SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Different ways of thinking

Thinking has its place and purpose, of course. But there are actually different levels or qualities of such: identification, association, differentiation.

Identification is the lowest: e.g. "Steve Jobs is the Devil!"; "Macs are too expensive!"; "Segways are toys!"; etc. Rather irrational, no?

Association is better: e.g. "Red is a warm color."; "Blue is a cool color."; "Pink is for girls."; "That guy owns a Segway. He must be rich."; etc. More on the order of opinions than of facts.

Differentiation is the highest: e.g. "Sodium is poisonous to humans; Sodium chloride is NOT!"; "He LOOKS Chinese, but he's over six feet tall and speaks with a Russian accent. He's Khazakstani."; "He rides a Segway around town all the time. Some say he's lazy. Some say he must be rich. But he actually had a bit of a hard time keeping up with the payments on it. And he's been saving a lot of money over the years by gliding instead of driving and covering the expenses of his second car, which he got rid of when he got the Segway."

We had a conversation with an acquaintance in town in which he told us that he always thought we were rich, didn't have to work, and just glided around town for fun. It's ironic that the fact that a person is more visible while gliding and usually relaxed and smiling seems to equate with being rich and idle.

We of course brought him up to speed on the facts.

This got me to realizing just how much idle, stupid "thought" there is still swimming around out in the world--about not only Segways, but so many other subjects!

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

OF the seven deadly sins, Sloth is often my personal demon.

But I am not alone. People are lazy in thought often enough as well. All too often the headline author is far more read than the article writer. The quick lazy thought is dominant, the considered and measured thought is less common, and frequently missing.

I find it interesting how many jump to a conclusion that a person on a segway is lazy, and this is often uttered by people in cars, where they do not consider themselves lazy.

I understand Dan's considerations on thoughts and conclusions, but many times those considerations are too short, and those conclusions are ill conceived because there is precious little fact finding included.

So be it. The world changes, but it does it slowly most of the time. Toys, and labor saving devices do make big impacts from time to time, but changing thought processes, and human nature takes much longer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
OF the seven deadly sins, Sloth is often my personal demon.

But I am not alone. People are lazy in thought often enough as well. All too often the headline author is far more read than the article writer. The quick lazy thought is dominant, the considered and measured thought is less common, and frequently missing.

I find it interesting how many jump to a conclusion that a person on a segway is lazy, and this is often uttered by people in cars, where they do not consider themselves lazy.

I understand Dan's considerations on thoughts and conclusions, but many times those considerations are too short, and those conclusions are ill conceived because there is precious little fact finding included.

So be it. The world changes, but it does it slowly most of the time. Toys, and labor saving devices do make big impacts from time to time, but changing thought processes, and human nature takes much longer...
I was in at the Missouri Conservation department's Springfield nature center yesterday. ( Some of you will remember that I have been battling the MDC for three years now on the subject of Segways and their permit system. My DOJ complaint about their year old permit requirements has never been responded to and I will have to get around to complaining about that-- again!)

The Center now has a new sign at the top of their trail system: Only the disabled may use a motorized vehicle; special permit required. It is obviously their response to the ADA 2010 changes. Well, that is a step forward--I think.

But what if I are a new power wheelchair user? Does that apply to me--I am not a vehicle but I have a motor... I am a Segway user and am not a vehicle--but I have a motor. Confusing as all get out! (at least if you think like I do. <G>) The wheelchair doesn't require a permit--but I do. That is confusing too--even if I am familiar with the law. It would have been so simple to add something like-powered wheelchairs and Segways ARE permitted. And as for the permit (which is illegal on several counts) if they are willing to offer me a permit they have already determined that it is safe--so why require a permit? Their logic escapes me.

I spent more than half an hour talking with some of their staff after seeing that. They are equally confused--actually they only do what the state MDC's legal department tells them-- no explanations offfered and no leeway for interpretation. In fact, only the maintenance man who was in on the discussion knew there were new signs! Talk about control freaks...

I have no problem at all with the local staff who have been as helpful as they are allowed to be--and have no intention of classifying a power wheelchair as a motorized vehicle! At least now they are better prepared if the question ever comes up again...

One very small step at a time...
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

I enjoy the fact, or assumption, that because I ride a Segway, that I'm rich. What they don't know won't hurt them, right? : ) What they also don't know, is that it needs new batteries and that I can't afford to buy them. But, I'll dwell in my own fantasy till someone tries to bring me down out of it. Let them think I'm lazy. My wife calls me lazy, but she only catches me while I'm relaxing. : ) Who cares, as long as I'm enjoying my glide.

So what kind of thinking is this? Identification, Association or Differentiation?

Last edited by GadgetmanKen; 02-02-2012 at 01:19 PM..
GadgetmanKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetmanKen View Post
I enjoy the fact, or assumption, that because I ride a Segway, that I'm rich. What they don't know won't hurt them, right? : ) What they also don't know, is that it needs new batteries and that I can't afford to buy them. But, I'll dwell in my own fantasy till someone tries to bring me down out of it. Let them think I'm lazy. My wife calls me lazy, but she only catches me while I'm relaxing. : ) Who cares, as long as I'm enjoying my glide.

So what kind of thinking is this? Identification, Association or Differentiation?
Well, Ken, first of all, I feel your pain! We've been waiting to afford new batteries ourselves and are long-overdue for four new ones! Thankfully, most of my daily glides are well within my reduced range due to worn originals. Second of all, I'd say you're thinking "differentiatively" enough from your symbiotes to keep you up with the best thinkers! ;-)

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 02-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
. . .I am a Segway user and am not a vehicle--but I have a motor. . .
This is the way I look at it: in Florida statute 316.003:

Quote:
(21) MOTOR VEHICLE.—Any self-propelled vehicle not operated upon rails or guideway, but not including any bicycle, motorized scooter, electric personal assistive mobility device, or moped.
Quote:
(75) VEHICLE.—Every device, in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.
EPAMDs are not allowed on highways.

Quote:
(83) ELECTRIC PERSONAL ASSISTIVE MOBILITY DEVICE.—Any self-balancing, two-nontandem-wheeled device, designed to transport only one person, with an electric propulsion system with average power of 750 watts (1 horsepower), the maximum speed of which, on a paved level surface when powered solely by such a propulsion system while being ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 miles per hour. Electric personal assistive mobility devices are not vehicles as defined in this section.
Nota bene the last sentence in the above quote. If EPAMDs are not vehicles, logically, they are ALSO not motor or motorized vehicles. It's simple common semantics.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 02-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
BringOnI2
BringOnI2 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

It's definitely a time when dealing with incorrect "majority" opinions/stereotypes that the law has a place in rectifying. Without it there would be more mob mentality determining the fate of things.

I like lawmakers who see this very early on, like France who was one of the first to allow Segways on footpaths, and now they are the first to fine Google for flooding the online maps market with a free product, only to turn around and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars to developers to use their API once they have a monopoly on the market.

Vive La France! A very happy day for French citizens
BringOnI2 is offline   Reply With Quote