SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
RAY-NER
RAY-NER is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Gasoline in California

If everyone owned a SEGWAY Model i2 as I do, they'd be travelling at the gasoline equivalent rate of 792 miles per gallon. SUV travel with only one driver going two or three miles on a simple errand is the biggest waste of money next to throwing it in the sewer. I'm getting 24 miles for a dime's worth of electricity to charge the battery. At $3.29.9 per gallon in California this morning (CHEVRON, OXNARD), the SEGWAY gets 792 miles per gallon. Beat that, Honda Hybrid! RAY-NER
Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default 5 miles a day on a Segway

I like the fact that I average about 5 miles a day.
That's 5 miles that I'm NOT doing in my car.

And with the mileage my car gets, I figured that's about 100 gallons of gas per year that I'm not buying.

And looking here: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/co2.shtml

I figured I'm directly NOT putting about 2000LBS of CO2 into the air every year.

Granted, a portion of my CO2 is shifted to a power plant, but I'll let somone else do the math.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default CO2 emissions and safety

cmonkey, I imagine the amount of CO2 generated to move 300 pounds 5 miles electrically is substantially less than the CO2 generated to move 2500 pounds 5 miles via internal combustion. Besides, your electricity may come from wind power or nuclear. I was amazed to see that only 1% of my electricity up here in Sac comes from coal (though 24% did come from natural gas so I'm not that green)!

Now as to safety, I think both cmonkey and rayner have both missed the important lesson that the authorities in Peachtree City, GA are trying to convey to us. The folks down there understand that you don't have to move 2500 pounds of metal around to do simple errands. They want to do the same thing with less mass. But they also want to be safe. So they settled on golf carts that weigh 500 pounds. And see, while golf carts are light, they still afford some protection. Have you seen the golf cart vs brick wall safety videos? Sure the people are a little banged up, but they walked away from head on collision.

See the segway is only 80 pounds...no safety. Did you see the segway vs brick wall video? Oh wait, that's right. The segway rider just steered around it. And then later in the video, the segway rider steered around the out of control golf cart driven by the drunk guy. And then towards the end of that safety video, the segway rider came to a screeching halt in only 2.78 feet when that kid ran out in front of him unexpectedly.

Hmmm....maybe Peachtree City, GA officials need to reconsider this safety issue with the segway, eh? 8^) 8^) 8^) Some one needs to explain to them IT ISN'T A GOLF CART...it's better!
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Somebody please shoot me dept:

Yesterday on Pico Blvd in Beverly Hills I went to a Chevron station and paid 3.99 for high test (91 octane). My 20 gallon tank was already full before I noticed the price.

Tim
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default boo hoo

I'm glad my little 'weekender' only has a 12gal tank, cuz it likes to eat 100 octane fuel, and last time I looked, it was $7/gal.
I don't drive it much.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Hwy1Glider
Hwy1Glider is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Evidence mounts that the "sheeple" need to be slapped in the face before recognizing the reality of our shared situation. I see the increasing price of fuel as stronger incentive for more people to understand and, literally, buy into the wonderful world of gliding.

Question for my european friends: what's the current price of fuel in your area? If and when the US price reaches those levels, I believe you'll see many more lightbulbs over the heads of our neighbors.

Oh, and the price for a gallon of 100LL avgas at a recent stop in Oakland: $4.90. Let's see...if the tanks hold a little over 80 gallons of usable fuel...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Socrates
Socrates is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Well, some European prices....
Today in Austria 1 gallon 95octane fuel costs 5.672 USD and 1 gallon 98octane fuel is at 6.185 USD and 1 gallon diesel is at 4.895 USD.

At the moment I don't know the rates of electricity.

Alex.
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
Well, some European prices....
Today in Austria 1 gallon 95octane fuel costs 5.672 USD and 1 gallon 98octane fuel is at 6.185 USD and 1 gallon diesel is at 4.895 USD.

At the moment I don't know the rates of electricity.

Alex.
UAE prices range from $1.495 to $2.175 per gallon. It's cheaper in Saudi and Kuwait...much cheaper.

This is why there are lots of big engined cars on the roads here (myself included, unfortunately).

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
UAE prices range from $1.495 to $2.175 per gallon. It's cheaper in Saudi and Kuwait...much cheaper.

This is why there are lots of big engined cars on the roads here (myself included, unfortunately).

Steven

Well you need a big engine to run that A/C, right?

Here's a picture I took on sunday.

hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post

Steven

I am confused. Steven, are you saying you are a big engined car? I thought you were a segway dealer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote