SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #21
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

OK, guys, please clean up the language a bit, even if this is a thread about the use of language. You all can discuss it all you want, but please use appropriate PG language.
Thanks!
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
C**p, I was going to keep my mouth shut.
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:07 PM   #22
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
OK, guys, please clean up the language a bit, even if this is a thread about the use of language. You all can discuss it all you want, but please use appropriate PG language.
PG or G?

In standard MPAA ratings an occasional "c**p" would be just fine.

http://www.mpaa.org/FlmRat_Ratings.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPAA_film_rating_system
Old 01-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #23
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
PG or G?

In standard MPAA ratings an occasional "c**p" would be just fine.

http://www.mpaa.org/FlmRat_Ratings.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPAA_film_rating_system

Quoting this.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #24
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

We don't run SC based on the Motion Picture Association's idea of what is appropriate.

Pam
Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #25
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
We don't run SC based on the Motion Picture Association's idea of what is appropriate.

Pam
Ok, you had just used one of their ratings though so I was really more curious as to what you may or may not have thought the term meant.

I'm perfectly fine with however you folks wanna run your web site. I'm just a guess in your house. But if I'm going to play be the rules I kinda need to know what they are and if people say it's a "PG" site, that actually means something entirely different than how you seem to be running it.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #26
pam
Last of the Early 30

Actually, I think the term PG has probably made it into the general public now to the extent that people don't think of it always with MPAA. Maybe we're actually talking about G here - -

I think, as a whole, we're pretty intelligent, somewhat intellectual people who can have an enlightening, interesting conversations (and even disagreements) without the use of swear or profane words. I may be more liberal in my personal life, but I do try to remember that the forum is also populated with teens and pre-teens who are fascinated by the technology as much as we are.

That said, I wish we had the software that would allow us to change certain words into other words. I think that would be fun. Some of the examples that were given on an earlier thread of this particular topic were really a hoot!.

Pam
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #27
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Default Slippery Slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
Well that's good to know! I didn't think it would be possible to get arrested for swearing in CA! I'm not saying that if you swear at someone and then get beat up that you have a reason to complain because you don't. All I was reacting to was the post that said that you could get arrested for saying god **** and that is crossing a line I do not feel safe crossing!

Jeremy Ryan

I find it interesting that you feel it is reasonable and expectable that a citizen may beat you up for saying an offensive statement, specifically to take the Lord's name in Vain, which I believe is against the commandments. You do not seem to feel it is reasonable for the law to act upon you for doing it, but that citizens can.

I share with you that it seems a bit much to arrest you for saying somethng offensive, but once a cop tells you to cut it out, I can see that as what you should do, or risk legal problems...

I do not share your opinion that it is ever reasonable for a non official to 'beat me up' and expect to get away with it.

Regardless of what I say, and regardless of what legal problems I make for myself, assault and battery is still illegal, and there is no way to justify that...

Under the law, the only defense I can imagine is that the offending utterer would have to have been deemed as threatening the health or safety of the batterer, with his words. That is a stretch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 PM   #28
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
I am starting to rethink moving to CA in a few years. I have never heard of something so atrocious as being able to be arrested for saying god ####. You see this phrase does not qualify as being protected under the freedom of speech, however it is also (at least not in WI) not at all illegal to say or scream or whatever in public! Please, someone, tell me that I cannot be arrested for saying this in a CA mall or anywhere in CA public. Otherwise I will choose a less hitleresque place to live!

Jeremy Ryan
Jeremy, it's not a CA law. I don't know where you got that.

If you use offensive language in a threatening way anywhere in the USA, you can be arrested. I'm not talking about stubbing your toe at a mall and shouting "GD IT", I'm talking about using it in a threatening tone towards someone anywhere; including Madison. The point I was making, is that the Freedom of Speech amendment doesn't mean anyone can say anything to anybody anytime they like. Some people don't understand this.

The pointis, if you use swearwords that you know will offend people, legal or not, it's rude. Masking words that are obvious do the same thing. Any consideate person wouldn't do this.

Tim

PS: You ought to consider your position on California. 36.5 million Americans live here; millions, like me, who moved here from other places like Florida, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. Using really insulting terms like "Hitleresque" is really something you should think twice about before you hit the send button.
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 PM   #29
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:

That said, I wish we had the software that would allow us to change certain words into other words. I think that would be fun. Some of the examples that were given on an earlier thread of this particular topic were really a hoot!.

Pam
Some of the other family boards I post on changes B****H to "female dog" after you hit send. People have to put their thining caps on there and use other vocabulary.

Tim
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #30
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timezkware Tim View Post
Jeremy, it's not a CA law. I don't know where you got that.

If you use offensive language in a threatening way anywhere in the USA, you can be arrested. I'm not talking about stubbing your toe at a mall, I'm talking about using it in a threatening tone anywhere; including Madison. The point I was making, is that the Freedom of Speech amendment doesn't mean anyone can say anything to anybody anytime they like. Some people don't understand this.

The pointis, if you use swearwords that you know will offend people, legal or not, it's rude. Masking words that are obvious do the same thing. Any consideate person wouldn't do this.

Tim

PS: You ought to consider your position on California. 36.5 million Americans live here; millions, like me, who moved here from other places like Florida, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. Using really insulting terms like "Hitleresque" is really something you should think twice about before you hit the send button.
I guess now I semi-understand you. I do not know however how the term god **** could be considered threatening. Offensive yes, threatening no! Now I simply said that if you could get arrested for saying god **** in a mall that is , in my opinion hitleresque and could never happen in madison! If indeed your example of using god **** in a mall and getting arrested really can happen in CA then I stand by my opinion that wherever you live in CA is hitleresque. If it cannot happen then I do not think such a thing of the state.

I just wanted a clarification! Now if you actually threaten someone that my friend, by all legal definitions is assault and you can and should be arrested for that. If you offend someone but do not threaten them then that, in my opinion is between you and them assuming it doesn't cross certain lines (racism, discrimination, harassment, etc.)!

As far as your post Karl, I said something in which, after reading it again, I even confused myself. I did not mean that if a person offends someone it is OK fo them to be physically assaulted. I chose words that were different than what I actually meant. That was my fault. I think if someone is offended by someone else it is there responsibility to call that person out, albeit, in a respectful and constructive way.

For that same person to beat the person who offended them up would not be acceptable in my mind. It would, however, not seem too abnormal to me. That is what I was trying to say!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote