SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default Time for a Change (Political Activism)

Some of you know me as an Activist. Some of you know me as a Rebel. Some of you just know me Well, no matter what call me, I am, most definitely, not one to sit back and watch so I've become a member of the Unity08 "party". Within the party I've also become part of the TrailBlazer program.

Now you can find out how much of an activist I am and I hope you can be part of changing our system. Go to http://www.unity08trailblazers.com/node/200 and read a tad bit more about what I'm doing to help improve our nation and politics. Then join our Trailblazer group (America Vista) and help all of us improve our country. You can also go to http://www.unity08.com/ for more information.

Come on, you can do it. No risk of Jury Duty (inside joke), no risk of having to put bumper stickers on your car (unless you want to), and you don't have to become a rabble-rouser like me if you don't want.

What are you waiting for. Go on, you know you want to. Join our TrailBlazer group and help us improve our country.

Steven

PS - Send this on to your friends, and your family. Invite them to join too.

Last edited by Desert_Seg; 06-22-2007 at 04:49 PM..
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I'll definitely check this out. Some of the teams definitely strike a chord with me.

-Sal
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Interesting.

However I read their stated goals and nothing seems to really go beyond being a third party. What would that third party actually stand for; just BEING a third party?

What is their platform; whatever they can get in an electable candidate, such as, perhaps, Bloomberg?

I'll admit that the current system is very, very broken, but change simply for change sake alone is not a good idea. Maybe you can point me in the direction of where and what they actually are thinking of changing.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

I'm with quade. I saw a lot of saying that the others are wrong, but not enough of why this is right...

I would like to read about the planks in the platform...

I voted for Perot the first time, before he went nuts. I was not so sure that he could do a great job, but I suspected he would dismantle the network that is there, and the next guy would seem great. Instead the broken system ran him down and squashed him...

I have been having a problem in finding anyone I like from column A or column B, but that does not mean I am ready to blindly vote for column C...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:35 AM   #5
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quade / Karl

One thing to remember is that while Unity08 may have goals we aren't yet ready to establish our platform. That will be done by US (the people) and not the candidates. So, as we select our candidates in early 2008 we will also present to them the crucial issues that we believe need to be addressed.

At present we aren't looking to form a permanent third party but it might happen (I believe it will). For now we are looking to take part in the election, bring new ideas and new leaders. All of us (regardless of your current party affiliation) share in the current political cesspool problem and we need to unite in order to make a change.

One big thing to note is that we believe that all platform issues can be divided into crucial or important issues.

- Crucial issues include National Debt, Global Terrorism, Health care and the like.

- Important issues include Abortion, Gun control, Gay Marriage and the like.

Unfortunately we elect our candidates based on where they stand on the important issues on not on the crucial issues and I, for one, think that approach has doomed us and lessened our global power.

Also, one thing we will change is the political reliance / debt to lobbyists. Unity08 will put forth a bipartisan ticket funded solely by small-dollar donations from you and me, everyday Americans. No more debt to lobbyists!

If you think the current political system is broken and that we need to fix it then Unity08 is the right choice. Don't sit back as time is short.

Steven
Old 06-23-2007, 03:18 AM   #6
ian purvis
ian purvis is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Quade / Karl

- Important issues include Abortion, Gun control, Gay Marriage and the like.

Steven
Hopefully the only reason Abortion and Gay Marriage are important is to move them to the Who Cares - It's None Of My Business category
ian purvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Default Interesting

Given the topics Steven has mentioned, it still sounds like primarily a conservative/Republican offshoot. Would it be considered more centrist (than the existing party which seems to have been taken over by religious fundamentalists) or more to the right of the existing Republican/Conservative party?
Just curious....
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Like some others, I agree that it does seem somewhat conservative politically, as Steven identified it...

For me, I am more of a nationalist than what was represented... I know that I am a citizen of the world, but I am a citizen of the United States first and foremost.

I saw no mention of National Priorities, Borders, security, human rights. I saw no mention of supporting American families, workers, those with special needs.

Politically, I suppose I should also mention that I am Jewish, and I have problems with antisemetic countries, and those who wish to destroy Israel, or support those who do.

In my fist mention of priorities, I mentioned Human Rights. I believe that everyone has the right to pursue happiness and freedom. That is very important to me. Democratic Republics are the only way to give people the power to control their own destiny. I believe that theocracies and Monarchies are no longer valid polical forms...

Some of this is more obvious than others... Clearly, the Taliban was a theocracy that is easy to identify. I don't particularly agree with entirety with Pam's statement about Religious Fundalmentalists taking over the Republican party, but she has a point (I do agree partially) and that is another form of theocracy that needs to be addressed.

On the other side, there are some on the extream left, that are just a zealous and dogmatic as any relegion.

There is an old concept, of government by the people, for the people. That works for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Desert_Seg

5 yr Member

Not conservative at all...nothing right now. I just posted points that tend to be in the forefront not everything that Unity08 stands for because, we stand for nothing yet.

The key point is that the issues need to be separated into those that affect the nation and the world, Human Rights, Global Warming, etc, and those, as Ian correctly put it, are PERSONAL issues that each individual has to answer for themselves.

Unity08 is not labeled as of yet. I believe we will be centrists, but the beauty is that we, the members of the party, will ultimately get to decide where we stand.

So, let's put our heads into this and make this a party that does more than just talk about our nation and our policies. We need a party that actually cares.

Steven

PS - Some say I'm a conservative liberal but others say I'm a liberal conservative. I'm not one who likes to be labeled (or can be) so let's just say that I do what I believe is right and have voted independent more often than not.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #10
KSagal

I believe in third party candidates. They have to be careful and choose their timing well. They are also in the race to win, but if not, they change the playing field anyway, and that can be very good.

In the case of Bloomberg, he needs to wait to declare. I will admit, I know nothing about him. But his personal attributes are not so important at this stage...

For a third party candidate to be successful in a particular race is different than creating a permanent third party. In a race, the 3rd candidate needs to position themself as an alternative to the the 2 front runners.

In this case, Bloomberg was a mayor of New York City. If the other two candidates are H. Clinton, and M. Romney as an example, he could be a centerist, and pick off conservative dems and liberal reps.

The race is very different if he runs against B.Obama and R. Guliani. This would make him the 2nd NYC mayor in the race, and he will naturally be compared to Rudi all the time, setting up for Obama to run away, or maybe even get marginalized. (I personally don't believe the latter)

In the second case, he would need to run against Guilani's liberal aspects that may make him weak in the Republican party, and against Obama's tenure, as he has not been an executive and has not made the big decisions yet.

All this is why there is no platform yet.

In a third party candidate race, the candidate makes a platform as the alternative to those who are running.

From what I see, that is the plan here.

IF there was a truely permanent third party building, it would have a platform, and be trying to attract like minded people.

Personally, I believe that both parties are so corrupt, and so steeped in their own power struggles that they are no longer competent.

It is a shame that the president's approval ratings are so low, but they are largely of his own making.

It is more a shame that the congress' approval ratings are even lower. THe press does not report it, but they are worse than the president.

That shows that the field is ripe to be plucked by the right candidate with the right message. I hope one comes along, because this 'ole'boy' network of two parities has let us down...