SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
dave
dave is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Loading a Segway I2 SE into a trunk

I am considering buying a car that is not a hatchback, a sedan that has a trunk that i cannot use the ramps to place the Segway into the trunk. Has anyone else devised a way of loading a Segway into such a trunk? Such as a portable hoist? Or a platform in the trunk that would life the base on to the ramp?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:38 AM   #2
Steve807
Steve807 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I am watching this thread with great interest because I have the exact same situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

So, I've managed to load my Segway into my trunk by 1) Removing the leansteer bar; and 2) lifting by the lower cargo frames ... these guys: https://www.segwayunlimited.com/prod...ames-set-of-2/

It's heavy, but doable.
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:09 AM   #4
snapbean
snapbean is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Does the car have a receiver hitch? If so you can get a platform that fits right into it with a fold down ramp. I bought two older Sarix carriers off ebay for about $150 each and built a double Segway carrier.
snapbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The 'secret' is to install cargo bars on the Seg - Then they are easy to pick up by one or two people. Depending on the car, you may need to take the lean steer off completely and if this is the case, Seg makes a kit which allows you to remove and reinstall it quickly without any tools. It uses a cam and a lever to tighten the bolt. If your trunk isn't too small, you might just need to remove the upper half of the lean steer, which is even quicker and easier to do. We've used this method most all the time, but I do have the lever action bolt on one of my three Segs and have removed the complete lean steer several times. Picking up a Seg without the cargo bars is darned near impossible, so three sets of cargo bars were among our first purchases and boy, what a difference they make!

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Have you considered buying a TriLift?

Have you considered buying a TriLift? This is an electrically operated power lift that attaches to your tow bar. It is a bit like a bike rack for your Segway PT, but electrically raises it and locks it into place.

The TriLift is mostly used for mobility scooters, but they make (or have made) an adaptor for the Segway PT. Or someone could make one for you quite easily.

The following video clip is slow and loud but it shows how it works:

Old 02-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #7
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile

I tried to figure out how to do this for quite a while and haven't figured out a way to easily get it in and out of the trunk. Also when traveling I wanted to keep the trunk accessible for luggage or groceries, etc.

I've been using Segways as a mobility device for about 10 years.

The only advice I can give is that putting a lift onto the back of a small car didn't work for me. I put a Segavator onto the back of a 1999 Toyota Avalon. It was more weight than the rear springs could handle. After hitting the bottom of the Segavator on the pavement numerous times, it jammed the screw actuator for the lift several times and finally locked it up hard enough that when I manually tried to unlock it it stripped the screw mechanism, ruining the lift. ( If anyone wants the a Segavator for parts I will give you mine. I'm off I-85 in South Carolina. I won't ship, you need to come pick it up. )

I couldn't find any kind of helper springs/airbags that would allow the car to handle the weight.

The only solution I could come up with is a Bruno Chariot:
https://www.bruno.com/scooter-lifts/chariot
The bad thing is they retail for about $3500!!!

I spent about a year looking for a used one on Craigslist and finally found one about 6 hours away for $650. You will have to put a hitch on the back of your car for another couple hundred dollars and run a wire to the battery for the higher current to run the lift up and down.

The advantage of the Chariot is that with the Segway or other handicap scooter in the lifted position it only puts about 20 pounds of weight on the trailer hitch. Also backing the swivel wheel trailer is easy. My wife can't back a regular trailer but the Chariot follows the car naturally. I attached a wedge shaped box to the platform and use the straps that came with the Chariot to strap the Segway down and a small rope to keep the steering column from flopping around.

I'm on my 3rd Segway and 2nd car with this setup and am still pleased with it. I've probably got 4000 miles on it.

I do use a regular handicap lift on the back of my old pickup truck for short local running around.

I'm sure you could design and build a platform to fit into the trunk that would hold the Segway up high in the trunk. You would have to keep the trunk lid open if you didn't want to lift the Segway and have the platform almost even with the top of the trunk. There just isn't much in the way of crane/lifts that can fold up so you can take it and the ramps with you in a car with a trunk.

While typing this I wondered if you could make a light weight crane that plugged into a 1 1/4" receiver trailer hitch. It would probably need to be pretty high to lift the Segway over the trunk lip and might need to fold in half. It would be difficult, probably expensive to get made but doable.

I don't come onto Segway Chat often so it may be awhile to respond to any questions that anyone may have. I apologize.
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #8
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

How about something like this adapted to mount onto a trailer hitch and use posts that slip into one another to make it high enough to get over the trunk lift.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...nch-61522.html

You could weld/mount it to a modified hitch mount like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/ball-m...nch+ball+hitch

with a mounting plate welded to it. I wouldn't want to pick up much weight with it.

Don't rely on any of this to make something without seeking professional help. I don't want to be responsible for any kind of accident.
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default 'seghauler'

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davis_...7651617930416/

a 'hitch haul' rack and a couple of wood ramps and a couple of webbed motorcycle straps and you're good to go.

Many local U-Hauls can install a hitch for you if you do not have one

or this... Bruno 'curb-sider' lift https://www.bruno.com/scooter-lifts/curb-sider

Last edited by dudeman1961; 02-19-2020 at 01:56 PM..
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote