SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #51
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Quade's post #1
Now, I could see this if we were in church or even a openly public setting where an (in my opinion) conservative person might not want to be exposed to things like that, but remember the circumstances here. He was offended that we were using the "lord's name in vain". So, just to contrast, while in hellphish's quote he has written "godd***", I've written "g-- damn", which brings me back to what triggered this off-topic post to begin with. BTW, yes, I am sensitive to certain religious teachings in which the name of the deity can't be written on anything non-permanent which is why I generally use my version if I'm concerned at all.

Comments?

Is the guy nuts to expect people to conform to his standards or are we insensitive for using the phrase under these circumstances?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
A couple reflections.
Karl's post # 10
On the OP question, I believe that as moderator of that group, you get to set the tone for that group, and set the rules of behaviour. You set them, and enforced them.

If a person is offended by you guys breaking one of the commandments, that is his right. If he chooses to be offended and still stay, that is his right as well, as long as he does not choose to break the rules of the group, which apparently do not include the commandments.

I do not think he was right or wrong, but simply exercising his rights of free association. I believe that the same document that guarentees all United States citizens the right to free speach also guarentees them the right to associate with whom they please.

I find ad hominem attacks more offensive than vulgar adjectives. Each of us is different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Ah . . . the great defense and weapon of the internet; umbrage.

INTERNET BICKERING TIP #3
"When people make a inference based upon another person's words, be certain to take umbrage to the highest level and say they lie."

The fact is, you did mention the 3rd Commandment which is where the implication begins. See post #10 this thread.
Compounding a lie by adding annother does not make it go away. Also, bad behaviour cannot be justified by pointing to other bad behaviour.

Also, I did not say that YOU lied, just that I did not like them, and then offered an example. If you do not think that my example was valid, you could have offered a better example.

I did say that I was refering to a value that Quade, as the original poster, had offered in post #1. That is where I got it.

I still do not believe there is a place here on this thead that I said I was offended by that phrase.

I am however happy to restate that I am offended by ad hominem attacks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #52
Swedishfish
Swedishfish is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

From www.wikipedia.com (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominum)

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #53
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

To paraphrase Whoopi Goldberg, the words themselves are not hurtfull, it's the swearers intentions that are hurtfull. (forgive typos, no spellcheck on wii)
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:21 AM   #54
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
And also used in the GREAT new Battlestar series! Who is the fifth Cylon?
Hear hear...damn, I may have to actually get cable next month!
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #55
Llarry
Llarry is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default For automated language editing...

Pam, (and anyone else) if you're interested in seeing that language substitution in action, the forum at a hobby site I frequent:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

(I believe you only need to register to reply, not to read)

Has it in full swing. It may be a different underlying software package, but the effect is the same. The owner, Steve Bamford, is a nice guy and would likely share any tips on usage, including optimizing the substitution list. He has some fairly extensive substitutions, including, I believe that the four-letter fornicative (as my boss calls it) gets turned into "Call me Mr. Potty-Mouth".

Now as to the original topic... While I don't believe that profanity is generally necessary, there are times when it does more accurately convey the speaker's meaning. The fact that it doesn't shock as much as it used to (in most contexts) is actually something of a loss, in that we've become dulled to the extra shades of meaning possible in rare cases.

As to Battlestar Galactica, I do have some issues with the usage in the current series. I am not *offended* by such language, but I think they have perhaps gone too far for their environment. In the original series, "frack" and "felgercarb" were fairly generic oaths (much like Mork's "Shazbat!"). Yes, from context you could assign some semblance of distinctive meaning to them, but not all that much. In the new series, "frack" is being rather explicitly used as the four-letter fornicative in all it's varied meanings and forms.

"I don't know who decided that a good way to sell products and services would be to shove unwanted software onto people's computers surreptitiously, but on the off chance those people are reading this, hey, best of luck with that eternal damnation thing..." -- Joe Sheehan
Llarry is offline   Reply With Quote