Have looked at the screws intently and there does not appear to be any substance in the screw. It appears that the screw is concave by design. I have tried drilling the screw and using an extractor but my drill bits broke and the extractors were too big for the tiny screws. I am efforting to acquire new drill bits and smaller extractors. Also, my Dealer suggested that a jeweler might be able to repair the faulty InfoKeys but I haven't gone that way yet.

It's a good thing that I have two (2) other working InfoKeys and seven (7) non working ones. Just trying to get as many to work as possible since they're $200+ and they all go bad at some point.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #25
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Thanks for the report.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #26
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Old thread I know, but maybe someone here can answer my question

Just picked up another I2 and the InfoKey has a non functioning button. The Information Display button (top right) feels like it's depressed all the time - It doesn't pop back out when you push it like the other three do. The key works and I can ride the Seg, but I can't tell how many miles are on it or access any of the other info that key provides

Is this 'user repairable'? Simple fix?

Thanks!

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:14 AM   #27
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Old thread I know, but maybe someone here can answer my question

Just picked up another I2 and the InfoKey has a non functioning button. The Information Display button (top right) feels like it's depressed all the time - It doesn't pop back out when you push it like the other three do. The key works and I can ride the Seg, but I can't tell how many miles are on it or access any of the other info that key provides

Is this 'user repairable'? Simple fix?

Thanks!

Don
I can't say it's user-repairable in all cases, but it was in mine. I had a similar problem, with the same button in fact. Here is what I did ...

I used a little acetone to remove the acrylic glue in the screwheads on the back of the Infokey. Not all will have it, but mine did... very carefully used the acetone to melt it and scrape it out. Then I was able to use my mini Torx bits to open the Infokey.

As it turns out, there's a small piece of metal between the main board of the Infokey and the button, which acts a spring. It was too far compressed. I used a very small pick from my random-working-on-electronics toolkit and bent that "spring" back out so the button was able to make contact with it again.

Closed it up and everything has been great since.

Fairly simple fix - the hardest part was getting the screws out. I didn't want to drip the acetone in a spot where it would take the silk screening off the plastic housing, or learn the hard way that the Infokey's plastic isn't acetone-resistant. I used a Q-Tip dipped in it to apply to the screwhead filler.

Good luck!! I'd do it in your shoes, especially if it's the backup Infokey.
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #28
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Well, I have a spare InfoKey which also needed a spring for the power button and since the Key on the one I just bought will start the machine and I can ride it, but I can't take it out of the beginner mode, nor can I see how many miles it has on it so . . . . I decided to send in my spare, get it fixed and reprogrammed to this 'new' Seg

Vince at www.texassegway.com does InfoKey repairs and reprogramming, so I sent it there and he got it back very quickly - $75 including insured shipping

The great news is . . . . now that I can finally read the odometer, my 'new to me' white 2007 Seg I2 has only 79 miles on it . . . . and I put a few of those on it

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #29
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Well, I have a spare InfoKey which also needed a spring for the power button and since the Key on the one I just bought will start the machine and I can ride it, but I can't take it out of the beginner mode, nor can I see how many miles it has on it so . . . . I decided to send in my spare, get it fixed and reprogrammed to this 'new' Seg

Vince at www.texassegway.com does InfoKey repairs and reprogramming, so I sent it there and he got it back very quickly - $75 including insured shipping

The great news is . . . . now that I can finally read the odometer, my 'new to me' white 2007 Seg I2 has only 79 miles on it . . . . and I put a few of those on it

Don
Oh yeah! You win ... 75 miles; she's just a pup!
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote