SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member
Default i2 with knobbies vs x2

Hello!

I am trying to decide if I want to venture off-road with a Segway. I currently have a pair of i2s. One of them is my "commuter." The other is the back-up/extra machine that is virtually new. A friend of mine recently got an x2 that he uses to explore hiking trails and areas around the foothills of the mountains here in Albuquerque. I've been trying to decide if I should try to get my mitts on an x2 so that I can do a little of the same. The thing is, I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't glide hiking trails too often. Part of me wonders if I would be better served by adding some more aggressive tires to my i2 and giving that a shot. An x2 would really only be good for trails, but an i2 with meaty tires could still be used on streets and less "adventurous" terrrain.

I'm definitely leaning more toward putting tires on my i2, but I'm wondering if it's even worth the trouble. Would an i2 be hopeless on dry trails that have loose rocks? It seems like the narrower profile would almost make it more maneuverable than an x2, but it wouldn't roll over stuff quite as easily, either. His x2 is set up with a seat (as he is paraplegic.) Otherwise, I'd give it a try and see how it does. I did take it for a quick spin before we started building the seat. It seemed to float right over stuff. When it comes to hiking trails, is it an x2 or nothing?
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

We lived in Santa Fe for a number of years. We had dirt roads, as well as the terrain you mentioned. We started with XTs, and then "graduated" to X2s. I don't think I would be comfortable on dirt roads at any substantial speed, with an I2 with "aggressive tires".

Besides the obious difference, the X2 (and Xt) use low tire pressure which works well with rocky and sandy terrain.

Just my opinion, based on no personal experience with a modified I2.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

I don't have personal experience with this, but I seem to recall more than one post here about "converted" I2s. There is apparently a small difference in the control system (X2 is a little slower to respond, I think), but almost everything else (motors, circuit boards, etc.) is shared between the I2 and X2. If you got bigger/softer/knobbier tires for the I2, it should be OK for the intermediate use that you desire. You might get a second set of wheels to mount the new tires on, and you'll have to remove the I2 fenders if you get much bigger tires.

Try contacting Segway Chat member KSagal with a private message. He has a lot of experience in modifying Segs.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:24 AM   #4
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

I believe the programming/firmware in the x2 is a little different, as well. Don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall reading that the x2 has a higher torque limit since they have to turn those big tires over difficult terrain. They also have that extra beefy steering column!

I would think that the x2 would be far smoother all around, but I wonder if the sacrifice in maneuverability is worth the trade-off. If I happen upon a smoking deal on an x2, I might jump on it. However, I don't think I want to trade my 2nd i2 for one. I'll try the knobbies on the i2 until an x2 falls in my lap. Thank you for the input!
Old 11-23-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think if you buy the real X2 tires and fenders you'll do just fine. Shouldn't take more than half an hour to change from one to the other or back again

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:32 PM   #6
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default IRC Urban Snow

When my original stock i2 tires balded I swapped out for IRC Urban Snow, purchased from Segway of Central Florida. They were installed by my local dealer and are great for hiking trails and smooth enough for everyday. I love them!
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:31 AM   #7
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post
When my original stock i2 tires balded I swapped out for IRC Urban Snow, purchased from Segway of Central Florida. They were installed by my local dealer and are great for hiking trails and smooth enough for everyday. I love them!
Those tires are nice, but they are pretty spendy. In looking around, there are quite a few options for 2.50-14 tires with not-too-aggressive tread, and they are MUCH cheaper. I'll probably give some of those options a try.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:23 AM   #8
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I have "converted" both ways.

Personally, if you don't mind the fairly occasional safety slowdown from bumpy terrain on an i-X conversion, it's actually not bad.

Going from X-i is a little more troublesome, as, the X series is programmed to slow down rather significantly on almost any decline, and although it's done for a reason, it's also very unsafe on a X-i conversion, as you'll have limited speed in some possibly unsafe situations.

I would almost always go for an i2 to X2 conversion.

Good luck, New Mexico is very beautiful and has wonderful trails!

-Tritium
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:13 PM   #9
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
I have "converted" both ways.

Personally, if you don't mind the fairly occasional safety slowdown from bumpy terrain on an i-X conversion, it's actually not bad.

Going from X-i is a little more troublesome, as, the X series is programmed to slow down rather significantly on almost any decline, and although it's done for a reason, it's also very unsafe on a X-i conversion, as you'll have limited speed in some possibly unsafe situations.

I would almost always go for an i2 to X2 conversion.

Good luck, New Mexico is very beautiful and has wonderful trails!

-Tritium
That is some very valuable insight. Thank you taking time to explain it! I actually sprang for a set of x2 wheels that Segway of Ohio (GREAT retailer) had on "cyber special." So, I'll have a beach-worthy machine that is ready to roll over just about anything. I'll probably get a set of cheapo 14-inch knobbies to put on the stock rims. That way, between my two machines, I'll have all bases covered.

I knew there was some programming differences between the i2 and x2, but I didn't realize that it's sort of a "one-way" street. A friend of mine has an x2, and I think he once mentioned putting i2 wheels on it. I'll pass along this info. What triggers the safety slow-down when running x2 wheels on an i2 machine? Just bumpy surfaces? Will an i2 with x2 wheels have more "oomph" when going up inclines? If I understand what you're saying correctly, the x2 is programmed to slow down on inclines. I assume that is to accommodate for the bigger wheels. I thought that the i2 with x2 wheels would be the one to slow down on inclines as the system was sensing too much current draw at the motors. I assumed that an x2 is programmed to expect to see more current draw as a normal situation. Sounds like I had it backwards!
Old 11-27-2016, 11:19 PM   #10
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default i2 with knobbies vs x2

Hi, bumps and loss of traction trigger the safety slowdown on an i2 far more easily than an X2.

Since X wheels are larger and heavier than i wheels, you'll not have as much power on inclines if you are running them on an i, but you'll have 1-2MPH more speed due to the diameter.

On the X, you'll have a bit more oomf when running i wheels because they're so much lighter and smaller in diameter.

The incline slowdown is due to the fact that the X series was made for sporting, not commuting, and therefore, if you start going down a gravel/dirt hill too fast, your PT could potentially lose contact, be rendered uncontrollable, and eventually lead to a crash.

Also, congratulations on picking those up while they were on sale!

Cheers!

-Tritium
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote