SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Segway PT Sighting Amsterdam!

No, I wasn't there, but I watched a video of the recent Apple Store opening in Amsterdam and I found a Segway PT in the crowd outside the store. Watch it here. It's at :23 from the end on the countdown timer. A young man wearing an orange t-shirt is on an i2 facing away from the camera.

Have you been to the new Apple Store, Florin? I think it opened last Monday, the 5th.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Very good eye!

The orange shirt says "Tour Guide", and the guides shown on http://www.amsterdamsegway.com/ wear the same shirts.

With regards to the Apple store opening, I am always amazed at to what lengths fanboys will go to spend money at Apple. Though I am appalled and disgusted at the working conditions that Apple allows to exist at their manufacturing contractor in China (Foxconn), I have to admit that Apple marketing is first rate. Would that some of Apple's capabilities flowed to Segway, instead of Segway talent fleeing to Apple.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
Very good eye!

The orange shirt says "Tour Guide", and the guides shown on http://www.amsterdamsegway.com/ wear the same shirts.

With regards to the Apple store opening, I am always amazed at to what lengths fanboys will go to spend money at Apple. Though I am appalled and disgusted at the working conditions that Apple allows to exist at their manufacturing contractor in China (Foxconn), I have to admit that Apple marketing is first rate. Would that some of Apple's capabilities flowed to Segway, instead of Segway talent fleeing to Apple.
I'm always amazed how some insist on trivializing Apple's real achievements: the most valuable company on the planet with a $500B+ market cap; $100B in cash reserves; 362 retail stores worldwide; all EARNED--NOT merely with marketing, but by producing a line of excellent products which are in universally high demand around the world, and a carefully designed ecosystem of hardware, software, sales, service, retail, etc. all working together smoothly which naturally attracts and KEEPS its customers satisfied for (in my case) over two and a half decades.

I'm not continually thinking of ways to spend money at Apple. I, like millions of others, know how my life has been changed and how it is better because of Apple products and how I've used them in my work and in my life.

It's not "clever marketing", as if I'm some mindless drone or sheep being tricked or led somewhere. It's Apple's real commitment to making, like Steve Jobs said, "The best products on the planet."

As you trivialize this, you declare your other priorities, and you deny yourself at least some of the pleasures and benefits of owning and using Apple products.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
Old 03-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
BringOnI2
BringOnI2 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayDan View Post
you deny yourself at least some of the pleasures and benefits of owning and using Apple products.
There's also the pleasures of developing for the Apple platform

Last edited by BringOnI2; 03-09-2012 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: linking 35 minutes into a video doesn't work with embedding
Old 03-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Sorry Dan, wasn't me.

I'm also not the segway camera guy at 04:35 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=SEQkftiNzK8#!

But still, I'm really happy with the fact that we finally have an Apple Store, too bad it's on the other side of the country, so it will take me 2 hours to get there

Florin
Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringOnI2 View Post
Nothing worthwhile is easily obtained.

This developer should know that, "That's the biz." when dealing with Apple. I have no sympathy for his sob story, and I also know that Apple has paid out over $4B to its registered developers.

That's a tasty carrot for many, but it's not without Apple's terms which are clearly laid out for anyone to consider.

I'm a registered developer myself, still in my learning stages and still without a published app. But I'm not about to ever resort to whining like this bloke.

And I don't appreciate my thread getting hijacked by y'all.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 03-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I'm happy for you, Florin! What a beautiful store--Apple's largest to date, BTW. Hey, two hours makes it all the more special a trip, what? Cheers!

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
I'm always amazed how some insist on trivializing Apple's real achievements: the most valuable company on the planet with a $500B+ market cap; $100B in cash reserves; 362 retail stores worldwide; all EARNED--NOT merely with marketing, but by producing a line of excellent products which are in universally high demand around the world, and a carefully designed ecosystem of hardware, software, sales, service, retail, etc. all working together smoothly which naturally attracts and KEEPS its customers satisfied for (in my case) over two and a half decades.

I'm not continually thinking of ways to spend money at Apple. I, like millions of others, know how my life has been changed and how it is better because of Apple products and how I've used them in my work and in my life.

It's not "clever marketing", as if I'm some mindless drone or sheep being tricked or led somewhere. It's Apple's real commitment to making, like Steve Jobs said, "The best products on the planet."

As you trivialize this, you declare your other priorities, and you deny yourself at least some of the pleasures and benefits of owning and using Apple products.
I do draw a distinction between reasoned purchasers/users of Apple products, and those folks, for example, who make up the hordes standing in a line that is blocks long, simply to enter a commercial establishment and look at/purchase products that will still be there next week. Another characteristic of a fanboy is one who strongly defends Apple, even when they don't deserve being defended. I didn't claim anyone on this forum is a fanboy. Readers can draw their own conclusions about that.

I can't disagree with the current capitalization numbers, or cash in the bank. I assume they are accurate. I can wonder why that is the case, compared to some other companies, but that's a question for investors. I can also point out that AOL was valued at $240 billion in 2001, and that as of 2012, they were at $2.3 billion. There are lots of other case studies that could be brought to bear. Blackberry, anyone? Nokia? Technology is a business with a very pointed end. Being successful today says very little about the prognosis for tomorrow and the product cycle is very, very short. A lot of companies, including Google and Microsoft are working very hard to eat Apple's lunch.

For those whose memories have faded, I will also point out that Apple has not been keeping all of it's customers satisfied for two and a half decades. In fact, as recently as 1997, they weren't keeping very many customers happy at all. They had experienced three years of record low stock prices and had huge financial losses. Then Steve Jobs was brought back in, and his genius revived the company. Now he's gone, and we'll see what happens. I wish I had purchased a lot of Apple stock in 1998, but I certainly wouldn't buy any now.

Note that I did not use the phrase "clever marketing". It is clever, but I said that the marketing is "first rate". It works very well. That's a compliment. Apple generally (but not always) has good products. I own several myself (discrediting any questions about declaring my priorities and denying myself Apple-related pleasures), but anyone who claims that Apple's marketing has not contributed significantly to their success is not seeing things clearly.

I note that there was no response about the working conditions at Foxconn, where multiple workers have, or have tried to commit suicide by leaping from the roof of the plant, allegedly due to working conditions. One way Apple makes so much money is this low cost manufacturing. Apple says they are trying to clean this up, but hundreds of thousands of people have signed petitions, seeking an "ethical iPhone". Ouch. Apple's very financial success makes one wonder why they think they have to go offshore for manufacturing, as their huge net income shows that they clearly do not. Honda, or even Hyundai are far more invested in the US than is Apple.

I also made the point that I wished that some of Apple's talent flowed to Segway, instead of from Segway to Apple. That's another compliment for Apple.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

I watched that episode and that it costs $600.00 to make each I-Phone, and the retailers take a loss on each one they sell at $200 or more hoping to make up the difference and then some on the 2 year contracts.

About the suicides, I think that maybe perhaps Foxconn may have cleaned up their acts after the explosions and even right before the interviews. But I feel that anyone working those many hours overtime just to send home money to their families, being away from them and needing to live on campus to survive, and living in close quarters with 6 other people would be very dramatic on anyone. So I could see why this was going on. They also saw a need to get counseling for anyone who needed it, which is an excellent response to try to help solve those problems.

So being that Foxconn makes other electronic devices for other major manufacturers the problems shouldn't be wholly attributed to just Apple. Is Foxconn owned by Apple or just a supplier for the Apple products?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetmanKen View Post
I watched that episode and that it costs $600.00 to make each I-Phone, and the retailers take a loss on each one they sell at $200 or more hoping to make up the difference and then some on the 2 year contracts.

About the suicides, I think that maybe perhaps Foxconn may have cleaned up their acts after the explosions and even right before the interviews. But I feel that anyone working those many hours overtime just to send home money to their families, being away from them and needing to live on campus to survive, and living in close quarters with 6 other people would be very dramatic on anyone. So I could see why this was going on. They also saw a need to get counseling for anyone who needed it, which is an excellent response to try to help solve those problems.

So being that Foxconn makes other electronic devices for other major manufacturers the problems shouldn't be wholly attributed to just Apple. Is Foxconn owned by Apple or just a supplier for the Apple products?
Let's not forget, in our rush to help them, that these people are working to make money to feed their families, and taking it away may well do more harm than good.

I'm not saying, do nothing -- but uninformed knee-jerk reactions often do more harm than good. If we all boycotted Apple, and these people lost their jobs, and we bought from 100 other companies with similar problems in smaller locations -- have we accomplished anything?

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Closed Thread