SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
KANTENAH
KANTENAH is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I need some advice regarding maintenance

We have a company that run tours in an eco resort in Riviera Maya, México.
We have 10 X2. We bought them on April and started our operations on May. When we were considering the business, we spoke to Segway México and among other things, they told us that they could offer us a regular maintenance service every two months. The cost would be around 30 UDS per machine everytime.

After having tried to have a formal agreement for a long time, we received their proposal this week. Needless to say that their offer is far away from that amount as what they are offering means around 10000 USD per year. They want us to pay in advacen the whole year.

We have had several problems since the beggining with the support service from SEGWAY México. The machines are simply fabulous but first we needed to change a info key because it didn't work (we still have not received a new one and we send it to them about a month and a half ago); one of our guides lost another one (after having paid 310 USD, we received two months later) and we have two of the machines that showed the same erro (E047), were sent to México City about three weeks ago and it seems they will have to be sent to the US to check what's wrong with them.

Here is the question. How does it work in the US? Does SEGWAY offers a preventive maintenace service or you simply have to bring your machine to the suplier when they have any problem? And if any of you have any type of similar contract, how much do you pay monthly or yearly? I know we are talking about different countries but, at the end, they are the same machines.

Many thanks for your help and assistance.

SEGWAY FUN TOURS.
KANTENAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Here is a useful link to some of the error codes.

I run 9 Segways and find them reliable and needing no "regular maintenance" that would justify a dealer intervention. Keep the batteries on charge, check the tyre pressures and wash them with a bucket & sponge...that's about it and it has been so for 3 years in my case.

I would say you have been unlucky with 2 machines developing faults that would justify a return to base...but it can happen. Infokeys are pricey if you loose them, but a faulty one should be replaced quickly under warranty. That is what I have found either with work performed by the UK importer or for help/action from Segway US or the reapir centre for Europe in Germany.

It seems from how you describe your experience you have a less than efficient and satisfactory quality of service from your dealer.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
KANTENAH
KANTENAH is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Many thanks Rob.

I have to admit we are not really happy with the type of service we are receiving from SEGWAY México. I am thinking about giving them just one or two more weeks before we get in touch with SEGWAY directly to USA. We have invested in 10 machines but are planning to by 10 more for some of our other resorts in America and perhaps also for one in Europe.

I understand any machine can have problems but, as in my regular proffesional life, customer service is crucial. When you need something for one of this so expensive machines you cannot simply go to the store in the next corner and buy it. Unfortunately it doesn't work like this.

Many thanks for your advice. Do you have any web site where I can have a look to your tour?

Kind regards.

Felipe
KANTENAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Good luck with your progress and your expansion plans. You're right - aftersales service can be the difference between good and bad customer experiences as well as future business & referrals. The trouble is that there is no real competitor to a Segway.

My website can be viewed via the link on my signature. There are a couple of videos you can view on my tours page that illustrates where I run tours too. Thanks for your interest.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
dbaro
dbaro

5 yr Member
Default New?

Were the machines new when you purchased?
What about the guarantee?