SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #21
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

SO, what is the "official" technique? One hand or two, does it matter?

THis brings up the potential for a new segway sport. Kind of a batton pass, via segway, always maintaining over 10000 rpm...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #22
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I think it would be hard to use two hands once it is going that fast. Your best bet is probably to stand up with your arm stretched downwards. I find this gives me the best leverage and lets me get my whole body into stabilizing my arm. My grip it straight from the top with my fingers, especially my thumb, dangerously close to the wheel. If you aren't going for top speed, you can use different grips to exercise different areas. I like to hold mine like a mug with the ball pointing straight upwards.

EDIT: I got a new personal best just now- 11,336 rpm

Last edited by hellphish; 03-05-2007 at 11:24 PM..
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:11 AM   #23
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

I just realized how lucky I was to get the 9800+ so quickly. I have not been able to duplicate it all night, and boy am I sore now...

I just pulled a muscle in my neck, below my ear!

8k to 9k is a good speed so far, as a regular target. Maybe after more than the first few hours, I may get better...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #24
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Still waiting on mine. They said 4 to 7 days, today is day 6. So anyday I should post a new "low" rpm score for 1st time use. What should one expect for the 1st time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I just realized how lucky I was to get the 9800+ so quickly. I have not been able to duplicate it all night, and boy am I sore now...

8k to 9k is a good speed so far, as a regular target. Maybe after more than the first few hours, I may get better...

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #25
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

My daughter's first go revealed a score over 15k! She is 12 years old. I didn't believe her until she showed me the display. For days I was amazed. Turns out, there is a bug, and under certain circumstances, it will show a particular score on the screen. Turns out this was the score! My self-esteem returned

I believe Asda in the UK have started selling them for £10. I've not seen one in there yet myself, but Asda is owned by Walmart. So perhaps you'll find one cheap in a Walmart store?

Maintaining a speed around 6-7k is supposed to be relaxing (ideal after a session on SC). I have to leave mine in work now though as the missus is fed up of the noise and the silly dance it forces me to make when going for those high scores.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #26
cruiter

5 yr Member
Default Came today

Well the mail delivered the ball, but not a personal meter to tell me to put the dammed thing down, you've played enough!!!

I did hit 8358 at church fellowship tonight with right hand. Left hand much weaker still from injury but getting better. Our retired pastor asked what I had, I told him it was a sex toy. He said "Let me have it, I don't know what to do with it, but I want it"

His wife said "Leave it with Jim"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
Old 03-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #27
cruiter

5 yr Member

Five days into it, and my best score is still an even 8500 hit two days ago. I guess a certain amount of cordination combined with speed (much of mine lost after 63 years) is necessary to hit the really high scores, but I'll keep trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
My daughter's first go revealed a score over 15k! She is 12 years old. I didn't believe her until she showed me the display. For days I was amazed. Turns out, there is a bug, and under certain circumstances, it will show a particular score on the screen. Turns out this was the score! My self-esteem returned

I believe Asda in the UK have started selling them for £10. I've not seen one in there yet myself, but Asda is owned by Walmart. So perhaps you'll find one cheap in a Walmart store?

Maintaining a speed around 6-7k is supposed to be relaxing (ideal after a session on SC). I have to leave mine in work now though as the missus is fed up of the noise and the silly dance it forces me to make when going for those high scores.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #28
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiter View Post
Five days into it, and my best score is still an even 8500 hit two days ago. I guess a certain amount of cordination combined with speed (much of mine lost after 63 years) is necessary to hit the really high scores, but I'll keep trying.

Several days now, and my best score is still the 9800+ that I got within the first hour. To date, I have gotten it over 9K a few times, but usually peak out in the mid 8K range, at best.

One good result, is that my wife has more respect for the segways as a legitimate purchase, now that she sees her 47 year old husband wiggling around with this screaming blue glowing ball. I cannot imagine the sight with my neck veins bulging and that weird dance and all...

Old 03-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #29
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

The key to break into the 10k range is to hold the ball as still as possible and use really tight, small movements. You should do your best to keep your whole arm stiff and only bend at the wrist.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #30
KSagal

I agree that it seems to be a lot of wrist, and only a little arm, but I was taking my lead from the video of the world record holder that started this thread...

By the way, what is the trick to starting without the string?