SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #51
TahoeJoe
TahoeJoe is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrington View Post
in this vid but you might get the idea...

https://wwwyoutubecom/watch?v=w6fT2OxN7Uw
This is going well, just wanted to add a few pics for anyone else wanting to do this. To put the replacement cells back in the sleeve:

1. Cut off the sleeves of the new replacement cells, slice with a razor down towards the negative side, then peel away using your fingers.

2. Push the replacement cells down into the sleeve using your thumbs. They push down fairly easily once the sleeves are off, and it's better to NOT use a hammer on the cells if you don't have too. Be sure to triple check you have the cell facing the proper direction, POS or NEG side must match the original layout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191020_153723.jpg (131.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20191020_153826.jpg (135.5 KB, 82 views)
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #52
agkirk
agkirk is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default More info needed

Thanks for the updates. I'm about ready to take my spare battery apart and your photos and dialogue have helped.
I originally tried to charge the battery using a CC power supply at 60V and 2.5 A. all seemed to go well but slowly. The next day the current had dropped to 0A and the voltage also to 0V. Have I done something to the BMS or does it self protect with some sort of fuse?
agkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:06 AM   #53
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

Im no expert, but from all that Ive read, and successfully bringing back 3 out of 4 batteries myself, This doesn't look good agkirk.

The charging method discussed here talks about charging to 60 Volts at 100ma, which is .1 Amps, not 2.5 Amps. Did you follow the pdf here?

https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=36096

Charging higher is not recommended as it would likely damage the cells. If there was any life left in those cells, I doubt there is anymore.. sorry man, it doesn't look good for that battery.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #54
cvhsquared
cvhsquared is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

After you have completed the rebuild of the cells how do you reattach the cells to the board without burning the circuits up? Do the cells need to be discharged and if so how do you accomplish this? Thanks

Quote:
hi..

right....

i take apart the case, use a heatgun on the back of the case until its really hot(don't spend too long in one spot) the cells either fall out when inverted or use a screwdriver to gently lever (picknthebpositive end of the cell, there is a compression ridge)

once apart I desolder the old cells (having first identified the bad groups), remove the nickel plates..(i just use side cutters and peel rather than rip the nickel strip off....carefully!..) where the bad cells are at and then gently drift the cell out of its sleeve!...easy peasy..no need to split the packs...keep the insulating rings from the positive ends of the cells and make sure you only apply pressure on the circumference of the cell....eventually you have a honeycomb of glued sleeves with no cells in...lol

if i'm keeping the cells I clean both ends with a file..do not short circuit or you'll damage the file!

I then push good sleeve-less cells back in where the bad ones were and reweld with nickel strip.

I try to get a feel for the other cells capacity and try to match as far as possible too.

reassemble the pack (carefull soldering)..charge fully and then capacity test.
(I have made a dummy load and can access the bms registers..the discharge process is automated and terminates automatically...the total capacity is recorded)

so far, worst rebuild is 67%, best is 95% of original.

If i have a really bad pack i cannibalise it for good cells..this is where the automatic machine comes in to play..I de-sleeve all the cells and place them in the machine 6 or 23 at a time..and return after a day or two.check the screen to see what each cell has achieved...

my machines are a jumble of wires and 3d printed parts but they do work..

I hope this is clearer?...
cvhsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #55
cvhsquared
cvhsquared is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

So I have replaced cell and have battery pack ready to solder to the board. How do I do this without burning it up? Lots of volts going through the BMC all of a sudden. I have the black and red jumper wires between the two battery packs but have not attached any of the wires to the board.
Quote:
hi..

right....

i take apart the case, use a heatgun on the back of the case until its really hot(don't spend too long in one spot) the cells either fall out when inverted or use a screwdriver to gently lever (picknthebpositive end of the cell, there is a compression ridge)

once apart I desolder the old cells (having first identified the bad groups), remove the nickel plates..(i just use side cutters and peel rather than rip the nickel strip off....carefully!..) where the bad cells are at and then gently drift the cell out of its sleeve!...easy peasy..no need to split the packs...keep the insulating rings from the positive ends of the cells and make sure you only apply pressure on the circumference of the cell....eventually you have a honeycomb of glued sleeves with no cells in...lol

if i'm keeping the cells I clean both ends with a file..do not short circuit or you'll damage the file!

I then push good sleeve-less cells back in where the bad ones were and reweld with nickel strip.

I try to get a feel for the other cells capacity and try to match as far as possible too.

reassemble the pack (carefull soldering)..charge fully and then capacity test.
(I have made a dummy load and can access the bms registers..the discharge process is automated and terminates automatically...the total capacity is recorded)

so far, worst rebuild is 67%, best is 95% of original.

If i have a really bad pack i cannibalise it for good cells..this is where the automatic machine comes in to play..I de-sleeve all the cells and place them in the machine 6 or 23 at a time..and return after a day or two.check the screen to see what each cell has achieved...

my machines are a jumble of wires and 3d printed parts but they do work..

I hope this is clearer?...
cvhsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:36 AM   #56
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

the last word from dorrington was..

Quote:
when you reassemble the pack, start with the big negative black wire and work your way around pole by pole until you get to the big red one.

DONT LET ANY WIRE TOUCH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE PLACE IT LIVES...AND IN ORDER.

do not solder on the board, remove the wires from the battery and solder them back in the board first

check, check and double check..if you get the polarity wrong at any point bms and / or segway will be destroyed!....

Im just about done replacing cells and about to re-assemble as well. If you can post some pics and tips of the reassemble cvhsquared, that would be awesome.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #57
matchlesspat
matchlesspat is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default what voltage needed for charger to work

What voltage do you need in X2SE battery packs for the internal charger to kick in? how close do both packs voltage to be to each other? I am trying to regen my battery packs right now,
matchlesspat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:45 AM   #58
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

If you follow the pdf here https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=36096

it suggests you charge each pack to 60V, then install the batteries back into your segway, and plug it into the wall to charge. 60V worked for me and others here. Not all batteries are recoverable. Good luck and follow the steps carefully in the pdf
Old 11-29-2019, 05:53 AM   #59
matchlesspat

3 yr Member

yup, we are following the PDF, well I don't trust myself to do it so I have given all four batteries to a friend, ex avionics engineer, general geek, now working as a lecturer in tech and electronics.... I am a good all round mender of things, welding, machining, metal bashing, I restore vintage and veteran motorcycles for a hobby, built my own house 30 years ago but the finer points of electronics............... if I need to rebuild one of the packs I will tackle that, good with a dremel and sikaflex,
Old 12-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #60
matchlesspat

3 yr Member
Default battery revival

Two of my batteries were found to be at 75v and 63v and two at 1.9v and 3.5v, the 75v was good, the two very low batteries came up to 70 volts using the method in the pdf, max 100ma, the 63 volt battery had fault codes and even when drained and recharged did not go above 63v, I have opened that battery and taken out the two cell blocks, one has 35v and one 23v, I am now looking to find the defective cells in that block,

and yes I have ridden one of the segways around my garden........