SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
Damont1982
Damont1982 is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default Rules/Regulations where I live

I just bought a segway minipro without thinking about whether or not they are allowed where I live. Does anybody know the illinois rules and regulations regarding these, or to be more specific, the champaign-urbana rules and regulations?
Damont1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damont1982 View Post
I just bought a segway minipro without thinking about whether or not they are allowed where I live. Does anybody know the illinois rules and regulations regarding these, or to be more specific, the champaign-urbana rules and regulations?
Good question....The original Segway company made sure it was ok in all 50 states....Now with the knockoffs and being bought out do the rules still apply?

I went to my local police dept years ago to make sure riding on sidewalks were ok....So Police would enforce the rules thats why I went straight to them.I am also legally disabled.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Segway surely tried to get Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device (EPAMD) laws passed in every state, but I do not think they were successful in all 50.

Here is the Illinois law (from the regulatory link at segway.com)

(625 ILCS 5/11-1005.1)
Sec. 11-1005.1. Electric personal assistive mobility devices. Every person operating an electric personal assistive mobility device upon a sidewalk or roadway has all the rights and is subject to all the duties applicable to a pedestrian. Nothing in this Section shall be deemed to limit or preempt the authority of any home rule or non-home rule unit of local government from regulating or prohibiting the use of electric personal assistive mobility devices.
(Source: P.A. 92-868, eff. 6-1-03.)

Note that it allows local communities to set their own rules, or even disallow the devices (apart from use by legally physically challenged people, where the federal ADA laws hold sway. Or used to... Under the current administration, who knows?)

The actual definition of an EPAMD is elsewhere in Illinois law, but since the law above is dated 2003, it's likely Segway had a part in this law. If so, it's likely that the definition is fairly standard; electric, two wheels, self-balancing, 12.5 MPH max. If the MiniPro fits the EPAMD definition, then it's legal in Illinois, where you have the rights and responsibilities of a pedestrian. (so probably no lights required?)

Regarding local laws, I'd call the Chambana police and ask.

Last edited by Civicsman; 08-27-2019 at 09:21 PM..
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The EPAMD/PMMD laws in the USA were designed around the original Segways. Some of those laws require that the device has handlebars.

Back then (in 2003) "motorized" things on the sidewalk were often scary and frowned upon.

That said, now (16 years later), people ride all sorts of electronic devices on the sidewalks (including e-bikes). Many of which are Ninebot-manufactured scooters.

Different cities have different policies, but there's a lot more tolerance now by default (of intolerance due to the actions of some scooter riders). It's probably best to consult a lawyer or your local city counsel or the police...whoever you think will give you the clarity you seek.

[I once called a lawyer to find out the situation in a city where I was staying, and he called the city administration and got me a written note which said Segways were legal; he didn't even charge me because he felt it was an educational exercise for him...cool guy.]
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote