SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
Eric Payne

Default A Request: A Segway for Jeremy

We know Jeremy is in need of a Segway for mobility purposes, but because of a series of automobile accidents, is not in a position (right now) to afford one.

We know there are charitable people who are members of SC.

We also know there are people who are members of SC who, at one point, were charitable, but may now feel burned based on past charitable appeals.

I have no idea how many members of Segway Chat there are, nor do I know the financial situation of those members.

I do know, however, that there are several dealers who are members of Segway Chat.

Having said all that: I'd like to ask a dealer if it would be possible to make available to us, as a group, an i2 at cost, if the group is interested in, and contributing to, a "Get Jeremy Moving" pool.

And to make this completely fair for everyone, I'd enhance the suggestion further: While the pool would pay the cost of the i2, Jeremy himself would have to arrange for shipping.

If there's an interest in this, I'll even investigate what steps have to be gone through to make this pool a 501 (C)(3) which, if it could be done, would make those contributions tax-deductible.

Do any of our dealer members thinks this can be made workable? If so, is there an interest from our members?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I'm sorry, but isn't this what DRAFT does?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but only for veterans. I don't think Jeremy qualifies for that <G>.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

with all due respect to Jeremy, we know very little about his situation. He gets credit for his interest in obtaining a segway and for his enthusiasm. We have had similar situations in the past and once a number of us got together and purchased a segway for a chat member.

imo however, it is truly difficult to determine who is truly needy for a segway. I'm sure there are literally hundreds of people with need for a segway.

segway chat is not a charitable organization and in my case, that is why I donate to DRAFT.

"If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you"
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default I think we have been here before

First of all dealers can not really sell a Segway that is to be used for medical purposes, though I know it is done. It needs to be sold as a consumer product.

Second of all DRAFT does work with and for and is the big supporter of people using segs who have disablities. They do not provide segs for disabled people, but support those that do want to use them.

DRAFT's Segs4Vets program is a specific program (one that is in the spot light now) but is only for US military members who have been in the current conflits and have suffered their disability from that participation. So he does not fall in there, though I think he would find it very interesting to meet and spend time with some of those guys, who are his age and have similar disabilities.

That is why if he does come to SegwayFesT, it will be good for him, as he will meet others, both abled bodied and disabled users.

I know we are keeping an eye out for a good well priced unit for him, as well as others. They are always scarce, but they do show up now and then. And I know of only a few people who have ever been given a Segway. Even those who have won them have ended up having to pay something for them, like the taxes.

It's good he is still around this site!

Last edited by wwhopper; 02-10-2008 at 11:22 AM..
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

I too feel it is not a bad idea to see if we can help, but it does open a pandoras box, I believe that there are many worthy causes out there, and I am not able to help them all...

I have sent a number of emails on this topic. I do not see this as a bad adventure for the membership to consider at all. But, I realize that it is one issue among many.

Clearly, it is paramount in Jeremy's situation. I believe he needs to continue to do what he is doing, sharing his enthusiasm with us and other groups, and offer up his cause. As people get to know his on line persona, and get to meet him like at fest, then people will more easily be able to place a face with a need...

I would go in the direction of a i-167 however. I believe it to be the best mix of dependability and price. Face it, a reasonable 167 will be half the cost of a reasonable i2. Fashion is not the issue here, and neither is high speed transport (within the segway world, 12 mph is high speed and 4 mph is not.)

With those considerations, my suggestions would be that if anything, a simple fund for those who wish to contribute $10 or $20 bucks for a good cause.

THat is my thought. Eric, if you want to set it up, I'll send the first $25. Tell me where. (My suggestion is a simple paypal account, to make it easy for folks to get in, give a little, and get on their way)

Maybe, this way by fest he can have a used machine to go home with...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Eric Payne

This is completely my idea. In fact, I sent an e-mail to Jeremy asking he NOT post anything in this thread - I didn't want it to seem he was involved in this idea (which he is not), and I didn't want it to seem he may be doing the equivalent of standing on an electronic street-corner, begging.

So, let me redefine the parameters: Is there anyone - dealer or private person - who is thinking of, or in the process of, selling a Segway, either first- or second-generation, new or used who would be willing to hold that Segway for awhile, to determine if we, the membership, could pool resources for Jeremy.

If people recall, when Jeremy first appeared, and without Jeremy's knowledge, I investigated his claims as best I could - talking with the Madison (and surrounding areas) police forces, as well as the claims co-ordinator at Jeremy's attorneys' firm. I came back with just enough information to verify his claim(s), but not the the extent Jeremy had claimed, so I, publicly, stated I believed him to be a fraud.

Jeremy, almost immediately, responded to that post and unwittingly gave me even more information that, when followed-up upon, verified the majority of his statements.

And, at least for me, the final proof is that Jeremy didn't do what any con-man does once the con is exposed. Jeremy didn't simply vanish.

Not only did Jeremy NOT vanish, but in continuing to post, Jeremy inadvertently pissed off a couple of individuals I had been talking to, behind the scenes, concerning helping Jeremy get his own Glide.

Now (in re-reading my original post) I see I neglected to mention Bill and I are willing to put $50 toward this goal; with the inclusion of Karl, we now have $75 pledged... so, just about 1.53% for a new i2, or just under 5% for a used G1.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Cool Jeremy.

I will say this kid pissed me off so much in the beginning, I thought I would pull my hair out (and Pam in her infinate wisdom calmed me.)
Now I see there is a fund being put together to help his sorry soul. Tell ya what Im going to do. As long as Jeremy can stop shaking all the wrong hands, talking all the wrong talk, and stepping on the wrong feet every time he walks. I think I can hook him up with 1175.00 segway G1H, that includes shipping.
I can't promise it will be the best of the best, but it will be dynamic.
Take Erics advice and read more than you see. If people believe you can accent this community things happen. They always do.
Tony
Crash
p.s. ~you'll always be my play toy.

Last edited by Mr_Laurenzano; 02-10-2008 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Mr_Laurenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default This is what it takes to make Mr. L write normally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Laurenzano View Post
I will say this kid pissed me off so much in the beginning, I thought I would pull my hair out (and Pam in her infinate wisdom calmed me.)
Now I see there is a fund being put together to help his sorry soul. Tell ya what Im going to do. As long as Jeremy can stop shaking all the wrong hands, talking all the wrong talk, and stepping on the wrong feet every time he walks. I think I can hook him up with 1175.00 segway G1H, that includes shipping.
I can't promise it will be the best of the best, but it will be dynamic.
Take Erics advice and read more than you see. If people believe you can accent this community things happen. They always do.
Tony
Crash
p.s. ~you'll always be my play toy.

You gotta love this community!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default Add the geek in..

$50 from Brooklyn NY

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something right™

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote