SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Logik
Logik is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default *All* Target Stores to Allow Segway Soon

[This is a cross-post with draft.org. I wanted to make sure that people who may not frequent there see this as well]

I'm still in a daze. I can't believe I actually did this!

First, the letter:

Quote:
Dear Logik's Sister,

Thanks for your patience in this matter. We have contacted Logik and closed this
case.

I have followed up with the Dickson City Target store regarding the
accessability issue at the store. Information has been faxed from Accessability to follow up with team members in regards to the use of a segway in the stores. This will also be implemented in the near future in all stores nationwide going forward.

Team members involved have been addressed by the Store Trianing Lead and HR to address any issues. Again i apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We always welcome your feedback, so if we can assist you in the future, please contact our Target Guest Relations team at (800) 440-0680. You can also speak with a team member at the Guest Services Desk at your local Target store, or visit us on Target.com. Either way, we're here to help!

Thanks for shopping with us. I hope we'll see you again soon at Target.

Sincerely,

Adam
Target Guest Relations

Now the story:

The other night, I went to Target, to use my awesome transforming Transformers gift card (from my daughter for Father's Day). I was there about 30 minutes. From nowhere I hear: "You can't have that in here." I'd been in this store 2 or 3 times before in the last year. I had just come from Lowe's and Home Depot, both of which I frequent. I go in all the stores in the area with no trouble. I was stopped once in the mall around Christmas, asked if I had a medical need, and was left alone. Anyway, it was a young guy, employee. The abrupt statement took me completely by surprise. Still trying to form words, I just turned and pointed at the displayed placard (I have a copy of my parking placard, to make people aware). He mumbled: "Uh... Ok..." and left, reluctantly. A few minutes later: "We don't allow those in here." It was a woman. Looking up and seeing that she was walking toward me, from the kid, I figured: 1- She's a manager, 2-The kid had to have told her about the placard. Yet, she addressed me as if she just came upon a placard-less guy on a Segway. That fact pissed me off. Through most of the inquisition (you'll see), I literally couldn't speak. Completely forgot about my DRAFT rights card.

To keep the story from getting long... I told her I use it for mobility. She said again that they don't allow them. I just stared, dumbfounded. She asked if I was handicapped, unbelievingly... Then asked if I can't walk at all... Then noted that I have a cane, so I must be able to walk at least some... Then said again that they don't allow them... Followed up with a question as to whether I honestly need the Segway to get around... Followed with a question as to why I couldn't just use the cane, since Segways aren't allowed... Then clarified that they have a "no scooter" policy, explaining "Like the ones the kids have. You know. They try to bring them in." Then said they didn't want Segways in there because they can hurt people and literally said "...and we don't want you bumping into things." as she pointed at the shelf next to me. Then, she asked why I had the placard on. I said it was to make people aware that I'm handicapped. A bit snide, she asked "So... That's for this?" (pointing at the Segway) It's registered or something? That looks like a parking tag." I answered that the Segway wasn't registered and that it was indeed my parking placard. "But that's for your car. It's not for this. Why do you have it on this?" I explained that it was intended to let people know *why* I use the Segway. At various points, she waited for me, like I was going to say "Oh. Ok." and roll on out. I didn't budge.

Ultimately, after sputtering a bit and not expecting that I wouldn't budge (really, it was more because of the shock of the questioning as opposed to intentional defiance, heh), she explained that she guessed I could stay "...for now. But I'm going to have to call corporate" I just said: "Ok." Then she started the placard loop again. Then stated having to call corporate, again, twice, as she walked away, telling me to go back to what I was doing and to "just be careful". She didn't give any indication as to whether she'd be back and I could hear her a few aisles down, talking to other employees, going on about why I said I was using it, about the placard, and about calling corporate later (guess she was too busy).

After a 15 page txt to my wife, who was abroad, I left - dejected, embarassed, paranoid, indignified, and furious.

To summarize, 2 of my sisters wrote looong emails to Target Corporate that night. I wasn't aware. A few days later, planning to go in and speak with a/the general manager, someone suggested I call corporate. The first woman's voice sunk when I told her the tale and she gave a heart felt apology. She said she had to pass me up the chain. I spoke with another woman who was appalled. She assured me that she would contact the store before the day was out and file a report that would go both up the ladder and down, and she gave me a case number. She also explained that they *do* have a "no Segway" policy because of the max speed, but that stores can make independent exceptions to their policies. She said she couldn't see a reason why they wouldn't let me in if I went back and spoke with the "LOD (Lead On Duty)", essentially the shift manager (this included a discussion of the provided rascal things they have and my preference of the Segway, if for nothing other than the fact that it's easier for me). I was satisfied for the time being and figured we'd see where the next visit went. But...

I got a voicemail from Corporate today, as did 1 of my sisters, and the other got the email above:
  • The woman was turned over to HR
  • All of the employees in the store (stores?) will recieve mandatory training, with this incident as a case study
  • The Corporate Accessibility department has reviewed this case, redifined Segways to identify their possible, and valid handicapped mobility usage, and they're officially writing it into their corporate policy!

I can't believe it! Little ol' me (with some sibling support) got Target, the second largest retailer in the country, to change their Segway policy!! *faint* *thud*

There are probably people who haven't had problems with Target, but now you know you won't! Or, at least, shouldn't.

PS - You wouldn't believe the number of people telling me I should sue them. But I tell them this is a question of rights, not money. Doing so would cheapen the whole thing and give people yet another thing to roll their eyes at...
Old 08-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default See

The little mouse can move a mountain!

Good Job, on standing your ground. There is no reason that because of your lack of mobility, should you have to defend yourself to be able to spend money in their establishment.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
SegWayne
SegWayne will become famous soon enoughSegWayne will become famous soon enough

Location: On Grandparent tour, currently spoiling Grandchild in Texas
5 yr Member

Well done!! and yes I can belive the number of people that would tell you to sue.... cudos and points for taking the high road.........
Old 08-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
IcanGlide
IcanGlide is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hmmm.........very interesting. I have been in our new Target store and was never given a second look. I guess it depends on the mentality of the "one in charge." Now Wal-Mart........that was my "Target."

Frank
Old 08-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Thumbs up

Well done !

Be big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Logik,

Good for you, good job.

"May the bird of paradise fly up your nose..."

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks for taking the time to contact Target and also posting the results.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Target has my business

Let me add my voice to the throng...nice job! Please have your sisters contact DRAFT and give a blow by blow description of exactly what they did to get such a fast (and positive) response from their Target's corporate folks. At this point, I feel you folks should be giving seminars on how to mount a successful campaign to get Segways accepted by big retailers!

ps - If you get good at this, we may sic you on the Mouse....
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
DaveA
DaveA is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

FWIW, my local Target has always been courteous. They don't want me to ride in the store (s'okay, I'm not disabled), but they gladly allow me to park it behind the service counter where other customers aren't tempted to play with it.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I typically walk my Segway through Target in PA mode. I get some odd looks but I've never had any trouble.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote