SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
Scuba_Michael
Scuba_Michael is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Lightbulb Lights????

Ok......so I am going to be buying a light to use my Segway at night to get home from work.

What lights are you all using? Please tell me which light and why.

Thanks so much!!!

-Scuba_Michael
Scuba_Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Here are the lights I currently have mounted in the i2/x2 :

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3045.html
http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/lights/...-zone%E2%84%A2

The headlight is mounted on the front accessory bar, and the 2 tail lights are mounted on each cargo/lift bar. I didn't want the extra complications of separate external battery packs, so each of these lights runs off of internal rechargeable AA or AAA batteries.

And, just for fun, I bought one of these for the leansteer pivot hub:

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Self-...8603143&sr=8-1

I just removed the leansteer hub emblem, and the Dot-it magnetically sticks to the pivot inside. When I'm not using the light, it stays inside the hub and the emblem fits back in place over it. I clock the emblem 1 tang clockwise so the nubs don't engage with their holes and just press it back into the hub. The emblem is still very secure and flush in the hub, but is easy to remove the next time. The standard Dot-it isn't as bright as a real headlight, and doesn't direct the light as usefully as the upper headlight, but it makes a fun accent / accessory light. The swivel version, which can be aimed, might be more useful :

http://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-SYLVANIA...8603474&sr=8-5

Last edited by PeteInLongBeach; 02-24-2011 at 11:18 PM..
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
Scuba_Michael
Scuba_Michael is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New lights coming.....

Well I actually gave in and bought the Segway light off of eBay and was in an auto parts shop tonight and found some 12" strip LEDs. I am actually going to put those in the areas where the little reflective strip goes. Bought white for the front and red for the rear. Will post some pictures when I am done with mounting them. Thinking I am going to run them off of a small rechargeable 12V RC car battery unless I can find something better.
Scuba_Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I use a light when I go from my car in the parking to the building every work day at about 4:30 AM. I don't have lights on the Seg. I use one of those head mounted lights set on strobe. I usually have on a ball cap and the headband on the light fits right over the cap nicely. I also wear a small backpack to carry my lunch in and have a fenix LD20 flashlight that clips on that and is set to flash with a red bezel on it. The LD20 is a small high-powered LED flashlight, really high quality. I use that as a utililty light all the time, so I usually have it with me and just clip it to the pack on the way in. Since its just a 30 sec ride I just took that route. If I rode more in the dark, I would probably get some lights mounted. The flashing lights seem to get alot of attraction. Just another option.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Mamrax
Mamrax is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Headlight

I was using a niterider bike headlight that I paid $200 for. It crapped out and I bought a strap to your head light from Home Depot that was brighter for about $35. I modified it to mount on the leansteer. Looks great. For the rear I just clip on a flashing bike light to my clothing. For the times when there is no sidewalk and I have to glide in the street, I have multicolor flashing LED's installed in the rims and 10 LEDs in the leansteer.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I don't know where you purchased you NiteRider, but they will most likely fix it for you. I purchase all of my bike stuff from REI, 100% satisfaction guarantee. Yesterday I took in a 2 year old miNewt X2 and got a brand new X2-700 for only the difference.

I think the idea of a home depot light is great. I should look into that.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
julian46
julian46 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I recently added an Cygolite ExpiliOn 250 LED to my segway - 250 lumens - good price - mounts easily with included mount - all self contained (built in lithium battery) - charges from included USB charger or your laptop

three brightness settings in "bicycle mode" and strobe for daylight use
(even the lowest setting is bright enough for total dark gliding - when your eyes have adjusted - high mode is fantastic)

(lasts 3 to 10hrs)

picked mine up from mec.ca in Toronto

Julian
julian46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
ToyCollector
ToyCollector

5 yr Member
Default Lights I have known, sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Michael View Post
Ok......so I am going to be buying a light to use my Segway at night to get home from work.

What lights are you all using? Please tell me which light and why.

Thanks so much!!!

-Scuba_Michael
__________________________________________________ __

I have two of the original Segways.. right now they are resting because the battery packs died.
But I had one heck of a time riding them, and will again soon as I find a place to get reasonable batteries.

Back to the ride, when I first bought them, I rode in the daylight. I think I was/am the only one in town to have one because they really get the looks. People stopping and asking about them and such is a common occurance.

I started riding at night, and the first few times I used a flashlight to see. Some of the streets/sidewalks have no lights so its pitch black in darkness. My very first light was a bicycle light with regular tungstan bulbs. It worked but the beam pattern was not very focused for riding... They eventually stopped working. My very first experiment for better lighting was to put a 12vdc battery pack in the Seg handlebar bag, added a switch and mounted the head of a yard spot light below the handlebar. The bulb inside is a MR11, more commonly used for yard lighting and interior spot lighting, complete with reflector.....lolol, yup, it got really bright... CARS WOULD FLASH ME! In fact, I down graded to a 6vdc battery but I would still get cars flashing their headlights at me. This is because of the super reflector on the bulb.

I started getting concerned that the PO-lice may not like the fact that the light was bright enough to cause a problem to on coming traffic so I tried the led light that you wear on your head, it was reasonably bright, limited when compared to the MR11 but ok. I mounted this light under the handlebar with a red Bicycle light mounted low on the bar facing rearward. The light blazes between your feet.
The only problem with this head type light is the battery pack, used 3 AAA's and it was made in CHINA, cheap and subject to failure.

I currently picked up a bicycle light from AllelectronicsCorp ( May, 2012 limited supplies ) that has two reflectors of 4 LEDs. Uses three AAA's will come on normally or flash. It also has a rear red light with 7 programed flash patterns. It was really cheap ( you get what you pay for?? ) but it works fine. I use it on the bicycle right now and will put it on the Seg when I have the Batts renewed.

Which were best, Oh, the MR11 takes it all the way, lol Good strong beam with some sideways lighting... Maybe aiming it down a bit more would control the bright flash to on coming traffic..... The only way it could be better is if it had a dimmer on the 12vdc battery.
Yeah, the MR11 is more a home project but you can't ask for better lighting, lololol...