SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:10 PM   #21
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMullins View Post
Do not drain the batteries down. I gave you a starting point. The voltage reading you are taking is the “resting” voltage of the battery. Once a load is placed on them the voltage will drop based on charge level and there is no way for you to monitor a battery like that unless you have the proper equipment that places a simulated load on the batteries while it is OFF the unit.

Disclosure- I am Level III trained in Segway PT repairs, and I repair 200+ units per year. Some repairs are straight forward, but yours will take a bit of time to R/O what component may be the root cause.
Thank you again for your guidance! I'm going to wait until we speak with Segway Inc at this point to do anything further; this unit is new to me, and the seller has agreed to either replace what's broken, or the entire unit, based on what Segway Inc says. They've been nothing but pleasant and responsive, but given that I'm located about halfway between the seller and Inc in NH, doing what I can to diagnose up front and minimizing shipping (and shipping costs!) is prudent.

Again, really really appreciate your guidance - the rest of the unit seems solid and I can't wait to get it to 100% health so I can enjoy many years of fun with it!
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #22
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I take it the last time you rode your SE you came back and plugged it in and you haven't ridden it very far since then because you don't have blinking green lights?

Rather than run the batteries down to where the machine shuts off, I think I would take it for a 4 or 5 mile glide, check the voltage again then before you plug it in and then again after a few hours on the charger. Your voltage should go down below 75 after the ride and then back up again after the charge if the charger is working at all

But, the fact that your lights never blink green says (to me at least) that you're going to need to have it looked at by a professional who can change the part which is causing that problem

For reference if it helps you any - I have three spare batteries, all around 8 or 10 years old which are not currently on any machine and haven't been recharged for 6 or 8 months (I don't have an off board charger) and I just checked them. One is 75.1, one is 75.2 and the last one is 75.3. I consider those to be nearly fully charged - I know I can put any two of them on a Seg and ride it 10 or 15 miles because I've done it before

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #23
dmurphy

5 yr Member

So the next step in troubleshooting per INC is to swap in another set of batteries and examine the behavior.... likelihood is a bad charging board but we shall see.

Unfortunately... I don't have another set of batteries, so we're going to ship the entire unit back to the seller, and they will troubleshoot and either repair this one or replace it with another unit. Either way I'll be good to go soon.

Curious what the final result will be - my $5 is on a bad power board, but we shall find out!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #24
dmurphy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMullins View Post
Here is how I would proceed with this repair in our shop. Based on what you are describing there are 3 components that I would focus on with the SE model, in the following order:
Power Board- likely the issue
Radio Board- possible
AC Input Filter- very rare
Bingo! You nailed it. Thanks for the diagnosis!

It's at the dealer now and we're waiting for the replacement power board. Once it comes in next week, they'll button it up and send it back so I can get started in earnest. At least, if the weather cooperates that is!

Other than the charging circuit, they said the Segway itself is in good shape; just a bum power supply board (they called it a BCA - does that make sense?)

So hopefully this'll be all set by next week and I'll be off to the races. Which is good because I've got some accessories to install (headlight, key holder, etc.) - and a set of comfort mats on the way.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:17 AM   #25
dmurphy

5 yr Member

Well, just closing the loop here ... received the i2 SE back last night and ... all is perfect! It runs like a top. Charges perfectly. Everything is great!!

Now all I need is some cooperative weather and I can’t wait to get out and enjoy a nice long ride. The unit seems like it’s in great shape - batteries are good, strong, and everything runs wonderfully.

Can’t wait to get out and explore.