SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Halffro777
Halffro777 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Successful tour add on's.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you other tour operators had any great successes by offering any retail add-on's to their tours. I'm a six month old tour here in Tampa and I wanted to know if I was wasting time and energy by offering T-Shirts, hats, visors, etc. Also, I was wondering if anybody else has experimented with selling pictures taken throughout the tour to their guests at the completion. I am also open to any other suggestions on various chachkis that I may not have thought of.
Halffro777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I usually take photos on tour but I never try to sell them. These days, most people are carrying a camera anyway (if only in their cell phone) so unless I offer myself as having some professional photographic skills or equipment (not!), who'd pay for it?

I have learned the best places to take photos on the tour and those are not always obvious to the customer -- but that's not the main reason that I do it. I send the photos to the customer by email a few after the tour and therefore solicit feedback. Sometimes I learn something from that and sometimes it gives me testimonials to post on our web site. Either way, it is worth the effort. And, of course, the customer sees the service as a nice added value to the price that they paid.

I haven't yet offered t-shirts, hats, etc., but I'm considering it so I'd be interested in other responses. A baseball cap is easy (you don't have to stock a bunch of different sizes) and has utilitarian value on the tour too. They fit under the helmet and still offer shade from the sun.
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
MattG
MattG is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I've thought of it, but can only imagine how difficult that would be to coordinate on the back end (downloading photos, posting and clearing people to find their tours after a few weeks of pics building up.)

Seeing that it's FL, make sure you have beverages for sale. We see a lot of movement on water bottles here and it's only Chicago.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Halffro777

5 yr Member

One of the conditions of my lease was that I could not sell food or drinks because they did not want me competing with any of the restaurants in the area. I might try to open that part back up for negotiation.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halffro777 View Post
One of the conditions of my lease was that I could not sell food or drinks because they did not want me competing with any of the restaurants in the area. I might try to open that part back up for negotiation.

Perhaps you can sell logo items like insulated water bottles with your tour name on them, and they happen to come with a free fill up of water.

Or they have those small insulated sandwich bags you can add your logo to, sell them, and they come with a complementary sandwich as a bonus...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Halffro777

5 yr Member

That's a great idea. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

To somewhat expand on that Idea...

For some time now, a good marketing tool that is often employed at trade shows and other industry events is to have some little gadget or useful but inexpensive item as a give away, that is logoed with the company name that is giving it away...

I am sure most of us have seen the letter openers or the simple tote bags that are often at these kinds of places...

If you look into it, and can find a couple of items that appeal to you and are actually useful things that people may use anyway, like the travel mug or simple lunch bag, they can often be purchased for no more than tee shirts or other items cost, but may get more use (and therefore exposure) than the normal promotional items like tee shirts or bumper stickers...

My above suggestion was somewhat a go-around for the lease restrictions, but these things are often seen as good values if they are both useful and convenient at the time of purchase... and of course, the idea is to keep it fun and cute. You do not want too heavy a message on your water bottle...

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Perhaps you could do some cross-marketing with the restaurants in the area. You show them where the restaurants are on the tour, offer them coupons for a free desert or something (from the restaurant), and the restaurant might stock your fliers, or even a coupon for $5 off or something.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
MattG
MattG is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
The worst they can do is to say is "no."

I'd be up front with them and maybe they will make minor allowances - water bottles, but not soda etc. - to let you sell some of the tour basics.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
herbw
herbw is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default T-shirts are nice

In my opinion, you can never go wrong with T-shirts. I've even been known to do something (a tour, a ride, etc.) that I might not have done otherwise if there is the prospect of purchasing a sufficiently cool T-shirt.

(The one who dies with the most T-shirts wins!)
herbw is offline   Reply With Quote