SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
JPTL
JPTL is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question New to me Segways - many questions!

A generous friend just gave me a matching pair of Segways that have been sitting unused for several years.
I don't know the specifics of them as there's no immediately identifiable model number, etc. They look like the Segway pictured here: (oops. can't post pictures yet).
So I'll go on the assumption that they're i170s.
Where to start?
I assume that I should start with identifying the model of the SW's and the batteries.
Because they've been in storage for years without periodic charging, I assume that I'll have battery issues. Are the batteries recoverable like discussed in thread 26078 (can't post links either)
The PO mentioned some kind of recall or update. How do I look into that?
Thanks!
JP
JPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:48 PM   #2
JPTL

5 yr Member

I'm not able to edit my post above, so I'll amend it here:
It's an HT with NiMh batteries. The batteries seem to be original, as the code numbers are close.
Any thoughts on reviving these batteries - cycling, swapping front w/back, etc?
One was showing 41v immediately after a charge. Maybe that's a bad reading, but could this be a salvageable battery?
Any thoughts, experiences, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'm not finding a wealth of info. on these HTs...
Old 03-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Bigpond
Bigpond is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

If you search the archives of this forum there is a mine of information!

40V is a decent terminal voltage but you'll probably find they are still useless under load given the years of neglect.

MTO Battery is your friend in this situation. They will rebuild a set of NiMH batteries for around $700.
Bigpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
JPTL

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpond View Post
If you search the archives of this forum there is a mine of information!

40V is a decent terminal voltage but you'll probably find they are still useless under load given the years of neglect.

MTO Battery is your friend in this situation. They will rebuild a set of NiMH batteries for around $700.
Thanks Bigpond. Getting these Segways has forced me to learn more about NiMH battery characteristics and how time in a deeply discharged state is their enemy.
I did speak with Jason at MTO, and consistent with what everyone says in this forum, MTO seems to be a knowledgeable and professional company, and one of the only options for guaranteed NiMH battery rebuilding here in the states.
Considering that I have no way to test the working condition of these Segways, having the batteries rebuilt would be a gamble.
I suppose it's just a matter of economics at this point. Is an i167 with a set of new, guaranteed batteries worth $660?
On a somewhat related topic, does anybody know what the software update for the HT is for? I think I read somewhere that it was so that they'd be compatible with lithium batteries. Can anyone confirm?
Old 03-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Smile Software versions.

Hi

Yes, you are corrrect.
Early i167 units were compatible with NiMH batteries only.
Later ( or software updated )i167 units were compatible with both the lower capacity NIMH AND the higher capacity Li-ion batteries.

When the Segway shuts down it briefly displays an icon, which tells you which software version is fitted. Great if the batteries are good.

If and when a software update was performed, a round Segway sticker should have been affixed to the chassis.

Good luck.
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
seggystuff
seggystuff is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default owner

make sure they are not I2s
seggystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggystuff View Post
make sure they are not I2s
The fact that they came with NiMH batteries is a pretty good clue

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Probably as good as they day they were made

Assuming you have a couple of HT i170s, there is a very, very good chance than one or both units are still operational. There is also a good chance they've had their software upgraded so they can use Lithium battery packs. As Michael said, if they have they should have a circular, yellow 'Flyguy' Segway logo stuck to the cover plate, visible when you lift off the grey foot mat.

The NiMH packs were manufactured at least 13 years agp, and will not be able to power the machine, sorry.

If I were you, I'd ask on SegwayChat if another Segway PT owner located near you would mind if you visited and swapped on their Lithium packs for a minute to two to discover if your machines are operational (and compatible with Lithium). If you buy a $20 plug-in power meter you can also determine if the built-in battery charger on each machine is functional (we call this part the "CSB" which is short for Control Shaft Base).

If your machine(s) start up and the CSBs work then you know that you can get them running for the cost of new Lithium packs (or re-packed NiMH). With functioning battery packs your i170's will be just as useful and capable and fun to ride as they day they rolled off the production line. The first-generation Segway PTs are fun to ride!

If not, you'll learn if they are not software updated (and therefore you need to take a punt on getting a pair of NiMH's re-packed to go any further) and/or they either need a replacement CSBs (available on eBay), or they are deeply faulty and only the factory can repair them. At this point only you can decide on whether or not the costs of going forward are worth it to you.

For what it is worth, my guess is that it is VERY GOOD chance you'll be able to make one functional machine out of the two you have there, and there is a GOOD likelihood both are still ok (once you take care of the battery issue).

All the best!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #9
JPTL

5 yr Member

Thanks for the replies.
Very helpful and useful info.
I found a somewhat local Segway authorized dealer in Annapolis and plan to load them up and bring them by to see if they're operational. These guys operate Segway tours, so I'm sure they know the ins & outs with these and can advise me on my options.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #10
JPTL

5 yr Member

This sticker is on one of the units:

Does this mean that this was updated?