SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I am confused. Steven, are you saying you are a big engined car? I thought you were a segway dealer...
Who says a car can't be a dealer?

Ok, ok, I guess I wasn't clear enough....I have 2.5 cars (own two and just bought an F150 today but don't take delivery until next week). All have v8s, all suck gas.

But on the flip side I do have 11 Segways at my house!

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:21 AM   #12
seglander
seglander is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Segway CO2 emmisions based on Irish Electricity CO2 emmisons per MW of power equates to approx 16g/km travelled. If you are buying wind generated power in Ireland its 0g/km.

I have done the math for commercial clients in case I get asked the question, took a bit of reasearch to get the average electricity emmisions figures.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #13
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Who says a car can't be a dealer?

Ok, ok, I guess I wasn't clear enough....I have 2.5 cars (own two and just bought an F150 today but don't take delivery until next week). All have v8s, all suck gas.

But on the flip side I do have 11 Segways at my house!

Steven
½ the week: Segway i170
½ the week: Mustang 302 V8 4bbl

The Mustang sounds bad, emissionwise, but I get there in ½ the time it takes a Prius, lol.

Tim
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timezkware Tim View Post
½ the week: Segway i170
½ the week: Mustang 302 V8 4bbl

The Mustang sounds bad, emissionwise, but I get there in ½ the time it takes a Prius, lol.

Tim
3/5 of the travel - Segway
1/5 of the travel - X5
1/5 of the travel - 928

928 has the best sound and is running like a champ and, like you I can beat any Prius to the end line. Oh wait, there are no Prius here.

Steven
Old 05-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
...like you I can beat any Prius to the end line.
I'm not up on corporate relationships, is "end line" a subsidiary of shell or mobil?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #16
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

didn't I read somewhere that the carbon footprint of a prius (because of the zink in the batteries, among other things) is actually larger than the Porche, at the end line?...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #17
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
UAE prices range from $1.495 to $2.175 per gallon. It's cheaper in Saudi and Kuwait...much cheaper.
Wow, that sounds so late 80's and mid 90's here. Do they tax the heck out of it too? How much of the cost of gas at todays rate here is just tax? Would it be near yours Steven?

With all this recent explosion of gas prices, its hitting my household hard. Two years ago we moved out into the country and its at least five miles to any grocery and at least double or triple that to our works. What in the world is our government waiting for to start using OUR reserves? If they wait for the middle east to run out it will be too late for us because the inflation will eat us alive. Cheap gas after the middle east runs out isn't going to help us, it will just fatten up the rich here that are already rich. Gee, isn't Bush in the oil business. Go figure.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #18
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I'm pretty sure we're way off topic here, but since we are.....

Talk to your congressmen/women about refineries. Every year they seem to shut them down just before the summer driving season and hurricaine season for "maintenance". Bull Hocky!!! We don't have enough to start with and when they shut them down for "maintenance", the glut of gas goes away and the price goes up. Oh, and we have many times more folks driving now then we did 20 years ago, but we have a fraction of the refineing capacity we had then. See the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetmanKen View Post
Wow, that sounds so late 80's and mid 90's here. Do they tax the heck out of it too? How much of the cost of gas at todays rate here is just tax? Would it be near yours Steven?

With all this recent explosion of gas prices, its hitting my household hard. Two years ago we moved out into the country and its at least five miles to any grocery and at least double or triple that to our works. What in the world is our government waiting for to start using OUR reserves? If they wait for the middle east to run out it will be too late for us because the inflation will eat us alive. Cheap gas after the middle east runs out isn't going to help us, it will just fatten up the rich here that are already rich. Gee, isn't Bush in the oil business. Go figure.

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #19
Desert_Seg

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiter View Post
I'm pretty sure we're way off topic here, but since we are.....

Talk to your congressmen/women about refineries. Every year they seem to shut them down just before the summer driving season and hurricaine season for "maintenance". Bull Hocky!!! We don't have enough to start with and when they shut them down for "maintenance", the glut of gas goes away and the price goes up. Oh, and we have many times more folks driving now then we did 20 years ago, but we have a fraction of the refineing capacity we had then. See the picture?

Well, that's an oversimplification of the problem. To whit:

1. All reports I've read, including both government and independent analysts, say that the main reason for these shutdowns is the large number of refinery accidents that have recently happened, including a huge fire in Feb at the 170K per day plant in Texas.

2. Another reason for the large number of maintenance shutdowns this year is because this is the FIRST time the refineries have been able to shut down since Hurricane Katrina. Remember that these refineries have been working double and triple time since Katrina knocked many Gulf refineries off-line

3. Finally, these same refineries have had to face increasing regulations which have made it harder and more costly to refine and more complicate as refineries have had to add more equipment and steps into the process. In order to do this the refineries have expanded their facilities instead of building new units (cheaper and faster).

So, while it may seem like collusion and good planning, there are actually great reasons for the shut downs.

Steven
Old 05-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #20
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

This of course, doesn't address the question of why, given their huge profits, no new refineries have been built in the last - what - 30 years?
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote