SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #21
RC Mike
Account Suspended
RC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg
Per the Geneva Convention, a POW is someone captured as an enemy combatant during a time of war.

1. To be able to quote the GC you must be a signatory. Hezbollah is not.

2. Lebanon and Israel are not at war so you can't be a POW

3. Hezbollah is not a country and can't declare war (well the can but it doesn't mean anything)

4. Hezbollah KIDNAPPED those soldiers and if they die during captivity that is MURDER.
Exact reason the Supreme Court's decision on Guantonimo Bay makes absolutely no sense. The treaty only applies to signatories, and Al Queda/Hamas/Hezbolla have not signed.

As far as the Isreal situation, send planes to Damascus and finish this thing. If Iran cannot send missles that way, then they will have to send them through Cairo. Simple solution there as well. Go back to 1967 and now you have a canal as a border. Not as easy to dig tunnels to smuggle weapons under the Suez. Oh well. Wishful thinking.

Mike
RC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:22 AM   #22
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroGo
So if they do, do they deserve credit for not taking this opportunity to use them before more "local" opposition to Israel fizzles out at this point? Or should we be extremely fearful that this conflict is not over yet, and cards are yet to be played?

maybe Newt isn't nuts?
Two things to remember, most Iranians are not against the US, Israel, or all of these so called "sworn enemies". Nor do they wish to see their country destroyed by the lunacy of launching nuclear weapons.

Unfortunately, their current leadership appears to be bent on establishing himself as a martyr and we can only hope that those around him have cooler heads.

As for your question, no, they don't deserve any credit for not already launching nuclear weapons or releasing a dirty bomb (a much more likly scenario, IMO). The potential destruction of their nation, fear of such a response, is all I believe that stands in their way.

And yes, we should be fearful that this conclict is only a match strike away from a much more dangerous global conflict.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:08 AM   #23
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I don't know of all the details, but it was related to me that the United Nations again attempted a anti-Israeli resolution. I was told that the lone pro-Israel vote was the United States, and that vote was a veto of the anti-israel resolution...

Good for us. Yet again, we stepped up and gave Americans a reason to be Proud of this great country.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:33 AM   #24
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

morning news:

Quote:
Israel also said Wednesday it did not plan to target Hezbollah's main sponsors, Iran and Syria, during the current fighting.

"We will leave Iran to the world community, and Syria as well," Vice Premier Shimon Peres told Army Radio. "It's very important to understand that we are not instilling world order."
GyroGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #25
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Any country that would even come close to using a Nuke in this day and age would have to be crazy. Those in charge would have to know that they would be signing their death warrant.

The scary thing is that I wouldn't put it past some fanatical leaders.

Pissing contests between nations are fine... but sometimes the piss can land on another's shoe, and then all hell will break loose.

We may be coming close to that. And I hope beyond hope that cooler heads will prevail.

-Sal
Old 07-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #26
ZoliHonig
ZoliHonig is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The president of Iran reminds me of hitler... same personality that can rev up a crowd and start a world war..
ZoliHonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #27
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Sign that a thread has outlived its usefulness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoliHonig
The president of Iran reminds me of hitler... same personality that can rev up a crowd and start a world war..
Long ago before the internet (in the days of newsgroups only), the sure sign that a thread had completed its "useful" life was when someone mentioned Hitler. It didn't matter what the context was or who was being compared with him. It just showed that the escallation of words had reached a crescendo, and things had gone so far that nothing meaningful could be said.

So on that note, I'll no longer read this thread. Heck, I'm not even sure why I'm reading threads in off-topic...must be a slow day.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #28
RC Mike
Account Suspended
RC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

I just saw some woman screaming at a news camera "Why do they bomb us, I do not attack Isreal?!?"

I wanted to scream back "Then why do you not get them out of your neighborhoods, out of your apartment building, out of your houses, Out of your COUNTRY!"

Mike
RC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #29
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe because Hezbollah also has an arm that is non-violent and actually provides humanitarian services to the population? Because there's a number of Hezbollah members that sit in their government? Mind you, I'm not defending Hezbollah, but I am pointing out why Hezbollah might be accepted in Lebanon.. and also why some people in Lebanon might well be pushed into defending Hezbollah, if Israel bombs civilians, women and children.

War begets more war until the last one is dead. How many generations did the Hatfields and McCoys feud?

Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:11 PM   #30
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
Maybe because Hezbollah also has an arm that is non-violent and actually provides humanitarian services to the population? Because there's a number of Hezbollah members that sit in their government? Mind you, I'm not defending Hezbollah, but I am pointing out why Hezbollah might be accepted in Lebanon.. and also why some people in Lebanon might well be pushed into defending Hezbollah, if Israel bombs civilians, women and children.

War begets more war until the last one is dead. How many generations did the Hatfields and McCoys feud?

Pam
Yes, members of Hezbollah kiss their babies, and take care of their relatives and friends. They live in a community that they have an interest in improving. I do not accept that people are either good OR evil, we all have done good deeds and bad, we all have kind thoughts and some not so nice thoughts about others.

But clearly one who lives in Lebanon who supports Hezbollah instead of other parties or organizations that can provide civilized solutions is making a choice in favor of what Hezbollah stands for. It is the duty of able bodied adult Lebanese to STAND UP and act in the best interest of their country. This current crisis is the consequence of that not happening.

It is clear that Israel does not TARGET innocent civilians, though they are sometimes unintended victims. Hezbollah and Hamas indiscriminately sends missles into populated areas and terrorists that those groups SUPPORT do TARGET civilians.

Pacifism is not going to stop Hamas and Hezbollah, this is CLEAR. I don't know about the objective of each Hatfield and McCoy attack, but I do know that Israel's purpose is to provide long-term security for her innocent civilians.