SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Old user
Old user is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Newbee needs help

Hello All, I learned to glide last Summer on a off road model and loved it. Last week I was able t borrow a similar unit at work. It had been plugged in for nearly a year without any use. I unplugged it and hit the power button on the key. All that showed up on the key was two zeros. I changed the key battery and still nothing. Any idea what I should do next. I'm dying to use it but don't know what to do to get it running. Thanks for any suggestions. Old User
Old user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old user View Post
Hello All, I learned to glide last Summer on a off road model and loved it. Last week I was able t borrow a similar unit at work. It had been plugged in for nearly a year without any use. I unplugged it and hit the power button on the key. All that showed up on the key was two zeros. I changed the key battery and still nothing. Any idea what I should do next. I'm dying to use it but don't know what to do to get it running. Thanks for any suggestions. Old User
The power button on the info key is the one at the 7 o'clock position, if the 00 is at the top.

Also, is there a tiny MI/H blinking near the 00? That is the display for the trip odometer. It is not related to the machine going on or off.

When you hit the power button (the only button with a target pattern on the metal) you should at least get a tiny antenna symbol at the 6 o'clock position.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hello Old User, this is usually a sign that the battery in the InfoKey is depleted, however you stated that its been changed.

If you are 100% sure that the battery is functional now, you can try to start the unit while plugged in, if successful, it will alert on the unit and you can unplug and start.

Cheers and Welcome!
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Old user

5 yr Member

I do get the tiny antenna symbol at the bottom. I will try starting while plugged in and let you know how I make out. THANKS
Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I actually have another idea...
Since the key is showing tha antenna but not starting it, you may possibly be using an InfoKey for a different Segway.

Is there any way for you to check this?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Old user

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
The power button on the info key is the one at the 7 o'clock position, if the 00 is at the top.

Also, is there a tiny MI/H blinking near the 00? That is the display for the trip odometer. It is not related to the machine going on or off.

When you hit the power button (the only button with a target pattern on the metal) you should at least get a tiny antenna symbol at the 6 o'clock position.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
I actually have another idea...
Since the key is showing tha antenna but not starting it, you may possibly be using an InfoKey for a different Segway.

Is there any way for you to check this?

Well I tried it today while plugged in and it still didn't start. When I push the power button a small antenna symbol does appear at 6'oclock but disappears when I release it.
I may have the info key to another unit but I doubt it. I'll check that next.

When I plug the Segway into the wall outlet I get a green and a red light. After it has been plugged in all day I have only a green light lit. Does this mean anything?

THANKS
Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Well I tried it today while plugged in and it still didn't start. When I push the power button a small antenna symbol does appear at 6'oclock but disappears when I release it.
I may have the info key to another unit but I doubt it. I'll check that next.

When I plug the Segway into the wall outlet I get a green and a red light. After it has been plugged in all day I have only a green light lit. Does this mean anything?

THANKS
Try swapping positions of the batteries.
The case is usually that if its red, it remains red, so swapping should be the next thing to try...

Also, take the battery out of the InfoKey and put it back in.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Yes. There are two batteries, so there are two lights.

They should be green which means the segway is happy with the batteries fitting its expectation. Solid green means charging, blinking green is that they are topping off, or trickle charging. But always 2 LEDs.

The front LED indicates the front battery, the rear LED the rear battery.

If there is only one green, and one red LED at a particular time, it means one good battery and one bad battery at that moment. IF the red LED goes out, and does not turn to green, it means that for some reason, the segway has given up on trying to charge that battery.

Your segway will not start up with only one good battery.

Sometimes, the problem is not really the battery, but is the connection, or that you want to reset the segway. You can do this by replacing both batteries, or swapping them.

Before you do this, be sure you know where the green LED is, and where the red LED is. IF you swap the batteries front to back, and the red LED follows, then it makes sense that the battery indicated by red LED is bad, or at least something is wrong with it. It does not mean it will never work again, but it does mean that you need to do something more than wait for the segway to correct the problem, as that will not happen.

I do not recall as I have never seen it, but I think the segway gives an error code if the battery is there, and it knows it is bad. I am not sure about this however.

I do know that you will not ever be able to start the segway if it thinks one of the batteries is bad.

By the way, many times people think the segway has been plugged in when it really was not. In this case, most often the rear battery will go dead, and then too dead for the segway itself to revive it. IF your rear battery is giving the red or no LED then it most likely spent a significant amount of time not being plugged in to active current, regardless of what you were told.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Smile

Quote:
When I plug the Segway into the wall outlet I get a green and a red light.
Does this mean anything?
Yes.
That means a lot.

One battery is OK, and one battery is not OK.
The one that matches with the Red LED is the bad one.

The bad battery can probably be revived.
There's a 75% or better chance.

Send me a message either here or via www.dgbint.com

I should be able to give you guidance, that is quite nearby for you.

Cheers
Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
Old user

5 yr Member

Today I swapped the batteries front to back. Now the green light is in the back instead of the front. The info key now lights up like its trying to start the unit but changes to error code EO42. Any ideas? You guys are great. THANKS again.