SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #31
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY-NER View Post
All of that below having been said, do I qualify for the "Guiness Book of Records" or not? So far, no information has been forthcoming stating otherwise. Should I apply for recognition at the Guiness web site? RAY-NER
When Dean Kamen announced that the Segway couldn't fly, it broke my heart. Does that qualify for anything?
RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #32
Eric Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
When Dean Kamen announced that the Segway couldn't fly, it broke my heart. Does that qualify for anything?
Ummm... an ice-cold beer in some dark, semi-musty backroads bar with a suicidally melancholy semi-CW song playing on the jukebox.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #33
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy (said while shaking my head side to side),

Courts, when there is no evidence, throw out cases, not "lean" towards the plaintiff as you imply.

Furthermore, the Supreme Court is NOT partisan. While they might have their own personal convictions, they can not, and do not, state which person / party they wish to see elected.

In the case of Bush v. Gore, the SC determined by a vote of 7-2 that the method of recount was unconstitutional. Note that vote majority...SEVEN to TWO. There is no partisanship there, it is readings of law that established this majority opinion.

In the second part of the case, the SC determined by a vote of 5-4 that there was not ample time to conduct a proper (equitable) recount in the alloted time. Before you jump on the dissenting votes, please note that 2 were appointed by Democrats and 2 by Republican. Again, no partisanship here.

So, President Bush did not steal the election, he won it based on the laws currently on the books. You may not like the results, or you may think you don't like them based on what people have told you, but the reality is that the election occurred as the laws of the country (and in this case the state) directed.

I, again, encourage you to do some research rather than listening to the "sea stories" (that one is for Five Flags!) that many like to repeat.

Finally, just so you understand the law a little better, a plaintiff must prove their case beyond a shadow of a doubt while a defendant just has to place doubt. This is why defendants (so called only in criminal cases) go free when there seems to be a preponderance of evidence against them (OJ Simpson is one many folks like to point at).

So, your statement re the plaintiff always getting the "break" (my words) is wrong...that goes to the defendant.

If you need / want some references IOT do research, drop me a line.

Steven
Steven, I have said enough on the topic and if we go further we will just repeat ourselves! All I am saying is that if cheating was involved (i.e. faulty ballots, faulty machines, dead people voting, ballots thrown out, etc. to name a few allegations), then he did not win by the laws. Cheating is against the laws of the country and it wouldn't matter about the recount! If the recount issue was the only allegation here I would agree that he was elected by all national lawas and that is a fact!

I cannot call this a fact, however until the other allegations that go far beyond Florida are proven true or false which I believe, in time, they will be! They may never be proven one way or another, but only time will tell! That is all I am saying! On a side note I would love a TV show where Karl and I duke it out (politically)!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #34
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

I guess I really should start out by saying I'm sorry to hear about RAY-NER's accident and do hope he heals well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
I'm not sure it is in the best interest of Segway enthusiasts to make it nice and easy for Segway bashers to gather ammunition, by posting a long list of those injured, even if all of us agree that the cause was human error.
Hmmm . . . I would see it differently (surprised?).

One of the web sites I moderate has an accident database. There are several reasons for this but among them is to keep businesses "honest" in their safety claims and to educate the users as to all the various ways things can go tragically wrong.

Being a pro-Segway user group and living in a litigious society I can see why some people might think they're somehow "protecting" Segway Inc by keeping this sort of information quiet, but I think in the long run it's a disservice to existing and future Segway riders to sort of sweep incidents, accidents and worse under the rug.

People underestimate the serious potential of breaking a femur. It's not something to be taken lightly unless you regularly deal with consequences much, much worse and even then . . .

Last edited by quade; 02-04-2008 at 08:27 PM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #35
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Yes, I am surprised. You have frequently stated that the Segway doesn't have the greatest image among the general population. With the number of people trying to ban the Segway (and anything else that is new), I feel a list of accidents would serve quite well the purposes of those lobbying against Segways. PI attorneys are only a secondary concern to me.

As far as sweeping things under the rug . . . I think I've been quite vocal in my warnings as to the damage one can do to himself with only the briefest span of inattention, because of my significant experience in that area. In the last 15 months, there must have been a couple hundred posts exhorting users to take seriously all warnings re the dangers of riding a Segway. I can't believe anyone would ever say the dangers have been minimized on this site.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #36
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Yes, I am surprised. You have frequently stated that the Segway doesn't have the greatest image among the general population.
True, but for completely different reasons.

Maybe a bit of a dangerous, "bad boy" vibe wouldn't exactly be the worst thing that ever happened to the Segway. Then again, I seriously doubt that's where it could ever go after White and Nerdy.

Of course, that's also at cross purposes with DRAFT et al., but I also think the fact remains that the device does have a certain danger potential that's frequently overlooked and I think a database of sorts (nothing more than a thread of incidents) would be invaluable to folks wanting to do a bit of research or at least keep track of who femured first.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #37
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
I guess I really should start out by saying I'm sorry to hear about RAY-NER's accident and do hope he heals well.

One of the web sites I moderate has an accident database. There are several reasons for this but among them is to keep businesses "honest" in their safety claims and to educate the users as to all the various ways things can go tragically wrong.

Being a pro-Segway user group and living in a litigious society I can see why some people might think they're somehow "protecting" Segway Inc by keeping this sort of information quiet, but I think in the long run it's a disservice to existing and future Segway riders to sort of sweep incidents, accidents and worse under the rug.

People underestimate the serious potential of breaking a femur. It's not something to be taken lightly unless you regularly deal with consequences much, much worse and even then . . .
I fully agree with this.

You don't need to tell a lie in order to purposefully deceive.

hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote