SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
neoflyer
neoflyer is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default i2 on grass

I am currently looking at both a used i2 SE and an X2 SE. I expect to use it on pavement and grass that is typical lawn smooth. I don't expect to do any rugged terrain riding.

Will the i2 do well on level grass surfaces? I have a Ninebot miniPro with an aftermarket handlebar. I have ridden it on grass but you have to go very slow.

HOLD THE PHONE I just found out about the Ninebot PTR Elite E+. It appears to be the size of an i2 but can be bought for less than $2000, maybe. Has anyone tried that out. The used i2 and X2 are just under $3000 so if the PTR Elite is any good it may be the way to go.

Thanks for any help.
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
fabricGator
fabricGator is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

I have seen a few Segway promotional and safety videos that show the i2 traversing groomed lawns and hills at parks and business facilities.

I think I have decided on the I2 over the X2 as I believe the X2 does not really go well on sidewalk and has 1/2 the range (published)

I found a few offers on eBay and even less on Craigslist.
When it is time, the universe will align me with a good vehicle at a price I can justify.

Best of luck to you.
fabricGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
neoflyer

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricGator View Post
I have seen a few Segway promotional and safety videos that show the i2 traversing groomed lawns and hills at parks and business facilities.

I think I have decided on the I2 over the X2 as I believe the X2 does not really go well on sidewalk and has 1/2 the range (published)

I found a few offers on eBay and even less on Craigslist.
When it is time, the universe will align me with a good vehicle at a price I can justify.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks. That’s reassuring. Think I’ll go with the I2.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflyer View Post
I am currently looking at both a used i2 SE and an X2 SE. I expect to use it on pavement and grass that is typical lawn smooth. I don't expect to do any rugged terrain riding.

Will the i2 do well on level grass surfaces? I have a Ninebot miniPro with an aftermarket handlebar. I have ridden it on grass but you have to go very slow.

HOLD THE PHONE I just found out about the Ninebot PTR Elite E+. It appears to be the size of an i2 but can be bought for less than $2000, maybe. Has anyone tried that out. The used i2 and X2 are just under $3000 so if the PTR Elite is any good it may be the way to go.

Thanks for any help.
The i2 (and i2SE) model is a true general purposes machine. The wheels have a large diameter, and the device has the same motors and battery packs as the x2/x2SE. The i2/i2SE easily transverses hills with short to medium grass, dirt tracks, etc. Just remember that getting safety from one place to the next mostly comes down to maintaining traction, so you're not going to get as far on sloping wet grass or slippery clay surfaces compared with dry. With experience you can ride across gravel with ease, and on firm sand, too. With enhanced traction tyres (tires) you can ride in snowy conditions - there are many videos on YouTube showing just how versatile the i2/i2SE is.

Always take extra care when transitioning from one surface to another - do it slowly and evenly, especially when one wheel is still on one surface and the other wheel is on the next. Example: when riding along a footpath (sidewalk), during the transition where one wheel is on concrete and the other on (wet) grass - avoid any sudden turning movements or changes in acceleration.

I've personally had a lot of success with the IRC Urban Master Snow Tire fitted to the i2/i2SE wheel (rim) - it fits nicely under the fender, offers similar comfort, much more grip, and lasts 2-3 times longer than the standard tyre. The only real downside is it will carry dirt and mud indoors, so it won't suit everyone. With the Snow Tire fitted to an i2/i2SE you can get most places an x2/x2SE will take you, except across soft surfaces (soft sand, soft snow, soggy soil, etc). Of course the x2/x2SE also offers a bit more ground clearance, a supremely comfortable ride, better curb climbing, etc, but it is also wider (and a bit bulkier and heavier).

Here's a Segway Tour business using the i2 in the snow: https://segwaynz.wordpress.com/2011/...in-queenstown/

For more about i2/x2 tyre/tire options: https://segwaynz.wordpress.com/2017/...es-for-winter/

The Ninebot PTR Elite E+ is fun enough to ride in urban environments, but otherwise it just doesn't compare to the tough, well-built i2/i2SE. And most importantly of all, the PTR does not have redundant sub-systems.....which you won't miss at all....right up until the moment when you'll REALLY wish you had them. And it is not a matter of "if" that moment will come when you're merrily riding along, it is only a matter of "when" it is going to happen to you. Rather than a PTR, I strongly recommend you get the Segway PT model that suits you best - you won't regret it.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:35 PM   #5
neoflyer

3 yr Member

Thanks so much. I bought the used 2017 I2 SE I was looking at. I have noyiced a couple characteristics that concern me. When maintaining it at a standstill it sometimes can exibit a few small oscilations back and for which make me wonder if it’s going to toss me off. It could come from an input of the operator in response to a wiggle of the machine.

Also, a couple of times when driving down the street and approaching a higher speed it started an oscillation back and forth. It was scary since I thought it might enter a harmonic and through me off at 10 mph. Is this normal? Will I develop muscle memory over time to keep from contributing to the back and forth. Or is it possible there is a component problem?
Old 06-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #6
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflyer View Post
Thanks so much. I bought the used 2017 I2 SE I was looking at. I have noyiced a couple characteristics that concern me. When maintaining it at a standstill it sometimes can exibit a few small oscilations back and for which make me wonder if it’s going to toss me off. It could come from an input of the operator in response to a wiggle of the machine.

Also, a couple of times when driving down the street and approaching a higher speed it started an oscillation back and forth. It was scary since I thought it might enter a harmonic and through me off at 10 mph. Is this normal? Will I develop muscle memory over time to keep from contributing to the back and forth. Or is it possible there is a component problem?
That does not sound normal at all!....I have never had anything like that on my i2 or X2.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

It is possible that a new rider might cause oscillations. I have seen it commonly with new riders, who are subconsciously trying to make corrections. If you know someone who is a longer-term rider, let them ride and get their feedback.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
neoflyer

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
It is possible that a new rider might cause oscillations. I have seen it commonly with new riders, who are subconsciously trying to make corrections. If you know someone who is a longer-term rider, let them ride and get their feedback.
I wondered about that. Thought I might be “fighting” the movements of the Segway. I have a Ninebot miniPro with aftermarket handlebars and I don’t recall ever experiencing this. Would putting it in beginner mode help or does that just limit the top speed? I don’t think a Segway could do this and be safe in a rental or tour operation and be safe for novices.